Military style Police?what do you think?

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Big Ron, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

There's plenty of other big thumpers out there. My friend for years really wanted a .460 Weatherby. But he was scared of his shotgun. I like 45/70,s boom.

SB21, Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Blue lives matter that is the new slogan.
    [rnt]
    I'm kind of over all the name calling. I had to listen to a woman the other day go off on the BLM and how critical it is. I just looked at her when she wound down and said. When are we going to call poverty problems, poverty problems instead of making it about racism?

SB21, 3M-TA3, Cruisin Sloth and 3 others like this.
  3. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Poverty matters! I still find it funny how saying All lives matter is bad. Divide and conquer.

SB21, Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  4. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think the big problem is in policy, tactics and politics rather than equipment. Someone mentioned grenade launchers being scary or bad for cops to have but those launchers are also used for tear gas, flash bands and beanbag rounds. I for one am pretty ok with them being able to launch tear gas at rioters, flash bang into hostage situation to allow entry or beam bag at the crazy so can disable rather than have to kill. Likewise the 50 BMG, for that instance when someone upstairs a bull sized to level the town or some such.
    It used tp be considered excessive and militant for LE to carry anything other than a side arm mostly revolvers only then had the original clock tower shooting where none had a rifle and had to get them from civilians and the incident when the bank robbers got bomb suits and carbines and all the cops had was side arms to bounce off them and they figured out they needed carbines.
    Point being that just as in civilian hands the guns and equipment dosen't kill and isn't the problem but rather those who misuse it, so also with law enforcement. The local sheriff's dept when was at my farm having APCs and plenty of fire power was a good thing as they were on our side and good folks so knew they had gear to help out if things got deep, living back in middle of large city where it's us and them to most LE (with plenty of reason given by how citizens react when do their job even in right way) the mentality of LE is VERY different and them having a spare mag for side arm becomes excessive.
    Point being if the policies and culture of the departments is right then them having great for any possible zombie apocalypse is a good thing and if the culture is bad then sling shots or sticks is to much to give them.

5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[ditto] [ditto] (y) (y)

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am with Monkeyman on this issue, with one Giant Exception.... There is NO SITUATION THAT CAN POSSIBLY BE CONSTRUDED, that requires local, or State Civilian Law Enforcement to have, be issued, or use Select Fire, or Automatic Fire, Weapons, PERIOD..... Those folks in Hurricane Zones, were awful happy to see the X.Mil APCs and Trucks coming to evac them from flooding and high water... If the Municipality can afford the Tires, and upkeep, they are a good use of X.Mil Vehicles... If the situation is so dire as to require Full Auto, or Select Fire Weapons, then the State Governor needs to get kicked in the A$$, and declair Martial Law, and call out the National Guard, and or State Militia... He needs to DO HIS JOB....

SB21, Mountainman, 3M-TA3 and 3 others like this.
  7. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

we agree with @monkeyman too plus mostly agree with @BTPost

with one exception, there are situations that require an immediate response, minutes and seconds count

these situations are normally rare but they can and do happen or will very likely happen in the near future

situations that were considered way way out there plus pure science fiction are coming true now and it will only escalate and accelerate .. ..

it aint possible to have a QRF in every major city let alone every street corner or every troublespot .. .. havin the gud stuff in storage fer immediate and responsible use is a gud thing .. .. now if they go way too far that aint a gud thing .. ..

[biggrouphug] [biggrouphug] @ all yall

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I've let this train run on the track between my ears and came up with this. I'm not wild about militarizing cops, but I can see the need. But I have to ask myself where are the regular citizens like those who took on the brits in the 1700s? Can they not muster and take a batch of thugs off the streets permanently? (Of course not, they balk at doing what the Second allows them to do.)

A QRF of citizens in every neighborhood? Would be nice, eh? Impossible you say? I say the need will make it happen, but there will be some awakening needed first, and I don't mean "woke" as the snowflakes mean it.

BTW, welcome home Monkeyman.

SB21, 3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  9. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Oh, I can really see the cops going along with a QRF. Even now, most cops will admit they do not trust any "civilians".

3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. ghrit

Defund the cops, what programs would go first? Swat? Fuel for the armored cars?

