Merry Christmas to my Friend Bear

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Valkman, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I've been meaning to make a knife for Bear for a long time - he helped me get started just like he's helped others here. But this guy is something, and when he gave a rare Simonich knife to help soldiers over at USN I knew I had to make this knife something special. First I took my normal Large Utility blade and stretched it a little and also made it wider. Then I did something which I had not been successful before at - tapering the tang and adding bolsters. If you don't taper the tang correctly you'll have problems you cannot overcome - or have a crappy looking knife.

I spent night after night this week fitting thses parts, and finally glued the bolsters and liners in place. Then I took stainless pins, put them in the bolsters and peened them heavily with a 4# hammer, then glued and clamped the handle material. I thought everything did not fit that well, but when I ground it the next day... well it was damn near perfect and I couldn't believe it. :D

So this, my friends is it, the absolute best I can make for a person who really, really derserves it:

3/16" O1 tool steel
    4 1/4" Blade, 9 1/4" overall
    SS bolsters w/SS pins, blue liners
    400 year old Birdseye Maple
    Mosaic pins in 1/8" and 1/4"
    Brass lanyard tubing, 1/4"

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's not done but I just wanted to show everyone and especially Bear what's coming. I have never been so proud of a knife like I am of this one! :p

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Wow, that really is your best work, IMO. :shock:

That is by far, a very kicking knife!

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

VERY nice, and Im sure it will be very apreciated.

4. Clay

Clay Monkey+++ Founding Member

That is amazing, you are truly an artist!

I'm sure he will be very proud to accept your work, I sure would!

5. Cousin Jack

Cousin Jack Knifemaker Founding Member

Wow Don...that knife is the Shiznitz! [beer]

6. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

That is some fine fine work !! [beer]

7. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

What do you mean you don't know how to taper a tang, good looking job. Really good looking knife.

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Beautiful. I know Bear will be happy!

9. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Beautiful knife , Don!

Like E.L. said...I know Bear will be happy!

10. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Wow!!!!! I'm speechless.... That's the nicest knife any custom knifemaker has ever made for me !!!!!! Thank you ! Thank you ! and Thank you !

11. Valkman

C'mon, I doubt that! :D You got some nice stuff! I can't replace the Simonich but hopefully I've made something you'll really like.

12. Bear

Nope.... I subscribe to the "I say what I mean and mean what I say" rule... I'm also careful about what I say in a public forum because there are alot of folks out there who can see it.... including all my favorite knifemakers....

I'll say it again for the whole world so there is no mistaking it.... "That's the nicest knife any custom knifemaker has ever made for me !!!!!! " No bulls**t here.... just sincere gratitude....

You "young knifemakers" gotta learn how to take praise and compliments.... :D

13. Valkman

Well, I am so proud of this knife I can't believe it. I had not been able to do all this before so it's a big step up. I might make that blade standard on my larger model because it sure is sweeeeeet!

I posted it in the knifemakers section at USN and the feedback is great. When it's done and logo'd I'll post it in the Custom Arena. :D

I'm really glad you like it!

14. Bear

Checked it out and posted a reply....

You're the best !!!!! [winkthumb]

15. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Wow. That is NICE!!!

But then again, so is Bear... :D

16. Valkman

Wow, from the feedback I guess I'd better make more with bolsters. I wish I could buy pre-made ones but I wouldn't do that - but making them from barstock is a pain!

I appreciate that Bear - I'm waiting to see what guys like Rinaldi and Lovett say. Trace is supposed to have a knife done for me at the Vegas Show, and I just ordered a Loveless Drop Point Hunter from Lovett. :p

17. BigUglyOne

What is USN ?

18. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It's a private knife board...glad you joined BigUglyOne as I think you will enjoy it.

19. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[bow]

20. BigUglyOne

Thanks ... looks like a great board, just joined it

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7