Millennials ‘schooled’ on adulthood

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OldDude49, Mar 11, 2017.

1. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

The community college is about an hour out. All 3 of its campuses are an hour out. The close one specifically caters to nursing students only.
    I have never seen a Mormon church around here but I can check.

Sgt Nambu and Seepalaces like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Note that "you" as used in this post is generic, not cschattner. Consider, I'm an Olde Pharte, and have to ask: How much is that advanced opportunity for remediation or higher ed worth? "You" do NOT want to look to me for remedial funding, "you" had a chance and flubbed it. For the higher ed part, "you" simply have to work out how "you" are going to get it done, then do it.

(Side light, I took and paid for remedial differential calculus (math) while on active duty, and the ride was longer than an hour. I needed it for my own satisfaction, not for the NEC.)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Seepalaces likes this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Less a case of liberal pedagogy, than neo con economic rationalism...why pay teachers for living skills subjects (which are not part of the standardized testing regime when the money could be spent on teachers competing with each other to be on the top of the pile of standardized testing results, thus proving the students are the best in your district, county, state, nation in competing in standardized test testing.

We can blame a conservative POTUS for that one, with his "No child's behind left" education funding reforms. Unfortunately, the "American disease" (standardized testing) has reached Australian shores and has infected the various state education bureaucracies which have implemented similar testing regimes. The outcome of course is that schools obsess about preparing for students for the narrow requirements of the standardized tests, rather than a broad education that prepare them for life, employment and post secondary education.

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I think you've made the fatal mistake of taking what I said with literal seriousness....The smilies should have been enough of a clue that I'm taking the p!$$. For my incontinence diaper exchanging, I'll be engaging the services of an Israelite vide, Exodus 21:1-4, as my contribution to rescuing destitute Israelites from street vagrancy. I'll even provide the lucky fellow with a wife. :LOL:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Who is this "We" OutLander.....

Seepalaces likes this.
  6. cschattner

cschattner Monkey

The hour drive would not be a problem if the car I am using was actually mine. It's not so I am limited until I can get my actual vehicle.
    The cooking/Sewing class in high school was taught by a horrible teacher who if you did not believe anything and everything she said (not pertaining to the subject) she would make your life a living he'll and fail you.
    I simply chose to not kill myself trying to please a psycho.
    She was also not that great at sewing or cooking. Couldn't even make pumpkin pie.

chelloveck likes this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

When I attended Public School, Life skills were only taught to the female populates whilst the males went to auto shop, or welding shop, or wood shop. I was not given ANY choice in the matter, other then which of them I wanted to take first and which I wanted to focus on. I was never offered basic typing class, never offered a Home Ec. class, never a "Practical Math" class. or any of those "Life Classes" I learned some of these skills from my folks ( my Dad when he was home on leave) or I learned them in the Air Force ether as essential requirements for my duty or by example from my buddies who knew how, or worse, those that made mistakes. I found the rigging shops on base were a great place to learn sewing, and the mess cooks were a bunch of fun guys to hang around off duty, they knew how to cook. Schools are now "Monitored" Via computer by the teacher and school staff, students have little input outside that computer, and the teacher has little input with the students. We didn't have computers at my school ( at least for the students to use and learn on) and I never touched one until well into my Military training.

chelloveck and Seepalaces like this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I elected to take a Home Ec class in Jr High School, at the insistance of my Mother... She made sure ALL her children, could cook a meal, wash & Iron their cloths, and my Father, (The Banker) schooled us in Practicle Math, & Finances, until we left home. I also was taught to sew on a Button, darn a sock, and repair a Hole or. Rip in a shirt.... All these skillsets were passed on To my children, as the grew up, so they would be prepared, and practiced, should the need for such, arise... Now my father, being a City Boy, and never really schooled in rural life, didn't know about hunting and firearms. He did, however understand that those things were important skillsets. So his solution, was to farm out his sons to a trusted Family Friend, who exemplified these traits. Uncle Henry had a Quarter Section, of farmland, out near Yelm, Washington, up in the Bald Hills, and I was privileged to go with him, to the farm, one weekend a month from the Time I was 12 years old, as was my Brother.(The Engineer). He taught us both the Skillsets of Hunting, trapping, Shooting, cattle raising, and Haying, using 50 year old farming implements. I learned to drive, on a Farmall Tractor, and his Chevy Pickup Truck, as did my Brother. I pitched loose Cut Hay, onto a trailer, and then used an overhead Hay Fork, to unload it into the Barn, operated by the Tractor. I killer my deer every year, with my .22LR Rifle, at About 60 ft, just out in front of the cabin, in the Apple Orchard. I learned to hunt Ducks & Geese, on his two ponds... and when Uncle Henry died, he willed me, his FireArm Collection, and ReLoading Bench & Supplies... I still have his Coveted Browning AutoV Shotgun, which I share with my Brother. I Thank my Maker, that I had parents, smart enough to prepare me, for Adult Life, and for my father, making sure I got the skillsets that he could not provide, himself...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  9. grizzlyadams

grizzlyadams Monkey

I am a child of the 80s....not old....but not young either.I cook, can,butcher, sew , weld, fix my own vehicles, chop wood,build, etc My generation is where it started to go downhill. People stopped thinking for themselves, and expected to be handed everything and told what to do!?!?!?As soon as i got out of school, i got out on my own(kicked out by my father ,actually). For a while (about a yr and a half)I partied my ass off. Then i came to a realization that no one was going to hand me anything. From there, i took a "sabbatical"...I ventured off into the catskills and adirondacks, where i lived for about two yrs. (two shitty winters, 1994 and 95)I learned how to be an adult during that time, I then made my way to where i am now (western NYS)I worked my ass off until i got hurt in 2011.(literally 90+ hrs a week) I then raised my grand daughter for the first full yr of her life. Now, i find work where i can, i garden, i hunt, i forage, and above all, i try to teach my kids and grand kids that the world meets nobody halfway, and you only get to take what you give.Today's society has made(most of) these kids a bunch of selfish pansies! Side note: we pulled into my driveway last week and my 4yr old grand daughter said " Pappa, there is a cute bunny.....where is the rifle? I will get him for dinner!" Enough said!

Ura-Ki, chelloveck and BTPost like this.
  10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I would just be happy if graduates today had better than a 4th grade math level and 3rd grade reading and comprehension level. Every year I get interns from colleges that can't do basic math and have zero reading and comprehension ability. IE Figure out how many pounds of onion sets we need to order to plant 24 rows that are 4' wide and 200 feet long, with the sets spaced 1" apart, with the average pound of sets having 200 per pound. Considering these are people that are planning on starting their own farms being able to do these calculations is kind of important. Yet never once have they gotten it right. I get answers ranging from 20 pounds of set to 11,400 pounds. The right answer 12 sets per square foot * 800 square feet per row = 9,600 set / 200 = 48 * 24 = 1,152 pounds of sets. To get way complex there are 32 pounds of sets in a standard bulk bag so 1,152 / 32 = 36 bags of sets at $29 per bag = $1,044 for seed/set cost. Then to get totally complex...... that is 230,400 onion sets for green onions that will be bundled in 12 per bundle and sold for $1.50 per bundle that will make 19,200 bundles with 20% waste or 3,840 bundles that don't sell (Tax Write off) and 15,360 bundles that do sell at $1.50 for $23,040 in gross sales - the $1,044 in set cost and another $5,078 in unmentioned over head like labor, fuel, water etc. for $16,918 in net sales/profit.

Hell if these kids can't get past figuring out how many sets they need, how much success can they expect to have running a profitable farm. I expect the same runs true in every business that is trying to keep chugging along with these young geniuses. I did have a Asian exchange student about 3 years back that figured these things out without even breaking a mental sweat. The rest about the only thing I can see them being fit for is the mindless boring job of planting the 230,400 onion sets. Now go back in time and Great Grandpa managed to make it through the 6th grade and could do this math and read and follow instructions. But these kids today say they are the smartest and most intellectual generation in human history...... Far as I can tell very few of them could manage to grab both ass cheeks tied up in a gunny sack...... Mainly because they wouldn't be able to figure out how many cheeks or hands they have to work with.

11. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Hahahahaha! The local student university communist rag had an editorial by some snowflake about three days ago whining about her graduation and how her three or four degrees in writing in no way makes her able to find a job in the real world. Oh she has all these one act/two act/fifteen minute plays under her belt, all these editorial columns attacking Trump/America/working for a living and how unfair that is, but they have IN NO WAY prepared her for actually WORKING for a living or even FINDING a job in the real world!

NONE of her fellow traveler professors have actually had jobs in the real world, never mentioned she might need to learn how to actually live with out mommy and daddy picking up the bills, or how to flip burgers, push a broom or follow orders (other than blocking roads for $15/hr) that might be required of her to actually get a job! How UNFAIR the world is! Woe is me (her)!

When ever I feel down, I get that paper out and read that again and laugh and laugh! I can only hope she finds a kind pimp to help her learn her new job on the street, as her old pimps in the class room surely taught her how to suck in the real world!

3cyl, Ura-Ki and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  12. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

It is all fun and games until one of them writes a PC affidavit in text short-hand for criminal court.....

Ura-Ki and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  13. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

She is qualified to plant onion sets!

Yard Dart and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@cschattner
    Im a old man who learn't this stuff in the 60's in military training .
    I tried to use my wifes sewing machine , NADA going to happen , Bough one at garage sale $10.00 and 20.00 in needles & thread stuff , broke 20 plus needles & learn't .
    I can't sew a Bra , but can sew for the ranch .
    Sloth Just do it , Dollar store , many machines out there . Knitting is way harder 4 me .

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Perhaps you or Chello can start an Slang thread for cross referencing?
    I think it will be a Hoot.
    Back on thread, I saw a vid of Generation ''O'' trying to use a manual can opener in class.
    After about a minute or so the dude/dudette had the can opened to which he received applause from his/her fellow classmates.
    I'm like these twerps are buying firearms and a can opener is a major challenge!
    Bless their hearts!

Legion489, Yard Dart and Ura-Ki like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7