Might Have Some Bearing on Recent Firefox Related Problems

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Seacowboys, Dec 5, 2011.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

You may want to give this a shot:

Introducing Descent|OS: Ubuntu With GNOME 2 - Softpedia

2. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

So, I download this this, unzip, and issue './iron' and chrome starts. I find no indication anywhere that this browser is different than the chromium I was using. I even get the same version info. So what am I doing wrong?

Code:
    Chromium	17.0.963.56 (Developer Build 121963) Built on Ubuntu 12.04, running on Ubuntu 11.10
    OS	Linux
    WebKit	535.11 (trunk@101876)
    JavaScript	V8 3.7.12.22
    Flash	11.1 r102
    User Agent	Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/535.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu/12.04 Chromium/17.0.963.56 Chrome/17.0.963.56 Safari/535.11
    Command Line	 /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
    Executable Path	/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Did the same thing for me if I had Chromium still open. Close them both and try to start Iron again

4. You said that chrome starts; for me, the process name itself is 'iron'.
    If you're using ubuntu, I recommend you download the '.deb' file, and install using that. It should take care of everything, including adding the app to the list of programs.

5. melbo

The .deb also creates triggers that add Iron to the menu. I can confirm that while running iron, the 'about' menu does indeed list Iron and the version instead of Chromium. On XP at work so can't screenshot it.

6. melbo

"About Iron"
    Screenshot-4.

7. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Everything works now. I just had to shut Chromium down first.

Thanks fellers.

8. Lucky Johnson

Lucky Johnson Monkey

I stopped using IE a while ago because it now lags and has become very user unfriendly with all it's "hard to figure out" functions and commands. I loved Chrome until I found out that Google was changing their privacy policy and what not. So I went back to Firefox, which seems to have made a lot of improvements since I last used it. So, if Firefox will be obsolete soon, what other decent browsers are available? I tried using the Iron one you guys mentioned, but the website posted just kept redirecting me to some antivirus software that I am sure I don't want. Any suggestions?

9. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I've gotten a few ads on there too. I'm not sure if I scrolled over something or what. Not liking that one bit. Iron is set to block pop-ups.

10. melbo

Iron has some annoying popups on their site and I assume they are monetizing the free software with these aggressive ads.

11. Technopenguin

Technopenguin Monkey+

You can install ad-block plus from the extensions page on google. First thing I did was to make sure an extension like that existed, otherwise I was going to ditch iron as a consideration. There's also something that's supposed to be similar to noscript (see at addons.mozilla.org), called "notscripts".

12. scpn

scpn Monkey+++

The forum section list pages look really bad in Opera 12 when text is enlarged, which I have to do to see anything. The actual posts look better. Firefox is better on formatting, but I've done something to FF so that images don't load so it makes using some things hard. All on WinXp. Haven't used IE since Cotton was a monkey. Anything Google is demon spawn to me.

13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Not really.. A youngster in Australia caught Google using permanent cookies a few years ago. Google threatened him with legal action and Australia replied y'all come and warned Google legal action awaited them...

"Only Google uses non-expiring cookies. This is bad and has been a longstanding complaint against the company by many over the years. For certain Google services (like Gmail), the login session will expire, but for regular Google searches, the cookie is forever there unless you manually delete it yourself via clean-up as described above.

The reason people complain about Google’s non-expiring cookies is because it’s unethical. Google completely throws that out the window and does it anyway, and that’s why it makes many people so upset.

All other search engines do not have forever-there cookie retention policies. Only Google does."

http://www.pcmech.com/premium/2010/01/why-its-important-to-clear-out-cookiescachehistory/

Here are some links on the subject.
    http://www.imilly.com/google-cookie.htm
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/02/google-safari-browser-cookie/
    http://www.milincorporated.com/a_cookies.html

FYI:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.5/+bug/455068

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7