Gear Review Mora Robust

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Apr 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Thanks to our very own @Bear, I have a Mora Robust to try out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SROLRDK/?tag=survivalmonke-20

First off, like most Mora's, it came sharp. Shaving sharp, but not sharp enough to shave curls on a hair. I suspect a high quality knife. I mean, all Mora's are. The blade is thicker than the normal Mora and the handle is comfortable. The sheath is the typical one you would get. Cheap, but light weight and functional. I plan to add a ranger band to the top to enhance retention for when on the trail.

If you have one or used one or just want to, feel free to chime in and add your two cents.

My first test is, surprisingly, food prep. Monkeys asked me to cut up some apples for them. No problemo. The thicker blades clearly makes it not a food prep type blade. But it will do the job. The apples are starting the patina on the carbon steel blade.

More as I use it some more. Please add your reviews too. I would really like to see them.

2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I have a Mora knife. Haven't had the chance to use it much. Looks like a quality carbon steel blade. My only complaint is the plastic sheath. The knife tends to rattle 'round in it when you're walking. Would've preferred a leather one. Actually would have bought one had Mora offered them as an accessory.

GrayGhost, Hanzo and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That was really kind of @Bear to gift you that knife. It is very nice looking and a great price. I agree with you regarding the Mora sheaths. They are cheap, wish they would make up-grade ones that you could select rather then plastic.

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

This was the video that @Bear sent to me...

ochit and Dunerunner like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I forgot to mention the two negatives I see with this knife. Maybe one and a half.

The spine is not 90 degrees. And it isn't even flat. The spine is the roughest part of the knife construction.

The half a negative is that the handle just fits my hand. My fingers just make it between the guards. I wear size large gloves. But my hands are not overly large. So if you have big hands, it may not be as confortable as can be.

Motomom34, snake6264 and HK_User like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This sounds like a good knife for females or maybe you can hand it down to your Monkeys.

Hanzo likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

We all have multiple Mora’s.

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I have the robust a very light touch up. Just a little stropping.

Was able to shave curls in a hair. But I am not the best at it, having only just recently started trying to do that. That is all one connected strand. But I think I put too much pressure. Almost cut clean through twice.

So sharpening, like all Moras, is easy. And it does get quite sharp.

oldawg likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Matei
  4. Matei
  5. norseman
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: norseman, Mar 8, 2021, 3 replies, in forum: Blades
  6. Ganado
  7. Ganado
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. 3M-TA3