Monkey configuration AR15

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by phishi, Sep 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Gentlemen, the thread is yours. Good luck and god bless.

Phishi

2. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

This has been so much fun to watch that I can't pass up this chance to keep my mouth shut. :)

I would argue that just about ANY AR-15 platform that has 500 rounds through it and has proven reliable will work just fine. I would prefer a chrome lined chamber and bore but could live without it. I would prefer an adjustable stock but again could live without it. I'm pretty sure I would be happy to get a bang stick of any type if I was far from home and TSHTF.

All that being said a M4 style weapon with a red dot or low powered illuminated scope would be just dandy, especially if it works and you have ammo. They kind of suck when used as clubs.

Flame suit is on so please continue the fun. :)

Whynot

HK_User, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Shoot we can always use some more Smoke and Mirrors.

Belly up to the bar and join in.

4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

This has been an interesting thread to follow. I liked the concept of a common platform and was looking forward to the continued debate of the accessories and so on to meet that suggested Monkey platform. though I may come to a different conclusion or not, was beside the point... seeing others opinion, would be helpful and provide one a basis for evaluating all the available information on what works... and what does not. And at that point, the Monkey could form their own view and decision on the course to take in that platform.

Looks more like this thread has taken a turn to a "my bolt is bigger than your bolt" convo which does not serve anyone, except to look like you don't want to play well in the sand box with others.... oh well. Guess this thread is heading to the bar..... no punches were ever thrown in a bar, right... o_O
    YMMV
    YD

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

First of all, let me begin by saying that I think the purpose behind this thread is both noble and worthy. It appears that it has indeed taken the turn I was personally hoping it would avoid. I apologize if my post was part of it since I was simply trying to convey what I thought another was saying and how what a third was saying could be interpreted.

That having been said, I don't want to "go all corporate" and create a thread where we discuss what we are going to put into another thread (meeting about meetings drive me NUTS), but what would you say to a thread where we discussed the individual characteristics we would like to see in an AR platform rifle for general compatibility between monkeys?

Suggestions for the thread (and I'll start it, no issue there):
    • A set of requirements that all should have. This may sound ridiculous but it sets the stage for the next bullet points
    • Minimum, suggested and preferred "levels" of each component
    • Potential extras with the associated level of minimum, suggested and preferred
    • Make the thread moderated. If the post doesn't further the discussion, argumentative, causing drift or completely off topic, it gets deleted. This is not a reflection on the poster but it would keep the unit wagging to a minimum. I'll let the mods determine how it would be moderated (2/3 have to agree, something like that) but I really does need to be moderated. No, it's not sensorship, at that point it's direction.
    Things I think should be on the list:
    • Barrel - don't laugh. It's a requirement and there are different levels of materials and quality.
      • Chrome lined
      • Chrome/moly
      • Carbine
      • Full-length
      • Twist
        • 1/7
        • 1/8
        • 1/9
        • WHY? This is important and people need to both know why different twist rates exist and what they should be used for (and the fact that Mil-Spec is a compromise, albeit a good one)
      • Shot peened
      • M4 feed ramps
      • MPI
      • HPT
      • Fully parkerized (ie: under FSB)
    • Lower Receiver
      • Forged
      • Billet
      • Aluminum/type
      • Poly/Composite
      • LPC
    • Upper Receiver
      • "T" marked
      • 5.56/.223 vs .223 only vs Wylde
      • "F" marked front sight base
      • Flat top/Carry handle
    • Bolt Carrier Group
      • Finish
      • Chrome lines
      • Auto (M16)/Semi-Auto (AR-15)
    • Stock
      • Collapsible (and how many positions? I think I've seen 4, 5 and 6 position stocks but I'm not 100% positive)
      • Full A1/A2
    • Iron Sights - I personally don't consider them "backup" Iron Sights. Alternative? Maybe but I'm already getting into the guts of the next thread.
      • Flip up
      • Fixed
      • Integrated (carry handle)
    • Optics
      • Magnification
      • Reticle
      • Illumination
      • Powered
    • Sling
      • 1-point
      • 2-point
      • 3-point
    • Magazines
      • Poly
      • Steel
    • Other (but not necessarily extra)
      • Proper staking
        • Castle nut
        • Everything else
    • Extras - Some of these, we may very well decide, aren't extras but I wasn't exactly sure where to put them otherwise. This in NO WAY lessens their utility or your decision to include them.
      • Bipod/monopod
      • Supressor
      • Piston vs. Gas Impingement
      • Foregrip/heat shield
      • Vertical handle
      • Light
    This isn't exhaustive but I think it could be a good start. That being said, my reasoning for suggesting a new thread and using min, suggested, preferred levels would "ensure" (as much as we really can) is so that:
    • Any AR-15 platform that met the community agreed upon minimum standards would be something that ANYONE in the community would be able to afford
    • Any Monkey could pick up any "minimally" configured rifle and be
      • Comfortable with it's operation
      • Reasonably sure that it meets a minimum level of quality
      • Be able to perform at more than a basic level
    We can't agree on everything but if we treat this like a...well like a procurement standard, which is what it is we can agree to the parameters of the platform that will ensure sufficient consistency and utility to the greatest number of Monkeys. I think if we can outline the "acceptable" levels, we can probably even find off-the-shelf systems to choose from but I don't think that should be the primary focus at the beginning. Define the standards (and standard, acceptable ranges) first and move forward from there.