I like the idea of neighborhood QRF as an extension of neighborhood watches in lieu of cops that are under funded. Practical? Not yet, the need is not established, nor would most areas accept the idea. Yet.

11. BTPost

The Cops already use a QRF model in their operations... Just look at how many Police Vehicles show up at any significant LE Event... and stick around for hours after it is concluded... Usually there are a dozen or so just standing around looking at stuff long after the event is over... The issue has always been, “When seconds matter, the QRF is always Minutes to late...”
    One of these days, the Bad Guys are going to figure out that if they can get all the Cops to gravitate to one big event, the rest of the town is left wide open for exploitation...

SB21, Capt. Tyree, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  12. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Someone volunteered to buy the donuts?
    Yes, that is unfair, but still --
    I suspect, but cannot know, that all those vehicles and "person"power hanging around is detectives, not part of the QRF or SWAT or SOG subdivisions of the local cop shop. Wasting time and resources, sez me and maybe only me, that could be put into training the neighbors.

And yes, the feint to the bank when the real target is the post office is known and has surely been tried. At least it has been fictionally, so the idea came from somewhere.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I believe that one must prove them self to earn the responsibility of the equipment they use for the public's behalf.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Back in the 80's two guys set a lumber mill on fire and 30 minutes later robbed the Food Lion grocery store across town. It would have worked great except 3 stock boys went out the back door with mop handles and beat the sh*t out of the crooks when they came out the front door and held them for the cops. Happened in Rockwell NC and my best friend was one of the stock boys.

SB21, BTPost and sec_monkey like this.
  15. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

History of S.W.A.T.
    The special weapons and tactics concept originated in the late 1960s as a result of several sniping incidents against civilians and police officers around the country. Many of these incidents occurred in Los Angeles during and after the Watts Riot. Upon critical examination of how each incident was managed by police, the leadership of the LAPD realized that an effective response to these dangerous situations was virtually non-existent. Officer John Nelson presented the special weapons and tactics concept to a young inspector by the name of Darryl F. Gates. Inspector Gates concurred and approved the concept of a small group of highly disciplined officers utilizing special weapons and tactics to cope with these unusual and difficult attacks.

The first Special Weapons And Tactics (SWAT) Unit consisted of 15 four-man teams. Members of each team, who volunteered from the ranks of patrol and other police assignments, had specialized experience and prior military service. Each unit was activated for monthly training or when the need for special weapons personnel actually arose. These units, known as "station defense teams," provided security for police facilities during civil unrest.

In 1971, the SWAT personnel were assigned on a full-time basis to Metropolitan Division to respond to continuing action by subversive groups, the rising crime rate and the continuing difficulty of mustering a team response in a timely manner. Metropolitan Division, which had a long-established reputation as the tactical unit of the Department, was organized into "A", "B" and "C" Platoons. The Special Weapons And Tactics Unit was given the designation of "D" Platoon, and at the same time formally adopted the acronym SWAT.

History may not repeat, but the echos are pretty loud right now...

SB21, sec_monkey and 3M-TA3 like this.
  16. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

Neighborhood QRFs are a great idea as long as the city/town LEOs don't arrest them for "taking the law into their own hands" while letting the bad guys continue to get away with rioting, burning, looting, and any other "...ing word" that's becomes a target of opportunity.

SB21 likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The last shooting in PA shows there's no reasoning with the burn loot murder mob.
    The dude ran out of the house, clearly had a knife in his hand and chased the cop and got his ass shot dead.

SB21 likes this.
  18. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

the coppers arrested about a dozen from that first nite >> PA judge screwed them royally - $1M bail set - not getting out anytime soon - the 2nd nite was beyond peaceful ....

Mountainman and ghrit like this.
  19. ghrit

The first judge screwed up releasing them. The second did it right. Our local magistrate would have released them, too, about a day after advertising for a welcoming committee at the gate. A persuasive welcoming committee with suitable devices of persuasion along for rides on hips and straps.

Mountainman and BTPost like this.
  20. BTPost

Bill the first Judge for the Damages, from the Second Fire, and Impeach him if he doesn’t Pay Up...

Mountainman likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7