Marlin camp carbine 45acp

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Oct 24, 2020.

1. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

S&W model 59 mags...

...I guess that makes me a nobody lol

wideym, CaboWabo5150 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The S&W 59 was the the go to 9mm before the Beretta 92 caught on.
    For a while Beretta developed hk syndrome so the 92 was like double the price of the 59.

techsar, wideym and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

#MeToo

wideym, Gator 45/70 and techsar like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I picked up 2 recoil buffers and a 21lb "extra power" spring. Turns out the marlin factory spring is 11lb.
    Since I sold all my factory ammo all I have for 45acp reloads is intended for a 1911 and they're loaded hot, even the cast lead.
    I was surprised by the amount of recoil the marlin hit me with, that's probably why.
    It's 45alla-akbar or 45 "I didn't really need that hand, I have 2 or well, 1 now" if you have a glock.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I put the 21lb spring in.
    That bolt will cut off a finger now.
    The buffer has been beaten pretty well.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Where did you pick up the parts?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh I just got them off ebay.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

RMR bullets has .451'' 230gr FMJ 45acp bullets I think made by armscorp for 17 cents each for 500. Which isn't a great price, but no where near the gouge prices I have seen. I haven't seen any 45cal 230gr FMJs in months, besides gougers selling them.
    Handy for 45acp and 45colt.

Oh and I got some lehigh controlled chaos .451'' 170gr bullets, these things look pretty vicious. At $1.06 each I only got one box. And no a 209 primer or large rifle primer does not fit in the hollow point, damn it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The camp carbine will kill. It shoots about an inch at 25 yards. It doesn't like to feed flat tipped bullets or HP ammo, but I should be able to fix it so it does feed.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Be careful about getting it hot, the rifling has a tendency to unscrew the barrel. At least with mine, this is so. Midway sells a thread locker called "rock set" I haven't had the opportunity to prove it but that is the propaganda.

11. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

heard that the longer barrel actually causes the rounds to lose velocity???

12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yes, 45acp round runs out of steam and CO2 by about 6 inches, then after that you are picking up any where from -10 to +25 fps per inch, you get a little more if you load real hot 185gr or lighter +P with slower powder like AA7.
    Standard 230gr is the worst in a carbine length barrel, but it's still faster than a 1911, by maybe 100fps, not worth the Hassel of 11 more inches of barrel to get that 100fps.

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I fixed that little feeding problem. It will feed anything now. It was my fault.

I talked to a cop friend about the model 59. Seems like they were kind of hated, known for jamming a lot. Were the guns worn out, did the US just not know how to make 9mm guns and ammo so the guns didn't agree with the ammo?

The hottest 230gr load I can find uses ramshot enforcer, about 13gr. It can make a 1911 spit out that bullet at around 1,000 fps at standard pressure. Blast and recoil would be pretty stout in a pistol.

I sold the wood stock for $125. Which drops total out of pocket to make it cheapest camp carbine I have seen in a long time and way cheaper than anything with a folder.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There is also a plastic bumper pad behind the bolt that needs to be replaced from time to time depending on use.
    If you ignore it, the recoil will damage the stock. I still have to replace the stock on mine.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah I got a 4 pack of neoprene buffers.
    I heard, I don't know how true it is that the original buffer was made of nylon.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

O man speer gold dot bullets are back in stock at midway for 50 cents each!
    No they do not contain any gold.
    I sold all my factory loaded speer gold dot 45aarp ammo at the height of the plandemic for over $2 a shot. At that price I can buy about 9 or 10 berry's plated hollow point bullets.
    Yeah at 50 cents each they're gonna stay in stock. I would rather get approximately 4 berry's 230gr hybrid plated hollow point bullets for the price of one 230gr gold dot bullet. Yeah the speer gold dot is better, but not 4 times better than berry's plated bullets.
    No ramshot enforcer yet, had the chance to buy it several times, I need to try out my 3n38 first.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Golddot bullets are still significantly more expensive than berry's.
    Midway right now 230gr berry's HP are 24cents if I buy 500 and golddots are 40cents. Pretty close to double.
    They weren't worth it at 4x the price during the plandemic and I don't think they're worth nearly double now.
    So cost per round is:
    27cents for the bullet after sales tax and shipping.
    0 for range brass
    2cents (rounding up) for CBI powder, which I probably have a lifetime supply of.
    6 to 8 cents for the primer depending on when I bought them.

Cheap 45acp fmj range ammo is pushing $1 per shot after sales tax.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7