mental exercise; new twist on a BOB

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by monkeyman, Mar 7, 2007.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I got a new job and will have to fly across the country to stay for a month or 2 at a time and it made me think of this. I have already come up with mine but am interested in what some of you would do, I will try to post mine later.

So heres the challenge. You have to come up with a BOB that would give you the best advantages you could if you had to in worst case, BO and try to hike up to 1000 miles home. Heres the catches, it has to be 'flyable' IOW since it has to go along with anything else you will need for day to day work (labor, so clothes and footware arent a problem) the whole kit has to fit in a mid size to small school bookbag type backpack at MOST and can weigh ABSOLUTELY no more than 25 lbs. It also cant have lighters with any fuel or lighter fluid and anything in it will most likely be seen by the 'alphabet boys' during screening. The bonus is you get $50 to add to it when you get to your destination but it still all has to fit in the same bag.

For any additional restrictions or loopholes you can go to the below link but the size and weight restrictions still stand.
    Prohibited Items

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I think "challenge" is a bit of an understatement..... that's a tough one MM.

You'll have to see about checking a pistol in somehow at the airport, there is a way it can be done, I just don't know it, and a shtf situation where you'll be hiking 1000 miles would definitely require a firearm.

I think possibly even more important than what's in the bag, is making a few "monkey" contacts along the route for assistance.

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Here's a list, figure you are gonna carry everything along way so ounces count...

Pepsi can alchol stove( buy denatured alcohol whereever you touch down (paint dept.of hardware stores,convenience stores: "gas line anti freeze"
    , carry it in a plastic mountain dew bottles,
    maybe a couple morebottles/caps for water..,
    katadyn or msr waterfilter)
    ultralight pot and cup
    decent folding knife, diamond pocket sharpener
    good fixed blade
    small wind up radio
    silnylon tarp( may be redundant with the poncho)
    2 good compasses
    (Nylon hammock?)
    poncho
    lots of paracord as much freeze dried and dried food as you can carry.
    hand fishing line,tackle
    metal match
    magnesium firestater blocks
    make up a bunch of cottonballs and vaseline firestasarter when you get there,
    can you check a personal protection handgun? don'tcarry enough ammunition to fight a war,you gotta avoid fights...
    3or4pairs wool socks
    wool hat and leather gloves
    sport saw
    Good swiss army knife and or
    multi tool
    moleskin /basicfirst aid stuff
    canopener if your knife multitool doesn't have one..
    couple of bandannas
    maybe a good auto paint cannister respirator if not a full gasmask..
    small led light
    1 spoon
    salt pepper/ tobasco lots...
    small map of usa...
    interesting problem,"E&E"ing home you can go pretty light and tough it out.course you can "hitch/steal rides" small motorcycle or bicycle...
    down sleeping bag of some kind would probably be necessary.
    pickup what food you can find
    Apalachian trail is 1200mi takes most folks at least 6 months"Grandma"gatewood hiked it several times in keds sneakers sleeping under a plastic shower curtain and carying her necessary stuff in a duffle bag over her shoulder.
    Stay outta confrontations, forget the whole combat mack bolan bullsh, leave the AK back at the ranch its unecessary...
    Think about cheap light stuff you can pickup, make or buy cheap once you get there...you could make a pepisican stove when you get there, alternately,one guy did the AT heating his food on a small plate of burning alcohol, lightest stove is no stove...I usualy pack an empty tuna can for heatbars and or just a few ounces of alcohol.

4. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Buy a knife when you get to your destination. All items you wish you had, but can't fly with need to be mailed to your destination by the Mrs. upon your arrival. You then have a complete BOB.

5. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Wow! That is a long way to go with a minimal amount of gear........

I'm assuming that you do not want to check your luggage, therefore, any firearm is out.

