Mom makes teenage daughter stand on corner...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CRC, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I feel that reason why we have so many liberal parents now is because their parents didn't teach them right from wrong, morals, respect, getting good grades in school leading to greater achievements later in life, etc. Heck when I was a kid, a good ol' fashioned belt whippin' on my butt kept me in check and I respected my folks after the fact. Like was mentioned earlier, kids nowadays don't have respect for their parents unless the parent instilled in them that their word was law and that was that. I think the people that don't believe parents don't have the right to discipline their children, should be ostresized from society. It's their fault this country is in the mess it's in. If parents disciplined their children we'd have a lot less gangs and BS associated with gangs. It's a fact that most kids that join gangs do so because they're lacking the feelings of love and family from their own home environment, so they join gangs to fulfill those needs.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

They need a father, They need less Liberal College professors .

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I was once complained about for taking my then 9 yr old daughter out of a restaurant to slap her backside... Same nosy women walkwd up to her after I left and Asked her why she had such a mean boyfriend"? :eek:

4. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

I took my son's door down twice. The first time for a week, the second for a month. He never slammed it again, and my knothead daughter won't slam hers either.

5. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The wife and I already discussed this idea and have put it into the memory banks for future use!

6. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I raised my daughter alone from when she was 9..In the 8th grade they asked if they could ride to the movies with a kid and his older brother who had gotten his license..So far they had not let me down so I said yes..

When they did not come home from the movie on time? And I found them 2 hours later walking home, downtown..with the boys??? (By the way...the boys ran off when I pulled up...)
    I got all the girls , took them to my house to get their stuff...Went and woke the other parents up..and made the girls tell what they did....and they were grounded..no tv..no phone..no computer..(yes.no AIM)...They couldn't believe I was waking the other parents up at 1:30 in the morning..after I finished saying my piece....I told them.."If I'm awake worrying about y'all...so are they"....(This was a 3 day weekend and we had planned a trip to Disney to a huge water park down there that weekend ..yeah..THAT didn't happen either.. :rolleyes: )

Their graduating class had 4 Valedictorians...2 of those 3 girls were 2 of them..Amanda, one of the girls..still thanks me today..and she will be 21 next month..

That was the only time I had to punish my daughter..apparently it made an impression..
    She was President of the FCA...a cheerleader for all 4 yrs of High School...played softball all 4 yrs ..Natl Honor Society..and is a Jr in College on 100% Bright Futures Scholarship..

After that though..I did believe them and let them do things when asked...They asked me why I trusted them when the other parents didn't..I just told them.."I dont' think y'all are going to do anything to lose my trust again"...

and they didn't.

7. Quigley_Sharps

CRC you should be commended for raising your children up alone and having them turn out great.
    It is hard for any single parent to raise their children alone; they are all too often getting overruled by the children they raise, Sometimes even abused by the children.
    I love my children, but they know there is a limit to what is acceptable and what is not.
    And they wont push it.

8. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

CRC, congrats on raising your daughter with a decent value system. Yes I believe that one good punishment is enough. If it's done right, the lessson learned will never be forgotten.

My daughter is at that point right now, trying figure out what she can and can't do, and she's only 19months old!!!
    It's hard to "punish" her when she does wrong, but we know if no boundries are set now, then there will be no setting them later.

Again, CRC, great job in going the extra distance to help the young ladies learn a valuable lesson.

Ryan

9. rvulcan500

rvulcan500 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I love it. But if I did that here SRS would be on my a$$ so fast I woun't have time to fart.

10. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I would agree that for some, maybe even a lot of them that could be a significant part of it, but a lot of the time its also a survival thing. I've unfortunately spent enouph time in less than plesant neighborhoods (liveing there not just driveing through) to have learned that the gangs get a very substantial part of their members because the cops and courts wont do their jobs even more than due to parents. In a lot of areas if you are in a gang you are a target for rival gangs but have the rest of your gang to help back you, if you're not in a gang your a target from all the gangs or at the very least fair game for all of them and any lone thug and don't have anyone to watch your 6. Its not a good thing but there are areas in most metropolitan areas where a kid actually stands a better chance at not getting killed or seriously hurt by being in a gang and just staying 'on the fringes' as much as possible, just a survival thing of safety in numbers. Granted if in mass all the thugs had parents that would do right by them the whole situation wouldn't be there but in most of these same areas the primary means of income is welfare and with the system we have the ones who breed more kids get bigger checks so a lot of the people there will have several and could care less about them as long as they keep breathing so they can get a check for them, otherwise they could care less if the lived or died.
    Just thought would toss out what I had observed on that aspect of the subject.

11. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

rvulcan; I think that's what a lot of parents think. That if they discipline (not abuse) their kids, that they'll have an outside authority to answer to. I know I thought that. Rather than continue to believe that I wasn't in charge of my own children, I called the authorities (police/family services) and asked them just what my jurisdiction was with my kids. After all; if I was to be held accountable for their actions while under 18, I had better be able to have the authority to instill the rules/values while they were young. It turns out that parents have more power than we're led to believe! No matter what current television shows, local news or even schools say; your children are just that: your children. Here, as long as they are not suffering from physical, mental or emotional abuse, you can certainly discipline them in a manner that works best for them.

Don't get me wrong: I know that there are a great deal of children who are being abused by those who are supposed to protect and guide them. I do not agree with that in any way, shape or form. There's a definite difference between a spanking and a beating; a discussion and verbal abuse. I advocate for these kids to be able to get the help that they and their families need. However, I also believe that there are a greater number of kids who are making their own rules, because so many parents don't have (or aren't taking) the time to give their children a set of guidelines to follow.

12. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

You may only need to do it twice...

13. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Effective descipline only takes once or twice. Any more than that and it isn't decipline, just an exercise. My opinion, too many parents treat their children like citizens in a democracy. I'm afraid I was a dictator - a benovolent dictator at times, but a dictator none the less. I felt my job was leadership not friendship and it served my daughter and I quite well in the long run. She knew (and continues to know) that she could always count on me, for descipline, rules, limits, love, and support. I adored her from the moment she was put in my arms and that has never changed so how could I not do what I knew was the very best for her.

14. Quigley_Sharps

[bow]

15. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Just something I found...

My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE-
    "If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning!"

My mother taught me RELIGION -
    "You better pray that will come out of the carpet."

My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL:-
    "If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!"

My mother taught me LOGIC-
    "Because I said so, that's why."

My Mother taught me LOGIC...#2
    "If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you're not going to the store with me."

My mother taught me FORESIGHT -
    "Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."

My mother taught me IRONY -
    "Keep crying and I'll give you something to cry about."

My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS -
    "Shut your mouth and eat your supper!"

My mother taught me about CONTORTIONIST -
    "Will you "look" at the dirt on the back of your neck!"

My mother taught me about STAMINA -
    "You'll sit there 'till all that spinach is finished."

My mother taught me about WEATHER -
    "It looks as if a tornado swept through your room."

My mother taught me how to solve PHYSICS PROBLEMS -
    "If I yelled because I saw a meteor coming toward you; would you listen THEN?"

My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY -
    "If I've told you once, I've told you a million times - Don't exaggerate!!!"

My mother taught me THE CIRCLE OF LIFE -
    "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."

My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION -
    "Stop acting like your father!"

My mother taught me about ENVY -
    "There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do!"

My Mother taught me about ANTICIPATION...
    "Just wait until we get home."

My Mother taught me about RECEIVING....
    "You are going to get it when we get home!"

My Mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE...
    "If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to freeze that way."

My Mother taught me to THINK AHEAD...
    "If you don't pass your spelling test, you'll never get a good job."

My Mother taught me ESP...
    "Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you're cold?"

My Mother taught me HUMOR...
    "When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."

My Mother taught me how to BECOME AN ADULT...
    "If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."

My Mother taught me about GENETICS...
    "You're just like your father."

My Mother taught me about my ROOTS...
    "Do you think you were born in a barn?"

My Mother taught me about WISDOM OF AGE...
    "When you get to be my age, you will understand."

And my all time favorite... JUSTICE...
    "One day you'll have kids ... and I hope they turn out just like you!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7