MICARTA

Discussion in 'Blades' started by mage2, Jan 26, 2008.

1. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

I think ill just stick with what i know for now.
    Thanks to everyone for all the help.

2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I've seen places that sell knife kits also sell sheaths to fit those knives, might want to check into that. Texas Knifemakers Supply has tons of sheaths and tell you which sheath goes with which knife kit.

3. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

I use copper pipe wrapped in sandpaper - 1/2", 3/4" and 1" - cheap and easy

I just bought an oscillating spindle sander for those areas - works GREAT

4. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

There are lots of good tutorials out there... do a google and I'm sure you'll find some... let me know if you need help...

Kydex is easy stuff to work with....

I know the guys at Semper Paratus and Okuden... Dan and Brian are good people... prices are $40+... but their work is top notch...

5. Bear

I'd be glad to help with a kydex sheath if you need... just gotta let me know what you want... not the excellent work from guys like Dan and Brian who do it for a living.... but it doesn't suck either....[beer]

6. Bear

You know alot of guys started out with equipment as simple as Sears belt grinders... I've still got my 4x36 and I still use it... you just use alot more belts....

Go with what you can comfortably afford and spend the extra on supplies, videos and books... enjoy it...

I've got a KMG, Bader, Kalamazoo 1x42Paragon, 3 charcoal forges and 4 propane forges, a BMW Variable disc, Vertical bandsaw, metal bandsaw, Tippman, mig, stick... lots of tools, supplies and literally tons of wrought and steel... etc... and I still find use for my Sears...

Guess what I'm trying to say... the most important thing isn't how much you spend on tools or if you have the best... its that you are making knives and enjoy it... you don't necessarily have to wait till you can afford "knifemaker" grade tools... the real fun is in making them with what you have....

I was on another forum and a Dad asked about heat treating ... because he wanted to make a knife for his son... a well known knifemaker chimed in and said he would need about $1400 in "knifemaker" grade equipment to do it properly.... I was livid... but I kept my cool... passing on the skills of knifemaking isn't about discouraging folks with entry costs... its about encouraging them with the "Wonder of Knifemaking"... pick up Wayne Goddard's "$50 Knife Shop"... its worth the money and its a good reference and inspiration... here's a Legend Status Knifemaker that didn't let cost of tools slow him down when he was getting started or even now....

Sorry... kinda of a long post....

JMHO about as subject I'm pretty passionate about...[beer].

7. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

I have the $50 knife shop. it was the first book on knife making I got. He does some amazing things with limited supplies.
    I ended up using a hardwood dowl. It worked fine. I totaly agree that the tools do not make the knife, the person does. The right tools just make it easier/faster.
    I have the sears sander. It works pretty well, but I find myself hitting its limitations.
    And yes grinding steel or anything hard burns through belts like crazy.
    I think that im doing pretty well learning this with what I have.
    I think a better grinder would make things a little quicker and easier. (im lazy)

Whats another good book on knifemaking?

8. Bear

The Wonder of Knifemaking by Goddard is another good reference
    The Complete Bladesmith by Jim Hrisoulas
    The Master Bladesmith by Jim Hrisoulas
    The Pattern Welded Blade by Jim Hrisoulas
    All 3 are great books with good references to steel, heat treat and forging... I go back to all of these to re-read and reference questions I have.... worth the money...
    Knowledge is the best tool you can have....[beer]

9. Valkman

Mage send me your address - I have a extra knifemaking book and maybe I can dig up some more. [coffee2]

10. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

11. kevinh

kevinh Monkey+

WD40

I've only been at this for a couple of months now, so I found the WD40 comment and had to try it out. Nice! Really showed up the spots I missed but also gave me an alternative to cleaning the handle material and bringing the color out.
    I've been making kits and recently started making my own handles. Each one teaches me something else.
    Glad I found you folks. It looks like there is a lot of accumulated knowledge here.
    The pic is of my third fixed blade with Red micarta handle. The red's good (I guess) as it shows EVERY flaw. Still, I enjoy doing this and that's what counts right?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Valkman

That's a pretty sweet knife for #3, and I like the red handles a lot!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7