Morakniv Garberg Adjustment

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Brokor, Mar 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

MORA GARBERG

[​IMG]
    It's a very good bushcraft knife, but the Mora Garberg does have one, small "flaw" as I see it. The handle texture is a bit aggressive, which causes discomfort when carving. I find this to be quite annoying.

Enter - JB Weld.
    DSC00071.JPG
    After a few hours set time (I waited over night) and a little sanding, it's ready for a touch-up paint job.

DSC00072.JPG
    It's not perfect, but definitely an improvement. I can go back and do a second coat if I like, but I am not too worried about aesthetics. The handle is smooth enough, won't cause discomfort, and now I have a great, full tang bushcraft knife.

avagdu, Oltymer, Dunerunner and 6 others like this.
  2. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Nice...good thinking, @Brokor.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that's not afraid to modify a perfectly sound tool to fit my individual taste or purpose.

Dunerunner, Tully Mars and Brokor like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have a pretty good tip to pass along, For making handles or modifying/re contouring there is a product called Sculpty you can get at art supply stores. It is a modeling putty that you can shape into all sorts of things including very complex shapes and designs. Once you have it the way you want it, pop in in the oven and it sets up solid. This stuff is amazingly strong and is sandable for final shaping. I had an Old Bayonet that originally had a bakelite handle and it fell apart from age. I formed a new handle and rough shaped it to almost an exact shape and then baked it and final shaped with files and sanding and it turned out great. This stuff can also be painted to match. A one pound block goes for about 12 bucks and is well worth the expense.

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I've noticed that since my last job was rather soft on my hands, and i've retired, my hands have softened a bit , but I think I'd rather toughen them up again, knowing that the world is not soft, and having tougher hands will reduce my injury levels in the coming years.
    Food for thought.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

There's a difference between having tough hands and then using a tool which causes pain and injury with repeated use. It doesn't matter how tough you are, if you use poor posture your back will ache. If you bend improperly and fatigue your back often, you will get a back injury. If you use repetitive motion with your arms, wrists, and hands you can seriously injure yourself (unless you like carpal tunnel). A knife you choose to use when you grip tightly and carve into wood really should be comfortable, and if it is designed to have tactical advantage (like aggressive handle scales as we see on the Mora Garberg) it's not meant to be held for hours with a strong grip. Honestly, I do not understand their thinking with this design.

"Made for strong, tough men with heavily callused hands. Wimps need not apply because the world is not soft." --Not exactly a good marketing slogan.

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have custom designed handles for people and my self on tools that get used rigorously .
    My single jack has a hook in the handle ,making it easier to lock in my grip while forging.
    Custom fitting something to fit personalizes the tool ,, every ones body is different especially their hands.
    I often alter my gloves to fit me properly . about the only things I leave loosely, when possible, is my clothing .
    I bet you adjust your seat in the car to fit you.
    the height of you chair to the desk , and so on.
    The knife of all tools ,should fit a persons hand like it belongs there.

Brokor likes this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Aspiring_Caveman
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. Dunerunner
  9. DKR
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. AxesAreBetter