*The following is a request and no punches pulled*
    Please don't respond with "good luck with that" or even "I wish you the best" types of posts. Fair warning, I will flag them as inappropriate and request that the mods delete the posts because they don't help, they distract and frankly they make you sound petty and small. Here in the tree we are typically above that as a whole so don't be butt hurt. If you feel you cannot participate constructively in this or the proposed thread, please, simply refrain from doing so altogether. Debate is welcome, necessary even but we don't need the heat or the appendage wagging that this could turn into. Everyone's constructive input will be appreciated.

ColtCarbine, kellory and HK_User like this.
  6. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

When I first read this thread, it kinda set me back in my chair and I could not believe what I was reading. It came across to me as snobbery and I own Colt rifles. With that in mind, I just could not find the words to dance around calling somebody a gun snob without saying it and not offend anybody.

Normally, I do not pull punches and speak my mind regardless of who does/does not like what I have to say. Which is why I pulled my posting, out of respect for @melbo. Again, I could not find the words to congratulate him on his purchase and say this thread is coming across as gun snobbery at the same time.

I would have expected to see Gun Snob Nomenclature from a Firearms Discussion Forum but was quite surprised/disappointed to see it here on the Monkey.

Yes, I understand the Chart/List but this is only comprised of manufactured rifles. There are many guys doing their own builds with the same quality parts and/or better quality.

ETA: I know it is not gun snobbery but it did appear that way.

Quotes like this helped substantiate my thoughts that this was coming across as more gun snobbery at work. I don't think @phishi intended it to come across that way but I can see I am not the only one that took it that way.

kellory, DarkLight and BTPost like this.
  7. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

@ColtCarbine - Not trying to drag this out, honest, but I wanted to make sure that EVERYONE knows I didn't mean it in a gun snob way. What I was trying to do was request that nobody else post replies that could be construed in such a manner. Frankly I was going to take the number of "likes" on the post as an indication that an additional thread was a good idea.

ColtCarbine likes this.
  8. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

@DarkLight, the gun snob portion was not directed at you. Sorry for the confusion, being those comments were under your quote. I should have separated the posting better.

Fixed it!

BTPost, kellory and DarkLight like this.
  9. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

Looks like Darklights post should be turned into a poll by someone smarter than me.

Only thing I would add is a "not important to me" box to every question.

Whynot

10. HK_User

Good idea and a needed box.

11. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

Is this thread locked?

(EDIT) - All right, I guess it isn't. For whatever reason, the cut & paste I was trying to add keeps getting kicked back with a message indicating that I don't have permission to post to the server. Maybe because there was a link in it? Will try typing it out by hand.

12. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Nope..... wide open

13. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

Thought of the monkeys when I got this in my email...