Everything else though could fit in the bag you are using.
    -You need shelter, a tarp would be the best bang for your buck here.
    -You need a way to carry water, perhaps a Camelbac type bladder that fits in the pack? Other options would be a Nalgene bottle or canteen.
    -You need a way to filter and purify said water, a water filter would handle the filtration, while bleach or fire would purify it.
    -You need a cookset consisting of a spoon, a cup, and a pot with a lid that can double as a frying pan.
    -You need some form of hard ration that will last for at least 6 months and is to be used when you have not found a meal.
    -You need a fishing kit as this would probably be your most "reliable" food source. (I'm not sure you could fly with small pointy hooks...[dunno] ).
    -Small first aid kit consisting of a tube of Neosporin, some band aids, some 4x4 pads, some duct tape, an ACE wrap or two, tweezers, ibuprofin, and a SAM splint.
    -Small E&E kit consisting of a flashlight with extra batteries, a space blanket or two, a compass, and some basic maps on how to get home.
    -Small hygiene kit consisting of toothpaste, toothbrush, comb, towel, and soap.

I would take the extra fifty and by the best knife I could find once on the ground. I would also get the biggest stick I could find to use as a walking stick/MZB beater. Finally, I would find a way to obtain a firestarting device, matches, lighter, flint and steel, whatever you are comfortable with using. Then I would put one foot in front of the other......

Just my .02,
    phishi

6. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Should be ableto UPS or mail yourself a box(general delivery to any post ofice...)

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

That "man vs. wild guy on discovery chanel ( ex sas "bear gryddel" or something or other)gets by on a canteen slung over his shoulder , a canteen cup , and a multi tooland a metal match.. :
    he boils water, catches fish,generally goes hungry, not comfortable but he makes it out between commercials...

8. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

I had the same thought driving to work this morning, I would stick with either UPS or Fed-Ex something you can track online so you know if there is an issue

9. Joe Dan

Joe Dan Monkey+++

I fly a good deal...

I carry (in no particular order and it may not be all inclusive)

A fanny pack survival kit with the lighters and blades removed - it has compass, first aid gear, al foil, cordage, water purification tabs, magnesium firestarter,yada yada yada.

Goretex jacket.

Sweater, hat and gloves.

A Boy Scout "spark lite" (ferro rod)

Military poncho and heavy space blanket
    Atlas
    I used to carry water ...

Power Bars and Peanut butter (PB in suitcase)
    Tuna
    A German mess kit (pot)
    Knife in suitcase

When I get to my destination I usually buy a case of water and chow and keep it in my rental car. PLAN A in an emergency is to get in the car and drive home.

If you have to walk home:
    You have to know the way (map and compass)
    You must have appropriate foot gear (shoes and socks)
    You have to have appropriate shelter - mostly my clothing
    You may have first aid issues
    You need to drink (carry water and H20 tabs)
    You need to eat (powerbars, PB, tuna and food I buy there)

It's not that complicated on the face of it.

If you don't mind going through the mild hassle you can carry a handgun (or long arm for that matter) on a plane in (or as) your checked baggage. If you have two checked bags you can even carry ammo too.

10. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Water first. Canteen and maybe a purifier or iodine tabs.

And the map is going to be mucho importante in unfamiliar terrain.

But I would say skip the road atlas. You would want to avoid most roads in a shtf gotta get home trek. I always recommend buying flight maps. You can find them at any local airport. They show visible landmarks from the air. Most importantly they show power line right of ways as visible as interstates. Also have elevation and terrain info.

11. Scavenger Flatbedder

Scavenger Flatbedder Scavenging The Wasteland

I don't fly anymore,unless on a private plane.
    Joe Dan covered the basics that I would take.PB is a definate survival food.
    Anything that couldn't be flown,would be mailed or purchased upon arrival at my destination.
    A cheap Bug Out Bicycle would be a definate.Just watch out for wire strung out across your route.
    I think water is banned on planes.Not sure.

