Member Recommended Movies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blackjack, Feb 18, 2008.

1. dystopia

dystopia Monkey+

the good earth

when i was young (a long time ago) isaw this movie, The Good Earth with an actor named Paul Muni. I think about it now as agood example what people will do to survive and the poitical upheaval that go's with food shotages.

2. Catullus

Catullus Monkey+++

Don't forget 300.

3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

what?
    No Bourne Identities with Matt Damon?
    How about 'The Road'

I'll go with Red Dawn
    Any James Bond that doesn't have Timothy Dalton
    All the Mad Max's
    Lethal Weapon

'The Girl Who ..' Trilogy .

Ok and any other movie staring Matt Damon. Both the wife and I can watch his movies but I suspect for different reasons.

4. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Anything directed by Akira Kurasawa. Many of Hollywood's biggest hits were either remakes of or inspired by Kurasawa's works from the '50's and '60's. The Seven Samurai is regarded by many filmmakers and critics as the greatest movie ever made. The blending of storylines, mixing of drama with occasional comedic relief, all of these staples of modern movie making originated, arguably, to a great extend with Kurasawa.

Hollywood movies based on Kurasawa works;

Rashomon (1950) as The Outrage (1964),
    Seven Samurai (1954), as The Magnificent Seven (1960)
    Yojimbo (1961), as A Fistful of Dollars (1964)
    and The Hidden Fortress (1958), as Star Wars (1977).

"Akira Kurosawa ( March 23, 1910 – September 6, 1998) was a Japanese film director, producer, screenwriter and editor. Regarded as one of the most important and influential filmmakers in the history of cinema, Kurosawa directed 30 films[note 1] in a career spanning 57 years.

Throughout the 1950s and early 1960s, Kurosawa directed approximately a film a year, including a number of highly regarded films such as Ikiru (1952), Seven Samurai (1954) and Yojimbo (1961). After the mid-1960s, he became much less prolific, but his later work—including his final two epics, Kagemusha (1980) and Ran (1985)—continued to win awards, including the Palme d'Or for Kagemusha, though more often abroad than in Japan.

In 1990, he accepted the Academy Award for Lifetime Achievement.[1][2] Posthumously, he was named "Asian of the Century"

While I could watch Seven Samurai 100 times ( which I probably have) and not get tired of it, my all time favorite I think is Rashomon. It starts with a hienious crime and then proceeds to tell the events of the crime several times but from the perspective of each of the people involved. Seeing the same event through different eyes presents such a differing view of the story each time that it is fascinating. A classic.

Seawolf1090 and dystopia like this.
  5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

If you are a fan of Kurosawa, then you must watch "Sanjuro", the 'sequel' to 'Yojimbo'. Mifune is back as our favorite wily 'antihero' ronin samurai!

I have been rediscovering the old classics as I watch on HULU.COM. For eight bucks a month, I get all the TV/Movie watching I want, when I want - no schedules.

In the Star Trek movies, number four was the least good in my humble opinion - but it did mark the moment that Nimoy finally accepted his being forever 'Spock' - he actually seemed to have fun with this stinker, unlike the technically better second (Wrath of Khan) and third movies, where he seemed to be grudgingly playing the part. The Wrath of Khan was my favorite of the series though, because I like Ricardo Montalbon as Khan, and they had some good space battle scenes along with the high-brow references to Melville's Moby Dick - lots of tension and action! I often wondered though - did they do the USS Reliant's Captain's Chair in Corinthian Leather....? :D

I just watched a pretty good sci-fi movie that's a bit different..... "Skyline". Excellent FX, and tense action! And an ending that is..... different! Nuff said - watch it!

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Sucker Punch (2011)
    V For Vendetta
    Equilibrium

A few movies I watch over and over again:

A Knight's Tale
    Taken (Steven Spielberg's 10 part miniseries)
    The Boondock Saints (1 and 2)

7. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I have "Sanjuro" in my collection also. Love Mifune! I have some other movies that he is in that aren't Kurasawa. Can't recall the names right now tho. And of course the miniseries "Shogun". The books much better tho.

