Morality...........

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by Bluenote, May 23, 2012.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

[pop]

tulianr likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ok Folks, lets us ALL Cool our Collective Jets here a Bit.... Personal Challenges on, others Ideas, Religion, and Morality, are a bit beyond the TOS for the Forums. We can debate the Issues, but Personal Challenges will NOT be Tolerated. If folks feel the need to make it Personal, take it OFF FORUM.
    We are ALL Responsible for what we post here, and we are ALL Monkeys, which means we have Common Interests as well as individual Beliefs. ......

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Faith, evidence, "proof", and falsifiability

Note 1. That
    is a claim of faith...it is an article of faith, and in that sense it is a coherant statement in the context of that particular faith position. Whether that claim supports, with any credible evidence the notion that "moral" behaviour requires a belief in god is entirely a different matter altogether.

Note 2. You're entitled to the opinion, but it does not do your argument any favours by resorting to appeal to ridicule to make your point. Evidence throughout history may be adduced to support the contradiction of the claim that "a belief in god is required for moral behaviour", but let us not get into the morass of "proof". Not even scientists, if they adhere to the scientific method, admit to certainties and absolute proofs. Such conclusions that they do come to are provisional, subject to falsification, not withstanding that some scientific propositions have been provisional for a very long time. The problem with many faith claims is that they are not falsifiable.

Falsifiability - RationalWiki

Falsifiability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jim2 likes this.
  4. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I think it is time to clarify. I believe in god, Having said that I dont think that is required to be a moral person. The ten commandments are the rules necessary for an organized society to exist.

Morality comes for within regardless of what your motivation is, be it religion, or just a belief in proper conduct. I have met too many Christians who failed to live up to the expectation to believe it is all god.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Why do I not believe morals should be legislated by the state or the clergy? Let me count the ways...

First, we have the Inquisition -link- which was without a doubt a move by the church to gain power. Further, we have the separation of the Catholic Church from England -link- during Henry VIII's reign. I am certain many were killed over that transition. Should we dare forget the crusades? -link- Every conceivable sin against "morality" surely came about in this age. Wait...aren't we still fighting over the Holy Land? -link- -link- -link- Onward, let us recall the Salem witch hunts...those evil witches were about as immoral as it gets! -link- To me, personally -this is the icing on the proverbial cake. Nothing else says it quite as clearly as condemning people due to mass hysteria and ignorance. Where were their morals? I wonder...

You know, I think the world can do with a lot less morality shoved down its throat and a little more common sense.

6. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I take issue with your reference to the crusades, They were a response to an incursion into Europe by the Muslims. Granted there were many excesses by the church but I believe that was called the Inquisition.

7. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Just a thought here:

Most people do not *choose* their "religion." It was passed to them by their parents. Sure, you can opt-out...but I'm saying if you're religious, you are so because of your parents. Put another way, it is a rarity to find a very religious person who has atheists for parents. Put a third way, how many people undertake a comparative religion analysis and *choose* which offshoot of Christianity they ascribe to.

Now, let's shift gears to another country: same goes for there. You are of the religion of your parents. There is no more choice for a Muslim to convert to Christianity than a Christian to become Jew or a Jew to become a Buddhist (in general).

Let's switch back to the U.S.: Are there any Southern Baptists in Minot N.D.? Why is the greatest concentration of Mormons in Utah? Catholics in N.Y., N.J., R.I, and CT? Protestants in the Dakotas? In general, generations don't disperse geographically (although that is changing).

The point is that your religion is determined by where you were born. Knowing where you are born allows me to "guess" with a high degree of certainty what your religion is (lambda -- a proportional reduction in error statistic). We are fortunate to be born in a country where you won't be stoned to death for opting out. Regardless, however, the parents/caregivers are the ones who pass these morals down--where ever they come from.

Parents are the primary method by which morals, values, norms are passed to future generations. If your parents are Muslim, you are going to get a dose of those values (which allegedly come from God too). If you were born in the Middle East, you are much more likely to be Muslim...there is no choice in who your parents are.

8. Brokor

Killing in the name of any God is my point. Is it moral to kill because it is for the purpose and reason dictated by the government, ruler, dictator, pope, or other clergy? And how about the numerous campaigns sent to conquer the Holy Lands? This was my (obvious) point. Take issue if you like, but the point is clear.

