Mike Rowe for President

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Cruisin Sloth, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Mike Rowe for president. Seriously.

Well, maybe not completely seriously. To run for president you need to have detailed policy positions on a wide range of issues, a history in office, and a giant campaign organization. And while he’s known for his willingness to try out dirty jobs, perhaps this is asking a bit much.

But Mike Rowe has something that we seriously need in a presidential candidate: the ability, and the guts, to lay out some hard truths in plain English about work and self-reliance and what people really need to get ahead.

Check out his latest statement on his Facebook page in response to a question about increasing the minimum wage.

Back in 1979, I was working as an usher for United Artists at a multiplex in Baltimore. The minimum wage was $2.90, and I earned every penny.

When I wasn’t tearing tickets in half and stopping kids from theater hopping, I was cleaning out the bathrooms, emptying the trash, and scraping dubious substances off the theater floor with a putty knife…. But I was also learning the importance of “soft skills.” I learned to show up on time and tuck my shirt in. I embraced the many virtues of proper hygiene. Most of all, I learned how to take —- from the public, and suck up to my boss.

After three months, I got a raise, and wound up behind the concession stand. Once it was determined I wasn’t a thief, I was promoted to cashier. Three months later, I got another raise. Eventually, they taught me how to operate a projector, which was the job I wanted in the first place….

My job as an usher was the first rung on a long ladder of work that led me to where I am today. But what if that rung wasn’t there? If the minimum wage in 1979 had been suddenly raised from $2.90 to $10 an hour, thousands of people would have applied for the same job. What chance would I have had, being seventeen years old with pimples and a big Adam’s apple?

If you’ve watched Mike Rowe’s shows, you know that for as much as he has become a blue-collar hero, he is also a very intelligent man. And here’s what raises his response from the level of homespun wisdom to something more poetic and even philosophical.

Mike Rowe for President

We do need some real blue collars in the political zoo ..
    Has been lawyers are still snakes with a different skin

Dont, AD1, Mountainman and 6 others like this.
  2. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Id vote for him !

Dont likes this.
  3. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Vote for Mike Rowe? Well anyone but Billary!

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

As much as I like him, he's not a good fit for President. I sure as heck, though, hope the next President spends a great deal of time bouncing things off of him in HIS office.

5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Mike is quite the card....

Mike Rowe is a TV host, writer, narrator, producer, actor and spokesman. His performing career began in 1984, when he faked his way into the Baltimore Opera to get his union card and meet girls, both of which he accomplished during a performance of Rigoletto. His transition to television occurred in 1990 when — to settle a bet — he auditioned for the QVC Shopping Channel and was promptly hired after talking about a pencil for nearly eight minutes. There, he worked the graveyard shift for three years, until he was ultimately fired for making fun of products and belittling viewers.

Thanks to QVC, Mike became practiced at the art of talking for long periods without saying anything of substance, a skill that would serve him well as a TV host. Throughout the ’90s, Mike had hundreds of jobs and relished his role as a chronic freelancer with lots of time to loaf around. Then, through a horrible miscalculation, he pitched a three-hour special to the Discovery Channel that ended up resulting in the show “Dirty Jobs.” Viewers liked it and Discovery responded by ordering 39 episodes — a shocking commitment that Mike was contractually obligated to honor. For the first time in his career, Mike went to work with a vengeance.

Think about it
    "art of talking for long periods without saying anything of substance"
    he could have been a politician.....

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Mi new thread push was on a wimp & laff .

Mike is a card , He would NOT be allowed to drive a 200hp tractor , lawn tractor , maybe ..

7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Called sophistry - Bill Clinton was a pro

8. Cruisin Sloth

They all are !!!
    LIP SERVICE , & it pays with full bennies

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7