more box o' truth( sand barricade)

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tango3, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I've seen alot of the box o truth stuff. but this was particularly interesting; penetration on 6" of sand between two pieces of sheet rock. Amazing protection for minimum dimensions. Nothing,9mm, .45,12gaslug ,308,45-70 9mm,penetrated to the next box.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot7_4.htm

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

very interesting, so build your home with an exterior of 2x6 walls, then fill them with sand instead of insulation :lol:

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Just good stuff to know...

4. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

From a construction engineering aspect. Drywall may be able to hold the weight of sand to a certian height in the wall itself, but it will not be able to hold the weight if the wall is loaded from the floor to the ceiling without some type of major reinforcemnts in the the dry wall itself. a better idea would be to fill sandbags with sand and then place them in the space between the studs and then solidly anchoring them to the studs itself.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

:lol: RC, you are thinking too hard -- (But you are right.) [coffee2]

6. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I wouldn't build my house on shifting sand. You would have to use concrete durarock for walls to hold the weight. That would be even more resistant. It would make a good back stop for a range or a good test pit. I just imagined sand coming out of your outlets, HaHa.

7. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

well it would be pretty durn EMP resistant. not to mention fairly sound proof.

Take care Be safe Poacher.

8. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Thought maybe a few strategically placed interior walls(only you know about) filled to waist level would be an application..never can tell when some cover would help against raiding mzb's and sand bag emplacements really clash with the couch.

9. toemag

toemag Monkey++

PML., not wanting to escalate things any further, if you want to build that type of of wall on your house, I'd use brick's and mortar with a 6" cavity between the wall's and fill that with sand[troll].

Just gives me reason to hope that you remember to have fire extinguishers on hand and not only firearms. Fire extinguishers make really handy close quarter weapons[taser1] especially the Co² ones, extinguish the facial rage and then use the empty extinguisher to do extensive re-structuring of the skull:shock:.

Tony.

10. TNZ71

TNZ71 PEACE THRU FIREPOWER

I saw a range being constructed and it had metal barriers between the firing lane filled with an inch of pea-gravel. I thought about making similar, paint like shutters and afix to windows on track. Principle looks good, anyone have experience with similar?

11. andy

andy Monkey+++

i like T3's and Toe's suggeston and i have all so thought about mounting sheet metal some how against the indoor side of the wall, behind/covered with bead(i think that is what its called) board topped with a chair rail only you would know it's there and most exsamples of bead board and chair rail i have seen would be high enough, might be to costly though if you only applied this to certin walls it could work or add to a layer of sand, well it's just a thought... but i cant help but imagining my walls being turned into swiss cheese and then the sand leaking out like a siv... [peep] oh random question would this wall-o-sand break up heat signatures? ok thats my 0.02

sorry if it's vague hard to understand or if myspelling is worse than normal haven't had my caffein yet... [cof]

12. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

While it would create 'chinks in the armor' you could also run boards across between the studs every few feet up the wall to make it so the drywall (or plywood with drywall mud surface) would hold it for the full height. I have thought that this would be cool to do not only for the bullet proofing factor but also the insulation factor is HUGE, you could hold a tourch to one side of a couple inches of sand and it would take a few hours to work enough heat through to melt ice on the other side. Then too I think 'storm shutters' for the windows made of 1/2-3/4" plate steel would be a cool thing to make sure the house is just the way you left it when you get home from vacation...

13. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

14. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

So, if 5 1/2 to 6 inches of sand is good.....
    I'd go with 2 x 12's, and rather have the 11 1/2 inches for a barrier.
    But the weight would be a real bear to deal with!
    (assuming) good word, but has some really bad connotations to it today....
    You'd only need a 6 ft (+/- ) overall height for protection.
    Now I wonder about the "stud spacing".
    I'd figure you'd want to stay with the standard of 16" center to center, but will it be strong enough?
    Needs some figuring on cubic foot and weight.....
    I'd really like to know, as I plan on moving 3-4 mobile homes, AKA: (aluminum cans), up to my land/site, and it is evident I'd need something to stop "errant" rounds from penetrating.
    There's a lot of hunters up there, and I am smack dab in the middle of a piece of land covered fairly densely with 10-12 ft high junipers.
    ( it would be very hard to see there are homes in the area)
    And, it is a place, safe haven, where a lot of the "hunted" go, to avoid the hunters.
    Not all hunters are so worried about where their shots go when hunting, they seem to get "tunnel vision", and that is a bad thing, especially for me!

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You can use 100 lbs per cubic foot for sand. In a six foot wall (call it a foot thick) that looks like 600 pounds per running foot of wall plus wood. Your mobile units ain't gonna be.

In your hypothetical 16" cell between studs, the walls will have to restrain 2500 pounds of static horizontal loading (in very crude terms) which likely will require thru bolts to hold, especially at the bottoms.

Next time you get near a construction site, have a look at the concrete forms, especially any that are stick built. Concrete loads during placement are about the same as sand will be for the life of the wall.

16. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Hmm thought I'd seen this "solution" to mobile home raider zombie delinquents before...:)
    There's gold in them there archives; what?

17. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Maybe, seeing as how the load rato is a tad bit more than I expected, it would be better to use dirt 'berming' close to the walls? (anyway to determine the expected base width?)
    Figure on leaving a walkway of about 4 ft width, and place a dirt berm at about 6 ft height around the mobiles with a mixture of dirt and rock.
    Planting some deep rooting types of plants, would prevent soil erosion as well?
    It certainly would be cheaper, but, there are drawbacks to it as well, (ain't it always the way?), a Lack of visibility and air circulation would present some problems....

18. mrrk1562

mrrk1562 Monkey+++

how about just building a poured concrete wall .or grout filled block wall that would be a simple thing to do .. for the trailers id berm up some dirt like you said ..

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7