Monkey Ham Contact Freqs

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by ghrit, May 6, 2014.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

We know that the spectrum is pretty wide, and it would take an unreal stroke of luck to find a frequency with a Monkey on the air when/if the SHTF. Methinks that to make life simpler in a potentially stressful situation, it might be a good idea to set up a list of frequencies that we can all agree as a place to start comms in the event, whatever the event may be.

For now, I'm limited by antenna to 40, 20, 15, 10 and 6 meter bands. (Along with 1.25M and of course, 2M and 70cm on the h/t.) What think you all of these as starting contact freqs using SSB?
    40M -- 7.1955
    20M -- 14.2915 (possible alternate for BTPost's convenience, 14.292)
    15M -- 21.4055
    10M -- 28.3155
    6M -- 50.125, transition to 50.3155 after contact is made
    2M -- 146.340 (FM, my immediate area on the N3KZ repeater, P/L 77 negative offset. Good for at least 30 miles and sometimes a lot more.)
    For now, I'm ignoring 1.25M and 70cm as essentially useless for our purposes.

I've picked the freqs rather deliberately avoiding the 5kHz steps usually observed in the hope that the half kHz steps will yield a clearer use, dunno if that's a good idea or not. subject to revision with more experienced input. All thoughts and suggestions welcome; don't feel limited by my antenna at this stage. I'm sure others don't have all band capability either.

Once we have a general agreement on frequencies, I think I'll program the xceivers to scan those freqs whenever I go active, so I'll be more or less ready to do something in an event situation.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I would add these to Frequencies to the List:
    80M 3.8455 Mhz
    160M 1.8455 Mhz

This would complete the Monkey BandPlan.
    MonkeyNet Calling Setup for SECURE Phones is Channel5/Code5
    and a reminder, that MonkeyNet Technology is available to everyone....
    and MonkeyNet Membership, can be asked for, by contacting "The Monkey Founders Representative" via PM....

kellory likes this.
  3. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

It's a cool idea but I suggest having more than one frequency in each band, perhaps have a range of frequencies. Even with choosing oddball steps you can't count on any particular channel being free, especially in a large scale SHTF when the HF frequencies will be very busy.

ghrit likes this.
  4. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Saving the list in a couple places and printing it to attach to the receiver.

5. ghrit

Very good. Not as sure that a range is desirable, but can't hurt as a third level place to look. I'll defer to anyone for suggested secondary freqs in any band. As of now, but maybe not later, a secondary on 40M would need to be a lower freq than about 7.240, I have a gear limitation that will go away later.

For now, adding the 80 and 160 to the list is good. I can't use them in the short haul for transmitting, but I can listen.

Tully Mars and BTPost like this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I'm limited to 2m and 70cm at this time. Perhaps a better radio later, as funds allow. I will copy and save the final list though.

AmericanRedoubt1776 and Ric like this.
  7. ghrit

Here's where we are today, waiting on suggested secondaries in each band within the allowed General ticket frequencies. (We can't plan on all having Extra privileges.) We do need to consider the tech guys as well, so 10M is going to be more than a bit concerning, as well as useful mobile/portable for those without major investments in mobile antennas.)

80M - 3.8455 Mhz
    160M - 1.8455 Mhz
    40M -- 7.1955
    20M -- 14.2915
    15M -- 21.4055
    10M -- 28.3155
    6M -- 50.125, transition to 50.3155 after contact is made

AmericanRedoubt1776 and BTPost like this.
  8. kellory

Nothing in 2meter?

9. ghrit

Sure, but 2M (and 70cm or 1.25M) will be local with very limited range. With repeaters, much more range, but still local. If anyone has folks close enough to use repeaters or simplex modes, then they should make arrangements with the local folks. In my case, it's as in post #1.

There may also be some linked repeaters within range, but I don't know enough about that yet.

BTW, there are some 6M repeaters out there, too. I know nothing about them, none close enough to me to hit.

10. kellory

My thought is for when mobile. When near some other monkeys, known or not.

11. BTPost

146.52 is the National Calling Simplex Frequency so maybe 146.58 should be the Monkey Challenge Frequency.... Just a suggestion....

12. Ric

Ric Monkey

Good idea BT.....

13. jlk

jlk Monkey

MEMBERSHIP IN PREPPER GROUP FOR SHFT COMMUNICATIONS?
    As a new visitor to the site, I was very happy to see several comments about prepping for SHFT communications.

(For sure, this topic has probably been talked to death, but there are always newbies coming along like me.)

Question: What is a reasonably efficient way to acquire prepper contacts with prearranged band frequencies and time-of-day? [Note: Excluding official EmComm groups such as RACE.)

