MH 4-day food bucket...not a bad deal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bandit99, Jan 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Costco has a "Mountain House 4-Day Emergency Meal Supply for 1 Person" for $59 which isn't too bad a deal when you look what it contains compared to cost of case of pouches. What got my attention is that with this Bucket they put in some of their better tasting products (notice Bandit rating). I realize most purchase in bulk/case as do I but this is sort of handy... I prefer Mountain House for taste but it does normally cost a bit more... Anyway, I thought might be worth posting in case someone looking for a bit extra or a bucket to throw in a corner...

2 ea. Breakfast Skillet (Bandit rating = 5-star)
    2 ea. Scramble Eggs and Bacon (Bandit rating = 4-star)
    2 ea. Lasagna (Bandit rating = 5-star)
    2 ea. Chicken Teriyaki (Bandit rating = 5-star)
    2 ea. Chili Mac with Beef (Bandit rating = 5-star)
    2 ea. Rice and Chicken (Bandit rating = haven't tried it)
    12 ea. Total meals = $59

To compare prices using Amazon (which is about the cheapest):
    Case of ( 6 pouches) Mountain House Lasagna with Meat Sauce: $54
    Case of ( 6 pouches) Mountain House Chicken Teriyaki with Rice : $42
    Case of ( 6 pouches) Mountain House Chili Mac with Beef: $48

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I saw those back at Christmas, we picked up 2 each for every rig we currently use, now I need to go back and get 4 more! LOL
    Also, now that I'm going to be in the AO of Mountain House, I'm going to swing by and see if I can swing a deal directly from the manufacture! We did that with Old Trapper, saved about 20% over retail!!! We went way overboard on that! LOL
    Now I need to figure out Dollar Tree for the TETRA PAK milk! I tried a case, and it's good quality, and seems to last longer then recommended!

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Ura-Ki "Now I need to figure out Dollar Tree for the TETRA PAK milk! I tried a case, and it's good quality, and seems to last longer then recommended!"
    I think you are talking about the UHT *ultra-high temperature) milk and, yes, we use that also. I got to thank @DKR for that because I looked all over for it, couldn't find it. We have been using it ever since he pointed us in the right direction. I prefer the UHT milk over the normal stuff mainly because it is what I (and certainly the wife) drank overseas for so many years. It is a bit more expensive but its storage life (1 year) and liter containers are perfect, especially given there is only the two (2) of us. We keep about 4 cases on hand and rotate/use 1 case every 3 months

EDIT: I wish I would have seen these sooner at Cosco but they had them stuck in the back. I just ordered another round of Mountain House (5 cases) and if I would have gone with these buckets I think I would have got a much better deal...I'm considering sending them back now as just received them yesterday.

Gossner Foods Premium 2% Milk, 1 Quart
    Bulk Gossner Foods Premium 2% Milk, 1 Quart at DollarTree.com

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Motomom34, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

YUP, that's the Milk ( UHT) we found, we do the whole milk, seems better, and Tastes better too! Lots of folks don't like the taste, but I find it quite good, like really fresh off the farm milk! We had a lot of this while stationed over seas, and especially the sand box where it was hard to keep stuff refrigerated!
    Mountain House is kind of funny with the bulk orders, some times it's a good deal, some times not! WE are also going to swing into Welches for preserves and Gummies, they seem to keep extremely well, and are a good snack to keep around! I usually have a couple bags tucked in my Possables bag along with my Jerky and pepperoni!

5. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Just remember if you open the bucket with the pouches the shelf life of a solo pouch is generally just 5-7 years. Also higher temperatures (like in a vehicle) can push that shelf life number down even more. When kept sealed in a good bucket with O2 adsorption the shelf life of pouches can be pushed up into the 20 year range. Still generally not quite as good as steel #10 cans.

AT

HK_User and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Stocked up on MH,they taste better and have a great selection. Need to find the large can's.

HK_User likes this.
  7. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Gafarmboy likes this.
  8. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. RJFab
  9. duane
  10. TnAndy
  11. john316
  12. DKR
  13. DKR
  14. apache235
  15. Ganado
  16. alaskachick
  17. Motomom34
  18. Bandit99
  19. Asia-Off-Grid