Mexican migrants to get US maps

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by martin97, Jan 25, 2006.

1. martin97

martin97 Fuel busted Trucker. Founding Member

A Mexican government agency is to issue some 70,000 maps marking main roads and water tanks for people wanting to cross illegally into the US.

The National Human Rights Commission says the maps will be aimed at cutting the death toll among migrants.

US advocates of tougher border controls have criticized the move, saying it will encourage illegal immigration.

Relations between the US and Mexico have cooled recently over US plans to build a fence on parts of the border.

The map plan is backed by Humane Borders, a US-based organization which operates about 70 emergency water stations near the 3,200-km (2,000-mile) border.

'Not helpful

Launching the project in Mexico City, officials from Mexico's Human Rights Commission (HRC) flatly denied they were trying to encourage greater migration.

"The only thing we are trying to do is warn them of the risks they face and where to get water, so they don't die," said Mauricio Farah of the HRC.

But a spokesman for the US homeland security department said maps would not improve safety for those trying to cross the border.

"It is not helpful for anyone, no matter how well intended they might be, to produce road maps that lead aliens into the desolate and dangerous areas along the border, and potentially invite criminal activity, human exploitation and personal risk," said Russ Knocke.

Each year thousands of Mexicans breach the frontier and attempt to cross the parched Sonoran Desert.

Some 500 died last year while making the journey, the HRC said.

Last year the Mexican government issued comic-book style pamphlets warning of the dangers of illegal migration, while also giving advice on how to stay safe.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Would it not make more sense to tell them not to try? Somehow, the logic escapes me.

3. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Actually, I like the map idea, pass em out. Then put agents around the watering holes. It's a hunting technique that I use often!

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

BINGO!

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

:mad:

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The latest work I've seen on that is that the mexican gov't has switched ends on the scheme. Evidently for fear that the maps will fall into US gov't (or other) hands and some interdiction (perhaps violent) would take place. Um, no kidding --. :D

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I gotta map for em', lets see its right HERE......... [finger]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7