Matt Kline Shoots 2.815″ Record at 1000 Yards with 300 WSM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I found this article while researching records, Man thats some shooting !

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-with-300-wsm/

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Waugh!! Some shooting indeed, to go with very careful prep of the ammo.

3. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Amazing, wonder what his "rifle" looks like. Some of these things are almost blocks of steel.

4. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

That is an incredible record. 10 shots w/in 2.8" at 1000yds! I love to shoot for accuracy (my range is limited to 300 yds, but even if I spent the next 50 years practicing I'd never get close to his feat. Awesome.
    GB

oldawg and Brokor like this.
  5. Quigley_Sharps

MattKlineWorldRecord.

tss8.

7538d1350344473-bolt-action-gun-building-joelgun03a-1-.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2013
    Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Very fancy Bench Rester, way cool and very good shooting.

Georgia_Boy likes this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

It is amazing, but that's not even like shooting a rifle any more with a setup like that, it's more like comparing a M47 Dragon missile launcher to the vehicle mounted version (TOW). Granted, it's incredible grouping, and well earned. He still had to factor ballistics and coefficient, along with the making of the round, all kinds of skill involved. It's kind of hard to believe a rifle can be that accurate to 1000 yards, but guys like this pull it off!

I still remember training for the M47 Dragon, and holding my breath while keeping the launcher steady and remaining on target even though the smoke blocked my vision wasn't easy, especially with those wire guided missiles. Today, the Javelin and other target systems make it much easier to destroy enemy armor, just point and shoot, get up and walk away. With the Dragon, the man operating it had to remain still until that missile hit the intended target. No easy task at all. Life expectancy was about as close to zero as one could get facing enemy tanks on the battlefield.

8. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

That looks remarkably similar to a ballistics test rig.

9. Quigley_Sharps

The bottom pic isnt his rifle, ive tried to edit it out and it remains, not sure what happened.
    the top two pics are of his rifle and scope.

10. Quigley_Sharps

I hear ya, Ive fire the TOW and its hard not to follow the missile as it twists in your field of view as it goes down range.

Brokor likes this.
  11. Tyler Danann

Tyler Danann Monkey+

As much as I respect the extreme range-target rifles purpose-built for it, I'll always be one to lean towards the every-day rifle for long-range targeting.

tulianr likes this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There are VERY Few, "Every-day Rifles" that can hit ANYTHING @ 1000Yds, especially in the hands, of the average Shooter. It not only takes a designed Weapon, but some very select Custom Loaded Ammunition. 90% of the ReLoaders do not have the SkillSet to make such a loading, with that level of consistency... ..... YMMV....

tulianr and Yard Dart like this.
  13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yeah, just purchasing a set of competition/match dies is enough to cause me to wince. And talking about knowledge, my old man probably forgot more about reloading than I will ever know. For anybody wanting to know more about long range accuracy, and would like to see a little bit about what may be involved, here's a good place to start: http://www.rwhart.com/v2/index.asp

I may or may not live a stone's throw from the shop. :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7