How can one efficiently become a member of a casual prepper group--in relevant city and State--so that communication can be established in case of grid failure (e.g., EMP)?

Sure, one can sit around on radio doing random CQs. But, there must be a more efficient approach.

Perhaps site like 'Monkey Ham' might find it feasible to allocate such subsections organized by State? Within each such subsection, perhaps interested contactees could list personal contact information (e.g., desired date, time, frequency).

No doubt, more effective approaches for establishing local prepper groups are available; but, just doing a bunch of random CQs seems pretty futile to me.

Please, any ideas?

[Note: It was pleasure to notice name of Bruce (BTPost) prominently displayed on this site.]

14. BTPost

Well, I guess I am kind of prominent, here on the Monkey, when it comes to Comms....

First off, Welcome to the Monkey Tree, and please feel free to contribute where ever you see fit... That is what this place is all about....
    We try and keep track of the Monkey Hams that wish to check in with us, (BTPost, Ghrit) with their Call Signs, via PMs, or in MonkeyChat.

We also have a Private Group, of Long Time, and KNOWN Monkeys, that are connected via SECURE Comms, known as MonkeyNet. This Group is by Invitation Only, and was started to facilitate a SECURE Comms System, after a STHF, or National Disaster Senerio, where Internet, may or May NOT, function, to keep our Monkey Friends connected. You can read about the Comms Technology involved in the Advanced Comms forum, Communications White Paper... MonkeyNet is here.... The technology is freely available, to ANYONE, but the Group is kept tight, for OpSec Reasons. Any Monkey is eligible to Apply for membership, and once approved, by a SurvivalMonkey.com Founders Representatives, access is given to the Secured MonkeyNet SubForum, in the Comms Forum.
    We also have a BitMessage Forum, and Directory, that is available to ANY Monkey, that would like to publish their BitMessage Address, for SECURE Internet Comms via the BitMessage Protocols.
    In ALL our messaging, around here, OpSec is the WatchWord. It isn't that we do not Trust, our fellow Monkeys, so much, as until we get to know them, on a Personal, and Friendship Basis, we tend to be pretty tight about our Prep'en business.
    Also you may NOTE: The SurvivalMonkey Site, including MonkeyChat runs on the SSL (Secure Socket Layer) IP Protocol so that ALL Packets exchanged between ANY Monkey, and our Server, are Encrypted, with the strongest Encryption available to US. This means that PMs, & MonkeyChat, are as Secured as We can Make them, and for MonkeyChat, there are NO Logs, kept, longer than 24 Hours, as they are Flushed each Night. We thank our Senior Admin for these recent UpGrades.
    Also NOTE, the Canary, in the lower RightHand Corner of ALL the Site Pages. This Text file is upgraded weekly, Is SIGNED with a GPG/PGP Private Key, so that the File can NOT be altered in ANY Way, by ANYONE, other than our Senior Admin, (Only he has access to the Private Key) and proves that this Site has NOT Received ANY Secret FISA Court Warrants, that we are not allowed to disclose to our Members. Should the Canary, disappear, or not show a Valid GPG/PGP Signature, All our members would Know, ASAP, to NOT trust the Site, as it would have been Penetrated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
    Tjb61, Bandit99, AD1 and 1 other person like this.
  15. ghrit

Glad you saw the tip on prepared ham. Welcome aboard.

16. jlk

jlk Monkey

Sincere thanks to:

1. BTPost for excellent information post. Previously, I hadn't heard about Bitmessage. Someday, I look forward to becoming part of MonkeyNet.
    2. Thank you, ghrit, for referring me to 'survivalmonkey.' I believe that I've found a truly outstanding Internet home.

Very grateful for membership in survivalmonkey,

jlk

Note: I've been experiencing a bit of difficulty with my password. Perhaps because of alpha character symbols? Anyway, that's my excuse for slow response to your friendly welcomes.

Altoidfishfins and melbo like this.
  17. ghrit

I suspect you are running into a typo sort of thing. You can change your password yourself, but if you continue to have a problem, we may be able to help you with a change. There should be no problems with symbols that aren't used in coding. (like / or : are used)

18. jlk

jlk Monkey

@ghrit;
    Password worked this time. Thanks for responding.

19. slashsplat

slashsplat Monkey

@BTPost your link above seems to fail Communications White Paper... MonkeyNet is here....! I have an old version of the paper, and will go look in the thread for it to see if it is newer. Also interested in getting the tools to setup a play MonkeyNet here, and would PM you if I could find "PM" anywhere. Xenforo is new to me. Is that "Starting a conversation"?
    TIA

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  20. kellory

PM means private message or start a conversation. Yes.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7