The below from grabagun.com...

COLT FIREARMS M4 CARBINE 5.56 16 INCH BLACK - This specially designed law enforcement weapon system features many of the combat proven advantages of the military M4. With the 4-position buttstock fully retracted, the Law Enforcement Carbine is less than 30 in (76.2 cm) in length and weighs only 5.65 lb (2.56 kg) - ideal for tactical deployment and traditional patrol. Colt's Law Enforcement Carbine is available with a step-cut barrel that allows it to accept a grenade launcher for non-lethal options. Furthermore, the handguard has dual insulated aluminum shielding for more effective heat protection. $999 , get the best selling AR before they are all gone!

14. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

Also had this one...

Smith and Wesson M&P 15T 811041 Rifle 5.56NATO 16inch 30rd Black Rail
    Smith & Wesson M&P15T rifles are based on the popular semi-automatic AR-15 rifle. These rugged, lightweight rifles chambered in 5.56mm NATO are built to perform flawlessly under varied conditions. As tough as it is effective, The rifle comes standard with a chrome-lined 16" barrel, bolt carrier and gas key while its six-position adjustable stock easily accommodates varied shooters and shooting positions. 30 round detachable magazine, 1" in 8" twist, Folding Magpul MBUS front and rear sights, Magpul PMAG magazine, and a 10" anti-twist, free-floating rail. They are in stock now for $939 ; while supplies last.

15. HK_User

That will happen when you leave a reference/link to the site you are taking it from. Usually at the last part of your article.

Jeff Brackett likes this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Perhaps appropriate for this thread. G&A has an article on building an AR from scratch in the Nov '13 issue. Discusses some considerations for component selection as well as some mfr data.

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Interesting enough, so does National Rifleman, from the NRA......

18. ghrit

Oops, I lied. It is National Rifleman, not G&A. CRS this morning.

BTPost likes this.
  19. ghrit

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us!

R. Burns, "Ode to a louse"

This thread didn't go the way phishi hoped, nor the way I was looking for either. Worse, nothing was resolved beyond some shorts winding up around some ankles (and general agreement on the AR platform) we now know some folks better than before. For some reason obscure to me, I came back and reviewed it, start to finish, in the hopes of finding some grounds to resurrect the thread to get to common features that do not depend on tiers, that simply enhance interoperability between users (how I hate the term "operator.") Looks like I found some hope.

Forget about mods, admins or founding members. We do not have a lock on anyone else's opinions or facts. (We don't even try to control minds, just protect the site from violations of the CoC.)
    Forget about name brands.
    Forget about factory quality controls.
    Forget about the "chart" for the sake of this discussion, it's a tool for the user/owner to consider in purchase; has zero to do with interoperability among users.

For a first whack, a starter only for interoperability features:
    -AR config, 5.56 and .223 compatible.
    -Reliability. The one thing I would fear if I had to borrow a rifle would be getting handed a rifle that the owner had not proven reliable with all available ammo. And, I have to add, if I had to lend out one of mine that wasn't already lost in the boating accident, I would offer the lesser gun, because I know it is was more reliable than the top of the line one that has had some idiosyncrasies I know about.
    -Good trigger, regardless of weight to pull, or travel, or reset. (It takes but a very few shots to accustom to pull weight and travel.)
    -Military accuracy. (To me, and maybe me only, that is 4 moa or better in carbine config, 2 moa in rifle. That'll be a discussion for somewhere else, and eliminate shot out barrels.)
    -BUIS, regardless of optics.

More thinking on the basics?

Jeff Brackett likes this.
  20. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

Nothing really I can add. I'm too much the amateur. But I do have some 80% lowers on order, and will likely be coming back to this thread for reference when it comes time to start building them out. And I figure that by the time I manage to build a few of them out from scratch, I might not be quite as much of an amateur anymore. ;)

1. stg58
  2. Dunerunner
  3. OldDude49
  4. HK_User
  5. Lancer
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Lancer
  9. Lancer
  10. RouteClearance
  11. HK_User
  12. Motomom34