1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Gear Review Minus 33 Wool Clothing

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Brokor, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

MINUS 33 Merino Wool Clothing

I have been using this brand of clothing for a while now, and I have to say, it is remarkably comfortable. I am a big fan of wool, and I like knowing I am wearing natural fibers which do not promote bacterial growth and keeps me warm and protected. Even when wool is wet it retains your body heat, making it a great survival clothing option. The Minus 33 line of clothing also comes in a lightweight Merino Wool to offer a year round option for most climates. Of course, if you live in the desert, during the heat of the day perhaps a synthetic/cotton blend would be more suitable.

DSC00021.JPG I typically wear a pair of boxer briefs and long sleeve lightweight merino wool option.

The investment is a bit more than your typical clothing, but keep in mind the benefits of wearing wool and the added factor of quality of fabric. This clothing should last a very long time if cared for properly. I have had no irritation from this line of clothing, and it is priced better than some higher end name brands.

Our Amazon Link To Minus 33 Products: Amazon.com: minus33 merino wool
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
    stg58, kellory and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

Machine wash?
  3. Brokor

Yes, but I only machine washed the underwear. I always hand wash my shirts. The info on the shirts say I can machine wash, though.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

Off topic: A male that hand washes.... wow! I am just stunned. I don't know how many times my husband has thrown the pile of hand washable in the machine & dryer. Just wow.
    Brokor likes this.
  5. Brokor

@Motomom34 just keep in mind, you do not need to wash wool garments as frequently as you would cotton, in case you didn't already know. I have worn wool shirts (and yes even underwear) more than a single day *gasp* with zero problems. It all comes down to bacteria, which is why you get the smell. Wool acts as a natural bacteria barrier, so you won't smell all funky. Still, if the wool gets dirty, you should clean it.

I have worn one of my wool shirts on testing for 3 months with no washing, but after the first week I did take it off at night and air out. It was pretty dirty when I washed it. To end this story, I will say it was only a test --but nothing funky happened. Obviously I don't think it's wise to wear clothing for 3 months without washing, but it can be done with wool.
    melbo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary