Minimum Caliber For Self Defense While Hiking

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by Gator 45/70, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I was recently asked, "What is the smallest caliber handgun you would trust to protect yourself ?"

I answered with the following:

"My personal favorite self-defense gun has always been a Beretta Model 950 Jetfire chambered in .22 short. Over all the years I've been hiking, I never leave without it in my pocket. Of course we all know that, in addition to always carrying a gun, people hiking in the wilderness should also use the "Buddy System".

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the Buddy System, it means you never hike alone. You bring a trusted friend, companion or family member. That way if something happens, there is someone who can go get help.

I remember one time hiking with my brother-in-law in northern Colorado. Out of nowhere came this huge brown bear, and she was obviously mad. We must have been near one of her cubs.

Anyway, if I had not had my little .22 Jetfire I'd surely not be here today. Just one shot to my brother-in-law's kneecap, and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace."

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7