Mid-long range wireless mesh data comms.

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by jdcole, Jan 16, 2013.

1. I'm fixin' to get papered up this summer. My main HQ is isolated out in the country, but I also have a room at my li'l brother's condo in the city. I'd be interested to see what nodes show up in the city, if any at all.

I did my best to search for the answer, but I'm curious what kind of range these boxes are good for (both HAM and non-HAM mesh).

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Now that I can help you with..... Distance between Condo, and HQ? Elevation of Condo, and HQ? Terrain in between condo and HQ? If you are lucky, you just might make that work, IF they aren't to far apart, and the terrain is in your favor.... My old Telco System used to run on a 15 mile 2.4Ghz Part 15 Spread Spectrum Link that brought in two, T1, Digital Carriers. We had to put 10db attenuators in the FeedLines, on each end, just to get the RSLs down, so as to not saturate the Receiver front ends, because we were using 6ft Dish's on each end.

3. +grin+. Dishes might be necessary, because I've a long gap to span. Condo is roughly 2200 f ASL. It's ~150 miles @ ~80* azimuth to HQ sitting @. ~1950 f ASL.

My research so far suggests that the elevation is a more-or-less smooth drop with cleared farmland and young forests between. The straight line threads the needle between two aerodromes. The city with one of those aerodromes has a very large pair of towers, so I don't know if that'll be a mitigating factor.

Sometimes on a hot and clear summer day I can get FM music radio from the city as far as mid way, or slightly past with a vehicle's factory stereo.

Oh! I also have other family in a nearby town (20 miles, straight shot), and a pal out in the country, about 15 miles (distances are from HQ). Would it be permissible to run several nodes under one license, despite not being physically present at each while they are running? Please forgive my rudimentary line of questioning. I suppose you could say that my enthusiasm exceeds my level of competence.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Checking for line of sight obstructions is pretty easy using Google Earth. Open the software, select the ruler from the tools, then pin the ends at the points of interest. Zoom in and trace the path with the cursor and watch the elevations of each point on the path given at the bottom of the screen as well as for buildings and so forth. I think the towers won't be a problem, radio frequencies aren't as fussy about obstacles as, say, light waves.

kellory likes this.
  5. BTPost

Yes, You can run multiple Nodes on one License, with the proviso that you maintain "Control" of all the hardware. 150 Miles is about 10 times the length of what one could expect for such a single Hop. 20 Miles could be do-able, with good terrain in between. Wet Trees are NOT going to help your design. Have a chat with @TnAndy if you get a chance. He runs a Remote IP System into his place, and may have some insights for you.....

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bear in mind that the "control operator" has to be licensed for all bands to be used. I don't know what frequencies this system will use, but if longer than 15 meters, a general ticket will be required. Until told otherwise, I assume this is all line of sight VHF.

7. BTPost

Mesh Systems usually are done in the 2.4Ghz ISM Band, which is an UnLicensed Part15 type Operation. This is where WiFi, (802.11b, g, & n) BlueTooth, and other Part15 Services operate. The Hams also have a Secondary Allocation in part of this Band. Secondary means that they may Interfere with Part 15 Operations, and are protected from any interference, from such Part 15 Devices, should they cause interference with Licensed Ham Operations. The Primary User of this Band is Governmental Operations, of which there are very Limited Users.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7