1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.
  2. We've made all our Resources available to guests - would you consider a donation to support us?
    Please don't hotlink directly to these files, share the url from this page's address bar.

Handbooks Guides & How-Tos Methods of glass blowing and of working 2016-10-02

Glass blowing

1. GhostX

GhostX Monkey

GhostX submitted a new resource:

Methods of glass blowing and of working - Glass blowing

Read more about this resource...
    arleigh, Motomom34, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey++

Used to love the university glass blower in Los Cruces NM in the early 1960's. Made all kinds of specialized things for different departments. He used a compressor for air, turned them on a very specialized lathe, and could make a small still in about 10 to 15 minutes. Would let you watch, but if you talked or asked questions, you were "invited" to leave. Pipets, stills, evacuation systems, flasks, I don't know what he could make. Never did find out what glass he used, but it worked like putty and then he annealed it somehow. I hope someone got it down as it and the other instrument makers at that time were skilled craftsmen. Thank you for the resource.
    Ura-Ki, Witch Doctor 01 and GhostX like this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey++

We used to go to the Drakenfeld glass plant and watch them blow different items. On occasion, folks would be given the opportunity to try it for themselves; alas, I was too young at the time. Now, they just do colors & pigments for glass and ceramics...and are an archived Superfund site!
    GhostX likes this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have watched it done as well, and am very thankful for the link by the way.
    Being able to manipulate glass can be a critical skill post SHTF and especially learning about making lenses as well, for the visually impaired .
    Again thanks.
    GhostX likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary