Monkeyman on TV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by monkeyman, Nov 19, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

For those interested just thought I would mention that the log build project where I worked with the McPherson's on a replica of Fort Clatsop, as I understand is supposed to air Wed. Nov. 24 (this comeing Wed.) at 11:00 PM on the History Channel. Not sure if its the same time everywhere or not but central time at least that's the word I got. If someone has cable and gets a chance to record it let me know, I wont be able to see it and not sure if anyone around here will be able to record it or not.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

cool. I'll look for it!

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Awesome, I will be up! No work on Turkeyday!

4. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Be there or be square!!!

I'm looking forward to watching the program (and taping it for Quig). [cof]

5. monkeyman

Cool. Do check your local listings to be sure, the info I have is third hand from the producers to John then to me, so not positive if the time is right or been changed or what ever. Its part of 'The big build' series (I think thats the final name they used for it, I know thats what they were calling it when it was being filmed) and we are the third episode, the one about Fort Clatsop. It sounded like some of the others were going to be cool too, they were going to have one that was a speak easy, they had one that was a viking ship (the recipiant burned it to ash a week after he got it in an accident with varnishing it), a tower (that didnt get finished as planned but not sure how the were going to present it) and not sure what the others were.

6. TLynn

Will do! In fact I'll do that this evening. Because around here they change everything (they tell us one thing and do something else).

T

7. TLynn

Great show...loved the host trying to eat grubs :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. monkeyman

LOL yeah, did it show the other guy then chow down with out a problem? The host was prety much an idiot pretty boy. Oh and did he change his bit where he talked about 'and some of these logs weigh as much as almost 500 pounds', when he was talking fresh pine 25' long and 18" thick or more? I want to find a copy of it, I got to see the whole blooper real as it happened (real life) but havent seen the show. Im also curious just what they used and how they crunched it down, I know they shot close to 50 hours of actual film, hell they probably had an hour or 2 of interviews just with me and I wasnt even close to a central person in the whole thing. May have to call the producers next week and see if I can get a free copy. lol

9. monkeyman

Well, I finally got ahold of a copy of the show today and watched it. Thought of changeing my 'rank' to '...mountian of a man from Missouri' but it was to long. lol
    I guess it turned out pretty decent, but haveing been there and knowing all the stuff that was left out made it kind of like 'WTF?'. With the run time of the show and then the amount of stuff they showed that wasnt filmed there (like the original fort and footage of the indians and stuff) then I know how much footage was shot of the build and there was probably only about 1% of it used for the show, so for every minute of building that was shown they had about an hour and a half of footage. Im not just talking actual build time since that was around 115 hours or a little more but they had (IIRC) about 50 hours or so on film of interviews with everyone and building stuff and John makeing primitive tools and such.
    I did have to chuckel though that after I lauphed in the hosts face and told him I wanted logs from his world, after he had recorded a shot claiming that the biggest logs we were useing 9fresh spring cut cedar 18"-24" thick and 25' long) weighed as much as 500 pounds, in the finished show he gets closer with an estimate of (IIRC) 1500 lbs. It was realy cool to watch for me with knowing all the stuff behind the scenes even if in a way it was a downer to see how much awsome stuff wound up on the cutting room floor.
    Oh and yeah the host was the only one on site wearing make up and the auger wasnt close to the only tool he broke. He also yanked the rope out of my saw, broke a cross cut saw and I think he was the one who broke the hedge handle on the hatchet among other stuff.

10. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Way to go Moviestar! That is cool being part of a project like that.

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That is cool, Monkeyman. b:: And the ones who know will tell those who don't know -that logs vary in weight not only due to size, but also due to its moisture content. :D I remember felling trees with my dad years ago, and I had to do everything by hand...well, when we reached a group of oaks that were wet, I took a break before and after hauling that timber. [aiw]

12. monkeyman

Yeah they definatly vary depending on time of year/moisture and kind of wood but when you get a log thats pushing 2' across and 25' long I dont know of ANY of them that only weigh 500 lbs like he tried to state at the start. Which I know what its like to do it all by hand, aside from doing tree work for a living when we were working on that, like I say they had like 50 hours or so of tape and if they were tapeing we generaly were not allowed to use power tools, includeing the 4 wheeler to move logs but didnt have time to stop work so a LOT of the work on the fort was all done with the old hand tools.
    It was just a realy cool experience getting to work with the folks there and do that kind of build. They didnt bother to show the bios they taped on everyone but its kind of like the old guy with the beard, Jack, is one of the main player world wide in bringing back the paraguin fgalcon and has had a hand in helping with the bald eagle and hunts with falcons a lot. It was also cool that of 10 people doing the build we had people from 4 different states there,MO, OK, KS, and Idaho.

13. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Martin and I have brought down some BIG TIMBER!!!!!!

14. monkeyman

In your area I bet so, I know from what I understand you have a lot of big old growth stuff out there. I bet most of them over 20' long also weighed a bit over 500 lbs. lol

15. melbo

Dees someone have this on VHS?
    I think Clyde has a VHS to DVD unit. I can then burn DVDs to pass around.

16. TLynn

Yes melbo, I taped it for Quigley like I said I would. Don't know how well it turned out because I had to tape over another tape (weather was shitty and I didn't have time to buy another tape).

17. melbo

cool T. Take a look at it and see if it did work. I'd like to see it

18. monkeyman

I got a copy from my brother in law. I think there MAY be a minute or so of intro or something missing but if Tlynns copy is to bad I may be able to get a copy off of this one. If you can get it to DVD let me know, I would enjoy driveing Tina nuts with it on DVD since then I could frame up and zoom and stuff! :D [peep]

19. melbo

Another Idea. We just purchased a 5 part seris from a local station that dealt with our son and the Marching Band at University of Tennessee. DVD was $35

I don't know if whomever filmed this would sell it but might be worth an email.

20. TLynn

I'll check melbo tomorrow. Mom's watching TV right now so I can't interrupt that :lol:

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7