Monkey Chopsticks?

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Dec 27, 2014.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

That sounds like what I had in mind as well. What are the true dimensions?;)

Bear likes this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Here you go, @kellory.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419917805.465127.

kellory likes this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

After a thorough washing to get the soot and any other @Bear DNA off, I tested it the most difficult way I could think of... Flakey steamed fish. Not just any fish, but the fish of kings. Moi.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419917953.808226.

They worked great. A slightly straighter taper would have worked better picking out the individual tiny bones. But all in all, a great success. And another satisfied customer!

Oh, my teeth and lips were unscathed. But I was very aware to be gentle around the porcelain rice bowl. The chopsticks are super hard and they have weight. No bowls were harmed either.

kellory and Bear like this.
  4. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

LOL... @Hanzo bring those puppies next time we meet and I'll give them the hammered "slim" treatment on tips so you can get those pesky bones ;) after I redress my hammer head... sheesh... titanium is tough on hammers....

Glad the lips and teeth survived... and no bowls were harmed... ;)

And I figured you'd like the creative sheath... it was a last minute spark of creativity... so was rushing to cobble it together... all in all... another nice Bear Fugly Tough tool IMHO ;)

Thanks for the cheese cake and pho today buddy!

Bear

kellory and Hanzo like this.
  5. Bear

LOL @kellory ... I sure am happy I only have a few pieces of titanium left... did some rough forging on 4 more pairs... and hope to get to the last 3 pairs...

@Hanzo got the "heirloom" treatment on his because... well... he fed me cheese cake! and you know how us Bears... love our sweets ;)
    Honestly though... that hammered look took a couple hours to complete and deformed my hammer :(

Also not going to even try to drill these... I know what it takes... and I don't have the small carbide drills or the mill to properly drill the tips... and I sure don't want to break a bit in the titanium... sorry about that... I know one guy on this island who has the bits, equipment and know how to drill these... and that is a 1 1/2 hour drive and will cost me lunch ;) so it's doable.... but it's gonna cost you ONE MEEEEEEELLLLLLIIIIIOOOOOONNNNNN DOOOOOOOLLLLLLLAAAAAAARRRRRRRSSSSSSSSS ;) Each...... LOL....

I'll let you know when I am done with them... I'm gonna also do some square-ish and different hammer marks on some... we'll see... creative special projects... in short runs like these and done...

Still need to get that "toss'n" blade heat treated and done too... fun fun fun....

Thanks again for the interest in this old fart's creations ;)

God Bless and Take Care,

Bear

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

No need for slim treatment. This way, my chopsticks match me. [emoji33] Save your hammer for more pleasant pursuits.

I really like the webbing sheathe. The cord was a great touch. It feels strong and tough. How is it with knots? To stiff for good knots?

Any time on grub. We still have to do our Christmas Omakase.

7. Bear

Happy to make them the way you want them @Hanzo ... better that way so you can pic those bones... I don't want Mrs. Wifey Hanzo knocking at my door saying you're in the hospital because you got a moi bone stuck in your throat! ;)

Cord is great for knots... yes a bit stiff... but knots don't come undone... handles water and uv extremely well... used in commercial fishing.... I'll give you some next time...

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I am really good with how the chopsticks are. Think I've only choked on a fish bone once in my life when I was a kid. I like fish and am careful eating them.

What is the cord called again? What have you used it for besides nets?

9. Bear

More pics of @Hanzo pair .... close up of the "PIA hammer ruining texture" on the sticks and tips... (do not ever ask me to hammer your tips again) .... as well as the "piko" I left on the butts ;) an @Hanzo exclusive.... As well as the last minute creative sheath from climbing tube... and the special dragon fly knot that Hanzo probably didn't even notice ;)

and Hanzo I can't remember what the line is called... I've used it for everything from lanyards, to handles etc... it actually gets more pliable with age... but keeps it's strength.... I pick it up at Nanko's

Attached Files:

ghrit, kellory and Hanzo like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Most awesome. Everything first rate down to the dragonfly knot.

kellory likes this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

By the way, @Bear, do I detect a dragonfly knot tutorial in our future? I don't know how to tie any pretty knots. That made for a fancy finish to your sheath.

@Bear was too kind to say anything when I retied it like my shoelace.

kellory likes this.
  12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Send me a sample piece of metal? I have drill press and bits. I'd like to try drilling it without risking the chopsticks themselves. An inch or two would do. ;)

Bear likes this.
  13. Bear

will do ;)

kellory likes this.
  14. Bear

Last of these I'll make... Square preforms with the edges forged down and out before I decide how I want to finish... I always start with these... longer ones are much more slender and the shorter ones are slightly more slender than @Hanzo 's heirloom.... figured that a bit more slender might be easier to use and still maintain it's strength... can cut to shorter lengths but forged out all the titanium I had left... I figure you make it shorter... but it's tough to make it longer once you make it short ;) so when these are gone I won't be tempted to forge titanium again... phew thanks goodness... this stuff is hard on the forging tools ;)

Attached Files:

Yard Dart, kellory and Hanzo like this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Bear, forget the hammer... It's jello time! Just imagine the music as you wear your baggy pants.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420081402.578007.

Bear likes this.
  16. Bear

YUM @Hanzo where the rest of the New Years Eve goodies ;)??????????

Hanzo likes this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Nothing else so far. That was just an afternoon treat.

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Gorgeous day today. Quite cool. It was in the mid-50's this morning and has stayed cool all day. Happy New Year, Monkeys!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420084545.463437.

Bear likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7