Next to "Seven Samurai" I would have to pick "Das Boot" as an all time favorite and classic. I also like "The Young Lions" and "The Longest Day". I think Brando had one of his greatest roles in Lions.

And I love the Saints!!

8. Drumbo

Drumbo Monkey+

I recently saw a film called "Get Low" with Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek and Bill Murray. It was excellent and after the third viewing I moved it into my Top Ten. Trailer: YouTube - ‪Get Low Trailer (HD)‬‏

9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Bat 21
    Space cowboys
    633 squadron
    catch 22
    flight of the intruder
    Death wish
    cool hand luke
    the entertainer

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In Harms Way
    They were Expendable
    Tora Tora Tora
    Midway
    2001 A Space Odyssey
    She wore a Yellow Ribbon
    Fort Apache

to name a FEW........

11. Seawolf1090

John Wayne in "Hatari!" was a good romp. I'm thinking it inspired TV's "Doctari" with Marshall Thompson........
    Quite a change from most of the Duke's work.

Aliens was one of my favorite SciFi movies. Saw it first in the theatre, and when Ripley puts on the Power Loader and faces off against Momma Alien, the crowd went WILD!
    Heck, even my 70+ year old father liked it - and he HATES Sci-Fi! [lolol]

Strangely, one movie that totally caught me by surprise was "Forest Gump"! I had avoided it for some time, but finally watched it at an aunt's house - man, I love that movie! It covers my whole early years period, and the soundtrack was awesome! Superb acting, and a really good story!

12. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I watched Seven Samurai in Japanese class, that was...wow I think it's been like 15years. I hate feeling old. And Star Trek IV The Voyage Home, was that one where Scotty had to adapt to 20th century computers and tried to talk into the mouse?

Movies I like to watch are The Winter Stallion(also called The Christmas Stallion), Out of the Woods(TV movie but available on DVD), True Lies, Dogma, The Princess Bride, Lara Croft Tomb Raider(first one, haven't seen the 2nd), Serenity, The Last Unicorn, and the only 'chick flick' I can stand is Fried Green Tomatoes.

13. Seawolf1090

For a 'chick flick', "Thelma & Louise" was pretty good.....

14. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Geez guys:
    Boondock Saints
    City of Ember
    A Few Good Men
    Brazil (I recommend that one for Brokor)
    Millers Crossing
    O, Brother Where Art Thou
    The Last Castle
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Breakfast at Tiffanys
    Ben Hur
    Platoon
    Apocalypse Now
    North By Northwest
    12 Angry Men (either the 1957 calassic or the newer remake)
    Blazing Saddles
    Silverado
    Barbarosa (Willie Nelson/Gary Busy - Can't go wrong.)
    GroundHOG DAY!
    Princess Mononoke
    The Usual Suspects (Best line of all time in this flick: "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.")
    Mr. Baseball
    Major League
    A League of Their Own
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Singing In The Rain
    An American in Paris
    Fight Club
    Shawshank Redemption
    The Rock
    The Dark Knight (RIP Heath Ledger)
    The Departed
    Gladiator (pretty good depiction of the later day Roman Empire)
    Taxi Driver
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Snatch (the dog made me laugh silly)
    Big Fish
    Good Will Hunting
    Dead Poets Society
    The Fisher King
    Good Morning Vietnam
    The Year of Living Dangerously
    Once Upon a Time in America
    The Green Mile
    Castaway
    Catch Me If You Can
    Amadeus
    Any of the Monty Python Movies
    Full Metal Jacket
    City of Lost Children
    Dark City
    AKIRA
    The Blind Side
    Watchmen
    The Name of The Rose
    Curse of the Golden Flower

Crap. I watch far too many movies...I'm not done, just getting tired.

15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Great movie. ;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7