Monkey Google search help needed for memory slot config vs memory type

Discussion in 'Technical' started by AD1, May 12, 2018.

1. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Ok update time.
    Tested both 8 gig sticks(one at a time) and the laptop runs with out issues with 12gigs, 1new 8gig and 1old 4gig stick).

Now suggestions are welcome

sec_monkey likes this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Has it been de-WIndowed? That's the easiest way to increase the amount of available RAM...

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

No. I have windows based program that I need. aint an option.

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Hmmm. Did you test both 8/4 configs? By that I mean did you test the 8 and 4 both ways? 8 in slot 1|4 in slot 2 and 8 in slot 2|4 in slot 1 to be sure it's booting with a single 8 and a single 4 either way. It's strange that it's not liking the dual 8 16GB configuration. 12GB is a fair amount of ram for most windows users but I'm the type that hates to let things like this go. I want to know why it's FUBAR'd. I'm like a dog with a stick...

AD1 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Crap, something just occurred to me regarding ram speeds and timing. RAM has built into it an XMP which is a timing profile. I know high end desktop ram does anyway. It allows compatible BIOSs to auto configure ram timing in XMP mode. Now I'm not sure if laptop SODIMMs have these profiles since, as I've mentioned before, laptop BIOSs very rarely allow much configuration of ram settings. What could be happening here is that the motherboard is trying to use an xmp like profile to set CAS and RAS latency at 1600 to something like 9-8-8-12 (only example numbers) when both sticks are recognized at 1600MHz ram and the board isn't liking those latency settings. When you have the 4GB in there, it's forcing the BIOS to use latency's for 1333MHz which might be something like 10-9-9-14 and the BIOS likes that better. There could be an issue with the fact that as soon as you have the matching 8's at 1600 installed and the board recognizes this it's using its built in dual channel capability that isn't present when the mismatched size sticks are used. I'll ponder on it some more.

This is where the friend with a pile'o'parts comes in handy again. Know anybody with a matched pair of 1333 DDR3 SODIMMs you can borrow to test?

AD1 and sec_monkey like this.
  6. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

You did say the new 8's you have are DDR3L? The L stands for low voltage. DDR3L means 1.35v where standard DDR3 SODIMMs I believe work at 1.5v.

Also, have you downloaded CPU-Z to see what it can tell you about your boards memory configuration when it is able to boot? It's a useful tool to at least be able to see what your BIOS is reporting for memory. You can get the latest right from CPUID's web site. It's a well trusted and very often used trouble shooting tool.

CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

I'd suggest checking what CPU-Z shows with just a 4GB stick, then with just one of the new 8's, then with both the 4 and the 8. If it'll boot long enough with the dual 8's, see what that shows too.

AD1 likes this.
  7. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

@AD1 please go into the BIOS manually configure it to run the 2 8 gig stix at 1333 or lower if that is an option

the chipset might not support 2 stix @ 1600

AD1 likes this.
  8. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Yep Both sticks of 8 with the one stick of 4 and did this with both slots. Runs great with 12. 16 ran for aobut 5 hours yesterday and just powered off, not shut down, just died.
    I search for that option without luck.

So far there is a F2 and a F12 to get to different sections of the BIOS. Have not found anything that will let me change ram speeds.

sec_monkey likes this.
  9. sec_monkey

@AD1 can ya please post pics of the BIOS screens?

please edit fer OPSEC uv cuz

thanks [winkthumb]

10. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Some errors event viewer.

Cpu cores were being slowed

And very limited bios changes.

D18862E1-4030-4827-96D0-32B8246ACD88. 4E54A237-439C-4A6A-BF91-5457B27B2CEF. 4B6E6AA2-8430-4057-A475-4163344FB731. 41B629D0-9EEB-469C-849E-4F8543960D99. CA6E087D-BC1A-453A-8756-85F1474612ED. 236EA1C1-DEFA-483D-B556-3D92AB271EAA. 648DA7E5-073A-4770-AB55-B45EBC44547B.

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. sec_monkey

what happens if ya click on "<enter setup>" ?

12. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

It goes to the first BIOS screen in Photo3

Photo2 is accessed via F2 on start. BUT you have to shut down holding the shift key while shutting down. THEN it lets you use Either F2(to BIOS photo#3) of F12 (to BIOS Photo#6)

I cant find ANY other info on the net on any way to change ram speed.

sec_monkey likes this.
  13. sec_monkey

what are the options under Advanced then System Configuration?

sorry if that is the last pic, cannot see the whole screen

14. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

That is the advanced Config screen

Last photo is whats under system config button

sec_monkey likes this.
  15. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Looks like that particular BIOS doesn't let you do much of anything with your memory config. Curious, does the BIOS actually show the 16GB for total memory size when you have both of the 8's installed? Wondering how much ram the onboard video is being allocated. With most non-gaming laptops video won't get much more than a gig or two.

Have you taken a look at CPU-Z yet? Definitely recommend having it available to read what the BIOS is reporting. Using dxdiag should also give you some config info about the video and what resources are allocated to it.

AD1 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7