1. We've made all our Resources available to guests - would you consider a donation to support us?
    Please don't hotlink directly to these files, share the url from this page's address bar.

Handbooks Guides & How-Tos Methods of glass blowing and of working 2016-10-02

Glass blowing

1. GhostX

GhostX Monkey

GhostX submitted a new resource:

Methods of glass blowing and of working - Glass blowing

Read more about this resource...

Zimmy, Tully Mars, arleigh and 4 others like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Used to love the university glass blower in Los Cruces NM in the early 1960's. Made all kinds of specialized things for different departments. He used a compressor for air, turned them on a very specialized lathe, and could make a small still in about 10 to 15 minutes. Would let you watch, but if you talked or asked questions, you were "invited" to leave. Pipets, stills, evacuation systems, flasks, I don't know what he could make. Never did find out what glass he used, but it worked like putty and then he annealed it somehow. I hope someone got it down as it and the other instrument makers at that time were skilled craftsmen. Thank you for the resource.

3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

We used to go to the Drakenfeld glass plant and watch them blow different items. On occasion, folks would be given the opportunity to try it for themselves; alas, I was too young at the time. Now, they just do colors & pigments for glass and ceramics...and are an archived Superfund site!

GhostX likes this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have watched it done as well, and am very thankful for the link by the way.
    Being able to manipulate glass can be a critical skill post SHTF and especially learning about making lenses as well, for the visually impaired .
    Again thanks.

GhostX likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7