MMMKAY wHO'S GOT A .17HMR????

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tango3, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

MMMKAY Who's gota .17 HMR????

I'm looking at presenting myself with a new rimfire fer xmas("wife got" (okay they're mine tooo!) new countertops installed yesterday) possibly a cz452 varmint in .22lr, but the .17 is interesting. I've never shot one. but I see there's alot of testimony to nickel and dime size grpoups at 50-75 and 100; THEN THERE'S HUNTING; HERE RABBITS:
    YouTube- .17HMR rabbit shooting

They flip over and die right on the spot.
    cruisingthe forums thisa.m. I read:
    a poorly placed shot with the more "explosive" hmr (vs .22lr) can can destroy alot of meat .
    they are signifgantly more expensiveto shoot ($12-$13.00/50?)
    the.17hmr isnot as ubiquitous(sp?)i.e. available frickin' every where like the .22LR.

Guess I 'd like to :
    Win a million bux or so;
    Comehome to a smiling friskie Christie Brinkley;..
    Win a lifetime supply of duff's;
    Have a .22lr that groups like a .17 !!!!
    A man can dream... can't he?

Aside from all that what are the "survival applications/implications of the smokin'.17HMR?

2. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I've considered getting one myself, but haven't made the move yet. Be sure to get a bolt gun as I just heard ALL the semi-autos got recalled in this cal. as not suitable.

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this for us.

jim

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Mine is the Marlin 17V, got it about the year or so they came out. Superbly accurate, and same basic rifle as my Model 25MN in .22WMR - same magazine, got the same scope on them too - reduces the 'learning curve'.
    Basically, if ya want to eat it, DON'T shoot it with the .17HMR! :rolleyes:
    'Varmint Al' had a video back then of the early testing of the .17HMR - he shot a rat off a fence post - "BANG!" and three chunks of rat go flying! Cool beans..... [winkthumb]
    Very explosive, those wee pills.

"the.17hmr isnot as ubiquitous(sp?)i.e. available frickin' every where like the .22LR."

NOT true in my AO! Wally's has had the .17HMR in one or more flavors all thru the ammo shortage, but I still have NOT seen a .22LR in nearly a year!
    Good thing I stocked away a few 550 packs!

The .17HMR is a specialized tool, not for everybody. It has a particular application - it will NOT replace either .22LR or .22WMR for general use.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That's very true, SW. China-Mart in my area has had empty shelves where the .22 LR used to be, under the counter where it is hard to see and no employees around to help...and .17HMR right there waiting. For a few weeks before turkey day, they had about 15 boxes of the 550 count .22LR in the display. The employee there told me that this was because he refused to sell anybody more than 2 boxes. I thanked him and bought 2 for myself. The locals will go in and buy as much as they can afford and then resell it for a profit due to the market, or they will just hoard it.

None on the shelves now, though. I also went to Dick's Sporting Goods on black Friday and they had a special on ammo (buy 1 get 2nd 1/2 off) for almost all ammo - the shelves were bare by 1400. Typical.

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

can't seem to get enough .22lr.I Grab a brick whenever I'm in wally world .... just before the gun deer opener they had.22 short and cband.17 onthe racks,plentyof hunting centerfire... but that was it for rimfire. Are we seeing a second wave of panic'd ammo buying?

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Well, I think that it won't ever change, Tango. The damage has been done and people will continue to stockpile and try to make a buck. The economy is not getting better, and despite what the news says, a lot of folks still can't seem to get back on track.

Ammo is a very hard to acquire commodity now, and even if you can get some delivered to your house, it will certainly cost you. I know that I have been waiting 4 months on 9mm luger from Sportsmansguide and I finally just canceled it because I found it locally (more expensive but I own it now).

SOME PEOPLE can find ammo easier than others. THOSE PEOPLE are fortunate.

7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Yep, this is why I reload EVERYTHING I shoot except the rimfire. If ya got the money and time, even that can, in desperate times, be done.

I just dropped $400 to MidwayUSA to stock up on some necessary components. Hope to get some .22LR next weekend at the gunshow.

8. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I've got a Savage .17HMR that came with a scope mounted - a dime covers the groups at 100 yards!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7