And I wouldn't call mass murder an "excess". The inquisition was mass extermination of anyone who did not fall in line and worship the chosen God. They even created their own words like Sarah Palin, the term 'heresy' was created by a member of the clergy, Irenaeus. I would say drinking too much alcohol is an effect of excess. Obesity can be described as eating in excess. But, genocide is not simply excess.

tulianr and VisuTrac like this.
  9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think that many of us absorb the best of all beliefs as we evolve and try to lead more satisfying lives. I've always been drawn to the Shinto Kami, ultimate good, where we learn an appreciation for all things the world lays at our feet, rocks, trees, rivers, animals, places and people. All of these can contain the nature of the kami.

In other words, many things in the world possess an "ultimate" sense about them - as if they are connected to or reflective of "the ultimate" or the divine. This sense is what is called the kami.

Whether the God be the Judeo-Christian most familiar to the majority of us, Vishnu, Mohammad, the teachings of Buddha or Confucianism, Mother Earth, or any other of the myriad belief systems in the world, each has an essence of goodness and we can take that part and live it even if we don't subscribe to every aspect of the "ism"

tulianr, chelloveck and ghrit like this.
  10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I am not a religious person, yet i am very devout. I believe that what created the smell of a rose, the flight of a bee and it's product, the cleansing of water, the nourishment of sunlight is called god and it doesn't matter if god is upper case or lower case because god created, or is life and the forces , chemical, evolutionary, and miracle, that propagates life and challenges evolution and therefore is not cognizant and does not care about my meager opinion of it since I require it to live and have only one choice other than accepting it and that is dying. Life is energy and there-by cannot be destroyed, only altered and stored elsewhere, maybe collectively, maybe scattered as like poles and fueling something we don't understand. Everything else about it smells like man and his vested interests.
    oh? And Larry? I wasn't calling you an asshole, merely pointing out that just about every time I hear the thump of a bible, some asshole is there to tell me why it was God's will.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Larry, don't give up. Your beliefs are important to you, and us knowing yours, and you knowing ours (important to each) will solidify the monkey's acceptance of differences. As long as the discussion is civil, there's no foul.

12. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I, for one, thoroughly enjoy discussions of different viewpoints. They are healthy and refreshing, much more interesting than talking about a TV show on last night. My apologies if I have offended you or any others - sincerely not my intention as I try to describe my view of life. Head's up - never challenge RightHand to a debate of the theoretical - I'm always game

Tracy and chelloveck like this.
  13. Brokor

So, which is better RH...maple syrup or maple cream?

If you have never had maple cream before, you can only theorize. I have the profound pleasure of actually possessing the knowledge of both exquisite varieties. I prefer the maple cream. If there is a god, this, in my opinion would be the strongest evidence I can think of in support of one. =)

Darn.

Looks like these folks made it after all: Shop Lochs

14. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

15. RightHand

One other thought - then I promise to shut up - who among us has not wondered at least once in our lives, where we might be on a road to Nirvana?

16. Brokor

Oh, I hate that band. [monkeyeating]

17. Seacowboys

Man made god into the narcissistic collector of souls. Ultimately what is the plan? Collect souls and have them worship...the concept of worship offends me. I understand the love of god, I understand the awe of creation.
    I tried to express the beauty of a god that creates rather than man's idea of one that is so damned narcissistic.
    I saw evil one night in a teenager that had a circle of friends that were mesmerized by his satanic ******** and sat in the trees and watched and listened while he convinced his followers that he was the reincarnation of Charles Manson and they should listen to Helter Skelter and go murder a family.I was deeply depressed after my wife had left me and hadn't shaved or bathed or done much sleeping in weeks, my hair and beard were long and i looked like a wild man. I walked out of the shadows and into their circle and stood for a moment looking into Charlse Manson's crazy eyes and everybody was silent to see what was going to happen. Then I saw the fear and bluster begining to creep into his eyes so I slapped him across the face with my open hand and knocked him to the ground and said" You stupid ****, Manson is still alive so you can't be a reincarnation of him."

chelloveck, Brokor and BTPost like this.
  18. RightHand

Thank you to my friend Chello. We are both unabashed debaters!

and to Brokor, I've always preferred maple cream. I have fond memories from childhood of making little maple cream balls with my brother. Their sweetness precluded eating more than just a bite or two but we would enjoy a little bit every day for weeks. It was worth the work of the whipping

Brokor likes this.
  19. RightHand

Sea, did you ever find out who the guy was????? Probably not, I guess.

20. Seacowboys

I think he changed his name and moved to Alabama. Larry something or other...(Just Kidding , Larry).

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7