Misdirection

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Sojourner, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Sojourner

Sojourner Silverback

How would one go about making a "disappearing" driveway? If the house is 1/4 mile from the road, on a wooded plot and not really visible, would it be possible to disguise the driveway before a turn. It will be used daily.

2. barebones

barebones Monkey+++

Got some ideas, but I'll tell ya later....wouldn't want anyone to find ya, hehe.

No, really, guess you got everyone scratching their head about now. Someone will come up with a good idea, I'll betcha.

You could cause some diversions if the property is wooded in the front. It might take someone a while to find the house, but if they are determined to do so, they'll get to you eventually. That's when ya turn the dogs loose, while you load the shotguns and hand em out.
    bb

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You might be able to make itlook like it was just an entranceto some pasture or some such, as in make it so no one could tell there was ahouse there, but I would say if itstraveled regularly then its going to show trafic if its anything other than paved or maybe graveled. If its just dirt and has a cattle gate and takes a turn shortly past the gate with enouph brush/trees between the road and the house then it could just look like an acess to some bodys pasture or woods. If its anything natural though traffic is going to leave its mark plainly. The one thing that would show it least would be if it was an area where it could be just bedrock but the path through the trees and such would still be a giveaway that there was a road of some sort there and most roads lead to something.

Ganado likes this.
  4. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

Gravel and lots of shrubery. The shrubs & trees must be planted in a random pattern to look like natural growth. Ric

5. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

None of those tricks really work. There are a lot of people trying those things to hide their drives around my area and you can tell exactly what it is.
    Instead of trying to hide it, make it impassable. I used huge stones to line the drive entrance that can't be driven over with vehicles. When I can, I am going to put a gate up that can only swing outward to prevent being pushed in. I have a motion sensor light that activates when you drive up to the gate and rings a tone inside the house. That will deter more than hiding the road. Hiding a road will draw in the curious.

6. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I agree it's better to deter entrance than to try and hide it. Anybody seen "Second Hand Lions" with all the deterrent signs in the drive? A salesman corpse hanging by a noose at the entrance would get the picture across.

With that said.......

How 'bout - The driveway is very short and goes straight into a barn. Your remote garage door opener actually opens the back doors to the barn where your vehicle then emerges behind a wall of trees and shrubs and continues on to the house.... unseen :)

Even better yet.... Hang a sign at the entrance that says "Ask me about AMWAY". Nobody will ever go past that :)

I'm out of ideas.

Ganado likes this.
  7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

:D Jehova's Witness Retreat

8. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I thought that too....but then remembered how they can find ANYONE..and dismissed the idea..

Maybe we need to tell them Bin Laden wants to discuss joining...??? ;)

9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was in a liquor store one day and ran into the woman from the local Johovas Witness congregation who had been knocking on my door for the past few years. I made a point of saying hello and she hasn't stopped by since.

10. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have my own personal Witness...Myra. She came to my door almost 15 yrs ago.....I have moved here at least 4 or 5 times during that time , and also moved to Bainbridge, GA and came back..

I have an unpublished phone number....use only a PO Box on everything, including bills...Nothing on my checks indicating where I am...The first year I was back here , I only had a cell phone.....and she finds me EVERY time!

For 15 yrs that woman has been trying to convert me....No one will admit to telling her where I am...but she even found me and called me , in GEORGIA!

I have to say, I admire her the courage of her convictions....and I have had liquor, cigarettes and whatever else you can think of around her. Nothing drives this woman away.

Not even a handgun on the front seat of the car....she's a tenacious little cuss.....kind of cracks me up at times...I told her she needs to be given the 10 Most Wanted List....she'd find them in no time....:)

11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I was recently trying to purchase the house and property adjoining my back yard and discovered it was owned by HUD and subsequently they moved what appears to be 15-20 children with at least three moms and 8-9 Dads into the little three bedroom cottage. This event, combined with the persistant thump and angry tribal chanting of boom boxes harbingered the erection of the "Great Wall of Theodore" and signs warning of venemous reptiles. Appears to be working.;)

12. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

'Great Wall of Theodore'. :D I'll have to get my friend to take a picture of it for me. Don't know when I'll be back home though when I stop in I hope you are up to the T-shirt stage of your venture.

Thing out your way that is also something to watch for SC is when they start buying up houses to turn into a 'battered women's shelter' and then you get a lot of women in a small house with evil monkeys for children.

Can't say that I miss the plague that I last saw spreading across Theodore and the surrounding area. Thinking maybe just buy a home way north of there in a man-made swamp to avoid neighbors like that.

As far as the Jehovah's Witness. Well, I finally know how to avoid a confrontation with one.... Don't speak their language. :D Was on my way home from work yesterday and was waiting at the corner for the light to change and there was one standing there with the Awake pamphlets in his hand. He turned to me, smiled and started speaking Spanish. :D All I heard was blah blah blah. Yay for not knowing a different language. Haha.

13. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I've got a 1/4 mile drive into my place too and what I do is not gravel the last 100 yards ( the road curves after that and can't be seen from the road) and in this part of the country oil well sites are plentiful. So I put in a cattle gaurd and had a sign made that says ;

"(My last name) Oil Company, Well #2".

Anybody from around here thinks it's just an old oil lease and don't bother to come down the road.

But if they do, I have a driveway moniter 500 yds from the house that alerts me when someone is coming.

Also I don't have a mail box at the road. I keep a post office box in town and get all my mail there.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean thier not after me!!!
    [tf]

14. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Need one more sign: " Hydrogen Sulfide Well.
    Rescue Pac Required Beyond This Point."

15. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I never thought of that!!!
    That's good!

16. Sojourner

Sojourner Silverback

Thanks for the good ideas! I especially like the HS Well sign. A friend suggested a "gilley gate". That was interesting. Any more?

17. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I always wanted to have a "bat Cave" entrance.
    I just don't think you can hide the use. Best to deter or gate it

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7