Meat Canning

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by overbore, Sep 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Today on the way home I stopped at a local bar. Actually I stopped at a friends house and walked around to the covered back porch. There is a table and chairs there as well as a spotting scope, binoculars, a large back 40 and a deer feeder within sight near the back. I keep a bottle at his house and he enjoys the visits and talks as much as I do. Nice to have neighbor.
    He had a 2 catalogs from a local store, Alachua (Florida) Farm and Lumber. Heck I didn't even know they had catalogs, and these things were slick, professional, and expensive looking to produce. hmmmmm ...... In glancing through one I found and item that should interest several folks here that can food.
    There exists a replacement 8" electric burner and pan designed to fit in most any electric stove range top that has one or more 8" burners. This burn is different from the normal burner in that has a higher offset from where the burner plugs into it's socket and the heigth the top of the burner surface along with the appropriate raised support tripod that rests into the pan notches under the burner. It raises the burner an additional 3/4 ". This replacement burner package was designed to allow reduced heat build up, damage, and burnout of electrical burners due to increased airflow. It sells for $40 at this site.
    It did not dawn on me that this might be a benificial info post until I was reading this post tonight. I will search out additional info appropriate to being able to order this item, and post same here.
    The standard disclaimer applies. I have no financial connection to this store or product in any way.
    here is the one found. shows they are out there. search was "raised 8 inch electric burner for canning" .....
    . http://www.apwagner.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_191&products_id=76862 at $27

kellory likes this.
  2. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I've canned a lot of chili and spaghetti sauce with the meat in it over the years, but never just "meat". However I am going to can bacon this year. We buy around 40-50 pounds of it every time we get the chance to go to this german meat shop about 5 hours away, and it takes up a lot of space in the freezer. We have a glass top now and I didn't want to put the pressure canner on it before but we have a fish fryer stand that runs on propane though and I'm thinking it'll be perfect to set the canner on.

4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Maybe so, Maybe not. Are you aware that the Ball Blue Book for canning changes almost every year. They are a mouthpiece for the USDA, and ape anything that the USDA says. Those of us who have canned for 30 plus years and have several Ball canning books recognize and may or may not agree with USDAs current "bible" on the ONLY way to can anything.
    The Ball Blue Book maybe a good place for newbies to canning to start. I would never consider it the end all source on the subject.

5. NotSoSneaky

Geez, never said it was. :rolleyes:

Whatever floats yer boat dude.

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Sorry, it's not you. The USDA is near the top of my sh*t list. They are so Agri-business and anti small farmer. It is a fact that whatever USDA says about canning Ball prints as gospel. My bad.

7. NotSoSneaky

No biggie.

8. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Tac, I also found it here Coil Surface Element 5303310285 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Looks fairly strong to me, an has the right watts for my Kenmore range. I ordered one. Hope it fits lol

9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Top view is spot on what I was talking about. Look at how well that burner is supported underneath as opposed to the ones in your range top right now. There is no side view in this picture to indicate whether it has the increase offset for the plug ins or the increased height of approximately 3/4 inch that seems to be the norm for a canning burner to allow some of the excess heat to escape instead of heating things up so much under the burner that you melt or burn the socket the burner plugs into. Otherwise this burner looks right for the job. The price is reasonable at $27 as well.

10. Hazmat54

Hazmat54 Monkey+++

Would a Coleman 2 burner propane camp stove have enough heat output to use a pressure canner?

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you can Boil Water, you can Pressure Cook Can..... So YES, a Coleman Camp Stove can DO that......

12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
  1. TnAndy
  2. Jaybird
  3. Big Ron
  4. DKR
  5. Ganado
  6. Motomom34
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid