Morality...........

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by Bluenote, May 23, 2012.

1. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

In the Biblical Hebrew it translates to Thou Shall Not Murder -- they were using the Slavic and Germany (Rhineland ) to translate when they came up with the shall not kill !!

JMHO

2. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

A lot of people don't realize that scripture is not a translation. As in a word for word accounting. It isn't possible to do so owing to the structure of the original languages compared with our modern languages. All of scripture in an English Bible, or German, French etc. is a transliteration.

Meaning that someone, generally medieval monks who understood the original Hebrew and Greek would read a passage and then write in modern language what they thought it was saying. Of course this led to many errors one of which is the "Thou shalt not kill" mentioned previously.

Hebrew words have different meanings and it is up to the reader to put in the context. The Hebrew word for "kill" is used to mean to kill with malice, in other words to murder.( I'm sorry I don't have my Strong's Concordance with me or I would cite the actual word and it's correlative meanings). The wording in the original is quite clear in context to mean "murder", not simply kill. But the unfamiliarity of these transliteraters with Hebrew wording, sentence structure and grammer is what has led to many errors in our version.

As to the morality question my stance is that we all have within us, encoded into our DNA if you will, an inherent sense of right and wrong. People of faith believe this comes from our creator. The way in which we choose to express, or suppress, this inner voice is manifested in our own personal set of ethics. And that is subject to societal influences.

The original statement that only people of faith can be moral is simply wrong and misguided. And, not to defend that fallacy, but to clarify what I think was meant by it is a question that is debated among many faiths. If you don't believe in the set of moral codes of conduct, as prescribed in the Bible or the Quran or any other faiths codified ethos. Then can you be trusted, can you be ethical, are your ethics tangible or are they fluid? Do they change to fit the circumstances. Is a person who doesn't subscribe to the 10 commandments able to ignore them and violate them at will? Are they free to lie, cheat, steal, murder? I would say that we all are and it doesn't have to do with morality but ethics. Violating ones morals does not negate those morals. I think that it is only easier to violate them for those without faith, but the sense of "wrongness" is still there. So what is morality? Anyone who subscribes to the Christian faith and believes in it's tenets has to believe that we are all created beings, we all have the God given, inherent sense of right and wrong. We all have morals. It is only those who are corrupted by sin (which of course is all of humanity) that randomly and wantonly ignore those morals and choose to commit unethical acts. If we never violated our sense of morality we would not need redemption and forgiveness. But that does not make us "immoral" as in lacking of morals. It is in our outward expression of those inward morals that we fail.

Lying and stealing is unethical but people do it all the time. And most who don't engage in that type of behavior do so not because of some fear of deistic retribution but out of an inherent sense of "wrongness". Even those who do engage in that behavior feel the wrongness of the act, they only choose to ignore it. How many criminals later express regret for their actions and seek redemption? And not always after being caught either.

As to RH's question about violating an ethos or moral construct in time of need. My personal position on that would be that first, killing in defense of ones self,family or even a stranger is permissible in nearly all faiths. With of course maybe the exception of some offbeat Hindu or Buddhist sects. It is a mistake in the transliteration of Hebrew scripture that has led to that fallacy in the Christian world.
    As for stealing to feed your family I would expect myself or any other Christian man to provide for those that God has placed under his care. By any means necessary. Personally I would steal to feed my children if that was the only course left to me. But I would exhaust all other possibilities first and my faith would be that God would provide a means to do so without my having to resort to such measures.
    But even if I had to resort to that type of action I would feel a good deal of remorse for it. I would still be a moral person. I think the only people who we can state are completely without morals, without any type of ethos, are the sociopaths and that is a very rare condition that is a verifiable mental illness.

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

....any man or woman

Minuteman likes this.
  4. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Then I have a question about Evangelical Christians...perhaps Pentecostals specifically (since they were on the hot-seat recently) and their belief in Biblical inerrancy.

To paraphrase, these people believe that regardless of translation errors, through divine intervention, the monks rendered translations that were near enough to the original that the translations were considered the word of God too. (And I'm not challenging your post...I'm very curious about this topic)

I've always figured that back in the day...from Seth to Abraham to Isaac to Moses, you're looking at a couple thousand years there. Additionally, there probably weren't too many books floating around :) . So, all of the scripture during this time would've really been oral history.

We all know that if we tell someone a story, then have that story told from one person to the next, we're going to end up with a different story.

My point is that I just don't see how rational people could consider the King James version of the Bible to be without errors/omissions/embellishments. I think it is impossible for humans with their "good intentions" not to tweak things here and there in order to "clarify" things.

Yes, I guess my theory doesn't hold water if you (rhetorical) come back at me and say "God guided their hand, so whatever they wrote must be the original words of God."

Anyway...I appreciate the posts...they make me think. ....keeps the Alzheimer's at bay. :D

5. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Guit_fishN, your thoughts on Biblical Inerrancy mirror mine, and the problem created by the concept of Biblical Inerrancy was initially, years ago, the reason that I began to question the faith that I once had in Christianity. If I had been raised in a Christian denomination that did not embrace Biblical Inerrancy, I would have probably never questioned my faith, and would probably be a Christian today.

I, like our friend Bluenote, was raised in an evangelical, fundamentalist, southern church. His was Pentacostal, mine was Baptist; but the death grip on Biblical Inerrancy was something that both of our churches had in common. It was actually my attempt to better understand my faith, the teachings of my church, and the Bible, that led me to become an agnostic. I could not reconcile my belief in Biblical Inerrancy with the obvious errors and contradictions that I encountered in the Bible.

I found myself in a state of cognitive dissonance - the teachings of my church conflicted with what my reason told me was true. I couldn't continue to embrace both - either my faith, or my reason, had to be subdued or disposed of. I chose to follow my reason.

I know that Minuteman made a point, and a good point it was, that faith and religion is not the same thing; and while I agree with that basic assertion, I would argue that ones faith is generally greatly colored by the particular set of Christian teachings that one is exposed to. Both the Baptist and the Catholic may share a basic faith in God, but the particular details of that faith will vary. Religious faith goes well beyond the belief in a supreme being.

Actually, my own experience with turning my back on the religious teachings that I was raised with is one reason that I feel that making too strong a connection between Christianity (or any other religion) and ones sense of morality is a mistake. If a person's entire moral base is wrapped up in their religious beliefs, and they walk away from those beliefs, what happens to their moral base?

For a lot of people, and I am not including everyone in this statement, basing their sense of morality on the Church is an easy way out. You don't have to think for yourself, if the Church tells you what is right and what is wrong. You don't have to wrestle with such issues as abortion, or gay marriage. You just look to your pulpit, and say "amen." They think whatever they are told to think, by their Bible or their pastor. That just isn't me.

When my wife and I adopted our son, my brother-in-law made the comment, "Well, I guess you guys will have to start going to church now." I raised an eyebrow and asked "why", and he said, "You have a child to raise now. Where else is he going to learn right from wrong?"

I run into that attitude quite a lot, and the idea that I can't teach my child right from wrong without the Bible or the Church is something that still makes me smile.

I understand Bluenote's anger. He perhaps is not dealing with it very well, and his personal attacks on others indicates that there is a much larger issue beyond his religious opinions at work; but I get the source of his anger. I live in the Bible Belt, and my entire family are Christian Fundamentalists. Identifying yourself as agnostic is difficult, and immediately opens you up to unending attacks and derision. Of course, if you attack Christianity, you are an atheist, or a communist; or perhaps you've just hardened your heart to God. They'll pray for you.

Anyone who identifies themselves as agnostic, and who had a religious background, traveled a long, hard road to get to where they are. They had to question everything that they believed in, and often had to deal with the censure of their family and friends, who still embraced their former religion. To treat these people condescendingly and to suggest that they just don't understand, or else they would be on the Christianity band wagon, is a slap in the face. It isn't that they don't understand, it is that they perhaps understand too well. They have generally spent a long time answering some hard questions and accepting some personal truths that are too difficult for many to swallow.

Does morality come from Christianity? No. Does it come from faith in a creator? No. Morality is a social construct which allows people to interact in a community. Right and wrong? That is a different question, and I agree that a sense of right and wrong is innate. Try giving a piece of candy to one small child, and not to another, and that particular proposition can be proven quickly. Children understand right and wrong and fairness before they can even walk. Morality has to be taught.

6. Minuteman

That is an ongoing argument in the Christian community and one that I have engaged in many times. The revealed word of God, in my opinion of course, is infallible. But man's translation or rather transliteration of it is not. I do not agree with the infallible crowd. Anything that man has a hand in is subject to corruption and error. I believe that this, as in so many things, results from people who would rather be told what to believe than to actually take the time to study it themselves.

Just for clarification, I was a complete atheist for most of my early years. I had a very scientific and questioning mind. That has carried over into my Christian life and I do not accept anything on face value alone. Paul tells us that we should not do that, we are to have a Berean mind and search out all things to see if they are true or not. Too many today don't do that.
    It is readily apparent and undeniable that the English version, and not just the King James, which is another topic entirely, but the modern transliteration contains many human errors. Anyone who is intellectually honest will admit that.

The aforementioned commandment about "killing" is one example but there are others. One belief I hold that is quite controversial is the admission of the book of Esther into our modern Bibles.

The book of Esther is the only book in the Bible that does not mention God. It is very apparent that it's entire structure is quite different than the other books. It is the only book in our modern version that has never been found in the older texts available. The Dead Sea scrolls for instance contain no such story. And it has been used and politicised for centuries to justify the Talmudic Jews (those who were steeped in Babylonian mysticism, a completely different and abhorrent belief system than the Hebrew faith) doctrine of "Purim". Which is the wanton slaughter of those they consider unclean and unholy. The "Goyim", which essentially translates as less than human. This book is believed by many to be a later addition to holy writ.

Another example is the oft cited example of Ruth the Moabitess who was to become the Great Grandmother of King David and thus a relative of Christ. The story is used to illustrate that even then foreigners were accepted into the faith and "grafted" into the tree of Israelite heritage. The only problem is that Ruth was not a foreigner but an Israelite living in a foreign land.

The transliteraters read of this "Moabitess" and the oft quoted "Your God shall be my God. Your people shall be my people" statement made by her to her mother-in-law Naomi. The problem is that if you go back to the Isrealite conquest of the land of Moab you see that they slaughtered all of the inhabitants of that land and it became a part of the Iraelite nation. It is much the same as someone from Ohio. Ohio was named after the tribe of native American Indians who inhabited that region. They were later driven out and the land settled by white settlers. But still today we call someone from there an "Ohioan". But they are no relation to the tribe that the state is named for. Such was the case of Ruth. But the transliterators were not aware of that fact and when they read the story the assumed that she had to be of the people of Moab. The quote when read in the original Hebrew says "Your God is my God. Your people are my people." But they could not reconcile that with their flawed understanding so they transliterated it to say "will be my God, will be my people". The story makes much more sense in that light.

There are too many examples of these types of errors for anyone who is honest to claim that the King James version of scripture is the true and unaltered word of God. If it is not possible for man to err in his interpretation of holy writ then why is the warning in Revelation needed?
    "anyone who adds to this book shall have all the plaques in it added to them. Anyone who takes away from this book their name in the book of life shall be removed" paraphrased.

Sapper John and Guit_fishN like this.
  7. Minuteman

I have been searching through my bookmarks and came across this site. I had not visited there in years. Some good stuff. Relevant to our discussion here. Some might be interested.

Bible Myths

Also this site. A lot of stuff for sale here but a lot of free information also. I don't vet anything here I have just used the site to order study material.

http://www.originofnations.org/

A few more

http://www.godsaidmansaid.com/home.asp

http://stevenmcollins.com/homepage.php

http://www.truthinhistory.org/

http://www.prophecyclub.com/streaming_audio.htm

That should be enough for anyone wanting to do a little of their own study. Again I don't vet or endorse any of these sites. Just a few that I had bookmarked through the years.

tulianr likes this.
  8. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

If the question becomes is there a god, I pose a second. How did every society that has ever existed come up with religion and a god or gods with out being taught by others?

Is it a mental conditions programmed genetically, or is it gods will ?

9. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

How did most societies, geographically separated by thousands of miles, come up with the bow and arrow? How did the Egyptians and the Mayans both come up with the pyramid?

Many sects within the world's religions - Sufism in Islam, and Kabalism in Judaism, some Gnostics in Christianity, to name a few - believe that inside each individual resides a spark of God, that this spark is why all societies create a code of ethics, and why all societies develop some sort of religious institution. Maybe that "spark" is what some of us call reason; what separates us from the beasts of the field.

I think that the question of why all societies developed some form of religious belief can be answered by examining the human condition in a hunter-gatherer society. Life was hard, real hard. You didn't have science to explain weather patterns to you. Storms, floods, droughts had a good chance of killing you, and these powerful events must have come from somewhere; even the brain of early man was catching onto "cause and effect."

"Somebody must have created this storm, and it must have been a big, powerful somebody. I can't see this guy, but I sure would like to have him on my side. I wonder what I could do to convince him that I'm one of the good guys, so that maybe he'll ease up with these lightening bolts? Maybe I could prostrate myself and show him that I am no threat to him. Maybe I could offer him a gift, but what do you give someone who has everything? How about the gift being my sacrifice? Even if this animal isn't a big deal to him, he'll respect the fact that it is a big deal to me, and I'll offer it up in sacrifice."

On a more simple and personal level, why do most children invent an imaginary friend? They want someone to share their troubles, and their joys with; but this someone is beyond their parents' control. He or she doesn't have to take a bath, they don't have to pick up their room, they aren't under the same stress that small children feel. Toddlers are under a great deal of stress, because they aren't in control of very much of their day to day lives. Parents exert almost God-like influence on their lives. An imaginary friend gives them an outlet; someone to talk to when life is getting them down.

I think that the stress that early societies were under, fighting for their very survival, created the concept of God. These people needed hope, they needed to believe that on some level they could control forces that were otherwise out of their control. Similar to a lot of soldiers "finding religion" in the foxholes. You put somebody underneath enough stress, and they start to squirm, and look for a way out. They look for a way to survive the unsurvivable. They often look to "God" whoever, or whatever, he may represent to them.

I myself am in total awe of the power and driving force that created the universe, the earth, and every living plant and animal on this world of ours. I don't know what to call that force; some call it by the name of one god or another, some separate this force into several gods, and some call this force "Mother Nature." Whatever it is called, whatever its nature is, and whatever its intentions were, the product of its works is awe inspiring. I suspect that early man felt some of that sense of awe as well. You gotta tip your hat, or bow your head, to the clockmaker.

10. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Part of the answer might be that we don't wonder about much anymore.

When is the last time you spent looking up at the stars at night...or just looked up in general? I used to do this a lot when I was smarter. Now I don't...I'm too tired or busy (self-absorbed?)

Back in the day of Moses, Abraham....Seth, there wasn't much knowledge ... and no books. So, how did pre-historical societies explain things? I guess there are three ways:

1. through divine intervention, relevant knowledge was revealed
    2. experimentation / trial-error
    3. they made $h!t up
    I'm guessing D: all of the above

So, when you have disasters like a volcano, earthquake, or bad storm, without knowledge of weather, how do you explain something like that? You can't explain the moon at night...it's there sometimes....sometimes it's gone....why?

To add to your question: why does every society come up with monsters? Does this lend support to the idea that boogey-men exist.

The human mind....excellent at making stuff up.

tulianr, chelloveck and ghrit like this.
  11. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

1-2-3-D? You count funny...

:D

I can resist many things...temptation is not one of them...

12. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

It's just an expression. Letters...numbers, doesn't matter. "D - All of the above" is just a way to say everything.

Urban Dictionary: D. all of the above

But, I appreciate your eye for details. ;)

13. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Thanks Ghrit. I consider all in here my friends, I realize with all relaitionships its can at times be necessary to step back. I love debt and conversations even on touchy subjects, however not at the expense of me and every one else looking bad. Sometimes its eaiser to agree to diaagree than to spoil our online friendships.

The answer to my question is a life long quest to find out if theres no God where do morals come from?

So to explain, I believe that the Earth with Humans is a divine plan from a divine creator. Simply put someone greator than us.

The alternartive is the the world was a accident, and somehow humans evolved from, well who knows. Darwins theory is survival of the fittest, witch initself has no morals. So if you believe in survival of the fittest where do your moral standerds come from?

Special thanks to jim2 for support.

BTPost and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  14. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Larry, with full respect for your beliefs, my question is this: different cultures adhere to different moral codes - if morals were endowed in us by God, how do you account for the differences? Did God alter moral codes for difference creatures in his realm?

As an aside, I once attended a ceremony of worship to the Black Christ in Central America and the similarities to religious rites more familiar to me were startling but I believed it was due to the influence of the teachings of the early missionaries. I don't know if that is true or not, just my thoughts.

chelloveck and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  15. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I believe this...in a way. I think there's some thing greater that we don't understand...a higher power--I have faith in that. I don't think it's a person though. This is very similar to weak agnosticism.

Infanticide was a morally acceptable way of "disposing of" deformed or unwanted children since recorded history. Isn't this a form of survival of the fittest?

Human sacrifice...practiced in many ancient cultures. Mayans and Aztecs were quite brutal. I don't think anyone would consider them "moral" today. Gladiators were basically sacrificed for the pleasure of the masses. Definitely not "moral" by today's standards. All of this existed while the people worshiped deities in some fashion. So here, I could make the argument that religions do not have common mala in se crimes or taboos. Put another way, if God divinely worked through humans to establish moral behavior, you would expect all religions to have a common basic rulebook to define what is moral.

Speaking of evolution: the evolution of stars says that the sun will become a red giant in about 5 billion years. Yes, this is a very long time, but, if humans don't manage to blow ourselves up first and made it that long, it would all be for nothing. All species will become extinct at that time. Personally, I don't think humans will last that long (unless we conquer space travel), but in a few blinks of the solar eye, our planet may not even be here and if it is, it will be lifeless. Real buzz-kill huh.

tulianr likes this.
  16. Mechwolf

Mechwolf Monkey+

For me I don't believe morals are defined by religion. My personal belief is that since religion is man made it inherently is flawed. I have had my faith hit rock bottom many times before but I always seem to start praying to a higher power again. That is faith. You can be a man of faith and not be a man of religion. My morals were defined by my family and friends. As I have gotten older my morals have been more defined by my own feelings. I pose a simple question "Is it more immoral to tell a lie and not hurt someone or is it more immoral to tell the truth and hurt someone." Morality can be a double edged sword, a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation.

Guit_fishN and tulianr like this.
  17. RightHand

One of my guiding tenets - do no harm.

BTPost, tulianr and mysterymet like this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I would ADD, "Unless Harm is Due"......

tulianr, larryinalabama and ghrit like this.
  19. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Even more interesting to me is that without any contact whatsoever peoples all around the world developed religions that all share with slight differences the same core stories. My answer to this has always been and will always remain that religion is cultural and ancestral in nature. There isn't a right or a wrong, rather ancient peoples around the world all witnessed certain events and interpreted them in manners that made sense to them in the culture in which they lived.

20. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Different cultures have in the past offered human sacrifices to the sun. Thankfully they no longer exists. Thatas just a small example of the crap that has and often contuniues. Its has nothing to do with whats Morality, and if your cool with human sacrifices being moral than this conversation is useless.

Thank God for Missionarys

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7