Martial arts: handgun disarming techniqiue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tango3, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

2. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

That is a pretty amazing move. Most interesting how the "arts" use the pressure points and exploints every body joint's weakness. One woul really need to be close to a person to do this.

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

this is one of those Action is faster than reaction things if you practice the movements ,move unexpectedly with purpose you can beat the gun in the face scenario..folks don't think this is possible. ( read the comments under the video.) Especialy thuggy mcthug who always has an inflated view of his weaponskills.

4. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That is why I practice the "back up" method of pistol engagement. If you are close enough that someone can try those maneuvers on you, you get what you deserve. I used to marvel that people would attempt the "Take the slide off the Beretta" trick. Some people watch way to many kung fu movies.

5. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Martial arts teach a lot of great situation avoidance techniques.

6. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

ccw classes should also teach situational avioidance,

Just because your packin' a big badass1911 doesn't mean you should stroll in where angels fear to tread... though its easy to say "you shoulda' been more aware" after you've got a gun pointing in your direction..

7. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Listen very closely people, Do Not Try This. It doesn't work, it's crap. Nobody lets you accomplish 2 to 3 moves while they stand there passively. There is no predetermined technique for disarming someone, only helpful tips. Traditional martial arts is not effective (and yes, I'm qualified to say that). If it was really effective why isn't a single traditional martial arts "expert" even a contender in the UFC? The stuff looks good on paper (or in a controlled demonstration) but doesn't really work when tshtf.

Never listen to anyone that says "first you" "then you" "while holding"... forget it, it's a fight not a dance.

Tango is correct "action is faster than reaction". Solidly grab the gun and get it pointed away from you as quickly as possible. Get control of it by biting, eye gouging, whatever you gotta do.

You want to get good at disarming someone, get a partner to practice with and a rubber practice gun, and go at it. Just don't cry about the cuts and bruises, training that actually prepares you for a fight hurts sometimes.

8. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

sheesh

just bust his elbow toss him/her then knee drop on his throat. KILL KILL BLOOD GUTS!!!
    No quarter snowbyrd

9. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Advice well given Snowbyrd. You come up against a person that has a gun trained on you, the only option that is left is to kill them. Point and simple. I was just thinking of the 'technique' though.

You grab the pistol pointed at you, then spin with your back to them while holding their arm like you are on a date, what is to stop them from punching you in the head?

This theory is like a Murphy waiting to happen. What if he has a knife on his belt? You'll be stabbed through. What if he happens to hit you in the back of the neck with enough force to rupture something? And yes, there is a technique where you can punch someone in the back of the neck and they either die very quickly, or they suffer for a couple days. I forget what it's called though it's been done accidentally in street fights.

I wouldn't go all out on those steps. I'd step to the side where the master arm is, the one holding the weapon, and push block their arm to the opposite direction while delivering a throat blow. Or any facial blow for that matter. Hit the nose. If they can't see, they can't attack. And anyone who has been hit in the nose can tell you it blurs your vision.

And it is right that Thuggy McThug is most often not so tactically inclined, however a weapon pointed at you by a kid could very well be enough. Never surrender, if you have to go out, stand your ground and at least know you went out fighting, not like a coward.

With that said, never go to a gun fight without a gun. Haha.

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I'm not a qualified tactical instructor, (years ago )I could move with enough speed and force to move a cocked 1911 outta my face And disarmn my partner before he coulnd drop the hammer. I would not attempt it now being older slower,weaker but agreed alot of Martial arts starts to look like complicated dancing. too complexfor any body but a blackbelt.

That said Hey I just found the video...
    If you are not a practicing martial artist this is not something you can read in a book and make
    work without live full speed practice...

Gun owners Realize people this close can turn your gun against you and Even if you don't intend to use your weapons(?) the other guy has to assume you will.
    ( you would).

The technique they trained us to use was to thrust both hands upward (thumbs over laying trapping the gun in the "v" between the palms so you dont miss) get firm contact on the gun continue thrusting upward and to the left moving your head to the right. the operative point is to get your bodyparts out of the line of fire:fast in one movemet .
    after you get outta the line of fire and reach the peak of your upward thrust , wrap your fingers around the top of the gun and swing forcefully both hands and gun downward avoiding the muzzle. This is to break his grip on the gun. you should be in control of the gun , shoot the bad guy with his gun..

11. snowbyrd

well put

Him (her) or me? Defence in the first few seconds is most effective. The chop to the throat is one that I teach,a slight blow there is devastating. Too hard, you kill, too soft you still win. No quarter, pull a gun on me or mine and it is all out. I used to teach self defence to women and the handicaped, a cane, a chair. Mostly with the females I taught two moves, no thought to use 2. Kattas are ok if you like to dance. No thought, just do with two. Never think about the 'what ifs' just react. blah blah blah,, babble babble........ shut up snowbyrd

12. TailorMadeHell

I'm not big on dancin' as I never learned how so I agree with the simple tactics. And Snowbyrd, talking to yourself will point out that you are truly a monkey. You definitely fit in around here.

13. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

[clp][fight2]I'm very partial to the "snappy" front hand knife edge to the throat.[flag]

14. TailorMadeHell

Good move Tango, though depends on stance. Two stiff fingers to the throat from a frontal position is quite effective as well.

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I kinda like the heel of the hand upwards to whatever part of the head and neck presents itself. Nose, if possible.

16. snowbyrd

we never could

practice on one another, sparing wil cause 'ya ta' pull da' punch. Hang a news paper in a doorway and strike thu' it. One sheet not the whole thing, maybe. I can tear a fone book in half. Uh, along the spine GRRRR [booze] snowbyrd

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7