12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My checked baggage always has a pistol and ammunition , unless prohibited, a sheath knife with para-cord wrapped handle and a few fish hooks, and a folder, a blast match, and two maple-leaf coins (gold). There is a compass on my watch-band and my watch is a Tag that will trade most places for a plane ride without appearing as ostentatious as a Rolex. I wear a gold chain around my neck that is easy cash/trade. I always carry clothes to suit the environment I'm traveling to and wear clothes suitable for the environment I am leaving. This is enough to get me home or to someplace safer from almost anywhere, one way or another.

13. monkeyman

OK, well a couple offolks figured outthe part that yes, you can indeed carry a firearm in check luggage as long as it is in a hard sided container thats locked (must unlock it for the inspection then relock it), and the gun is unloaded. Ammo can go in the same container and just has to be in a ammo box inside of it, the box they come in is fine, the limit on the amount of ammo is 11 lbs.

So here is the basic list on my BOB (some of the stuff is also for other uses).

Sidearm and 150 rounds ammo
    hunting knife hand made by me from industrial bandsaw blade
    3 Zippos dried out of fluid so wont light (in lock box)
    first aid kit
    4 feminine pads
    duct tape
    bag balm
    sutcher kit
    4x4 pads
    4 compartment pill box with
    ibeuprophen
    tums
    acidophilous
    imodium AD
    2 emergency blankets
    3 1 qt size water/sport bottles with pouches
    water purification tabs
    mess kit pot
    gatorade mix
    100 ft parachute cord
    1 spool nylon cord
    tobaco can fishing kit
    4 bandanas
    road atlas
    2 LED flashlights w/extra batteries
    copy of 'Naked into the wilderness' for refreshers/refrence if needed
    2 sets of work gloves
    1 lbs pack strawberry newton bars

When I land figure to get a bottle of Zippo fluid and some high calorie junk food and I figure to make sure to have some cash on hand as well to be sure I could try to buy odds and ends if needed early on if there was a problem.

Keep in mind, hikeing home is WORST case senario and least likely so wile it needs to be considered comfort for that isnt really an issue. Most likely even if there was a situation requireing me to get home on my own could hitch rides, hop trains, get a bike etc.

While it may not be our favored or normal fare, its had to walk a hundred yards in mostplaces without passing SOMETHING you could eat from cat tails to SOME KIND of critter, dandy lions, something. So I figure a day or 2 of food to supplement when starting out should cover even for haveing to hike it. Roll up in a space blanket under a tree and especialy in the spring, while ti may not be real comfy, you shouldnt freeze and can supplement it with debris if needed. The sidearm provides not only for protection but also for food from any critters close enouph to shoot with it.

So thats at least what I came up with.

14. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

What are the 4 feminine pads for? eek3

15. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

They are effective dressings for wounds. They soak up the blood nicely. Monkey 101.

16. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

if I were to fly commercially, (I've really tried to tone that down the last few years), I would only go if I checked a bag. I used to only go carry on but I really feel better having a handgun and a knife when I got to my destination

I'm with Sea on having a few pieces of Gold along for the ride.

17. monkeyman

Yup, the pads are for dreesings for any larger wounds, a LOT cheaper than compress pads or whatever.

I definatly figure to go ahead and check a bag, aside from anything else theres no way in hell Im going to be without so much as a decent pocket knife for a month or more.

18. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

1 flask full of bourbon. It could be an antiseptic as well as a internal pain reliever...don't leave home without it.[winkthumb]

19. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

The other items I would strongly consider would be:
    - Toothbrush/toothpaste
    - Dental floss
    - Bug repellant/jungle juice: skeeter can get pretty bad...
    - Camping cleanser/soap: clean your underwear, socks, and dishes
    - Box of energy bars (rather than the strawberry bars)
    My wife wouldn't believe it, but I can't stand going a whole day w/out brushing my teeth. The floss will save swollen gums if you get meat stuck -- you know how that goes.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  7. DarkLight
  8. Fatum1965
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Motomom34
  11. ED GEiN
  12. AxesAreBetter
  13. medicineman
  14. Oltymer
  15. Imasham
  16. Brokor
  17. Witch Doctor 01
  18. Legion489