Monkeys beware Millions of Smart TVs, Phones and Routers At Risk

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sec_monkey, Dec 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

via /

Ganado and stg58 like this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

GOOD.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Every router has a user name a password. The defaults are user name: admin and password: admin.

My router's user name is admin; however its password isn't admin. :):)

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Of what? Your title said millions at risk but you didn't say what we are at risk of......... I am sure it is risk of being hacked but my Mom said never ass-u-me.............

sec_monkey and Ganado like this.
  5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Must be some really dumb MFGs out there.

The unit I use will not work past the first install step unless you set the password to something new.

The more secure places I visit require non word pass words, i.e., no dictionary words.

Then again that's why a smart company actually employ a IT Security group, most do not.

HK

6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

True, where routers are preset is when they are installed by the provider and required to access to or be recognized by their service.
    Where we live now, there is only one ISP offering DSL, who supplies a router with wireless. The first router's wireless range did not provide for our needs, so used one I bought for where I used to live and plugged into the router's LAN ports.
    After their first router died and its replacement provided the wireless range we required; I set up a private and guest wireless accounts and changed the admin password.

I change the guest password after guests leave.

7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Just use your initials and the last 16 digits of Pi and you are good to go for a password

mysterymet, Ganado and kellory like this.
  8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

With me, that one would be a copy and paste password. LOL

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

As a non terminating non repeating decimal, you will never reach the LAST 16 digits;)

BTPost and Tikka like this.
  10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Yep, so no one will ever guess your password. Not even yourself. Can't be much more secure than that. Rubber hose technique will never get it out of you either, even though one wish it might!

Motomom34 and kellory like this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Then it will truly be secure.

12. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

A few words for thought. Firewalls are there to keep malicious programs out. Anti-Virus is there to stop or limit damage once the program gets in. If your firewall is done right, nobody gets in.

A friend’s son does firewalls for the government and large business. He says most operating systems are created for convenience and not security. Almost all OS's are sqhishy, firewals if done right create a hard impenetrable shell. Something to meditate on.

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

@Motomom34 sorry that is essentially all the article said.

They have not released the details about the vulnerability to try to protect users and to give the manufacturers time to patch it before something really bad happens.

Users need to be vigilant and have to install their own security because the manufacturers are slow to patch these vulnerabilities, if they ever get patched.

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. sec_monkey
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Motomom34
  5. DarkLight
  6. Motomom34
  7. sec_monkey
  8. sec_monkey
  9. sec_monkey
  10. melbo
  11. melbo