More LEOs behaving badly

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by CATO, May 14, 2012.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Oh,boy...

Police arrested 18 people as thousands of protesters blocked Interstate-94 in St. Paul, Minnesota, Friday, following a jury's verdict that found former St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez not guilty in the 2016 shooting of motorist Philando Castile.

Note the verdict, not so much the idiots blocking a damn interstate highway. Stupid people are stupid.

Watch the video of the cop shooting the man in the car after being pulled over and asked for I.D. - The man clearly says he has a weapon and needs to reach to get his I.D., but he reached anyway, and before he even pulled the weapon out he was shot repeatedly and the cop freaked out screaming.

Dunerunner likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am sure many of the Monkeys have seen the reports on this Case. but this is the BEST Report I have come across so far....
    As far as I am concerned this Yahoo, should be FIRED, Tried for Assault, and Sued Personally for violating the Nurses Civil Rights, to begin with... The She needs to take the City, Police Chief, Supervisory Officer who was on the Phone with the Cop, the Cop, and ANY other Cop that was Present, and who laid Hands on the Nurse, into Federal District Court, and collect a cool 10 Million Bucks for her Pain & suffering... The Police Chief, Supervisory Officer, Yahoo Cop, and any Officer, present, who laid hands on Had better apologize, IN PERSON, to her, the Staff in that Unit, and to the whole Staff of the Hospital.... AlaskaChick agrees, as does my Youngest ,who also is a Practicing RN, as does my Niece who used to work at the UofU Hospital as an RN... This is just outrageous... and in DIRECT violation of SCOTUS Precedent set in July 2016, which was decided 7-1.... Opinion written by Justice Sam Alito held, ALL Blood Draws done by, or for, the Government , are REQUIRED to have Probable Cause, AND a Valid Warrant, PERIOD....

'This is crazy,' sobs Utah hospital nurse as cop roughs her up, arrests her for doing her job

By all accounts, the head nurse at the University of Utah Hospital's burn unit was professional and restrained when she told a Salt Lake City police detective he wasn't allowed to draw blood from a badly injured patient.

The detective didn't have a warrant, first off. And the patient wasn't conscious, so he couldn't give consent. Without that, the detective was barred from collecting blood samples - not just by hospital policy, but by basic constitutional law.

Still, Detective Jeff Payne insisted that he be let in to take the blood, saying the nurse would be arrested and charged if she refused.

Nurse Alex Wubbels politely stood her ground. She got her supervisor on the phone so Payne could hear the decision loud and clear. "Sir," said the supervisor, "you're making a huge mistake because you're threatening a nurse."

Payne snapped. He seized hold of the nurse, shoved her out of the building and cuffed her hands behind her back. A bewildered Wubbels screamed "help me" and "you're assaulting me" as the detective forced her into an unmarked car and accused her of interfering with an investigation.

The explosive July 26 afternoon encounter was captured on officers' body cameras and is now the subject of an internal investigation by the police department, as the Salt Lake City Tribune reported Thursday. The videos were released by the Tribune, the Deseret News and other local media.

On top of that, Wubbels was right. The U.S. Supreme Court has explicitly ruled that blood can only be drawn from drivers for probable cause, with a warrant.

Wubbels, who was not criminally charged, played the footage at a news conference Thursday with her attorney. They called on police to rethink their treatment of hospital workers and said they had not ruled out legal action.

Salt Lake police spokesman Sgt. Brandon Shearer told local media that Payne had been suspended from the department's blood draw unit but remained on active duty. Shearer said Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown had seen the video and called it "very alarming," according to the Deseret News.

It all started when a suspect speeding away from police in a pickup truck on a local highway smashed head-on into a truck driver, as local media reported. Medics sedated the truck driver, who was severely burned, and took him to the University of Utah Hospital. He arrived in a comatose state, according to the Deseret News. The suspect died in the crash.

A neighboring police department sent Payne, a trained police phlebotomist, to collect blood from the patient and check for illicit substances, as the Tribune reported. The goal was reportedly to protect the trucker, who was not suspected of a crime. His lieutenant ordered him to arrest Wubbels if she refused to let him draw a sample, according to the Tribune.

A 19-minute video from the body camera of a fellow officer shows the bitter argument that unfolded on the floor of the hospital's burn unit.

A group of hospital officials, security guards and nurses are seen pacing nervously in the ward. Payne can be seen standing in a doorway, arms folded over his black polo shirt, waiting as hospital officials talk on the phone.

"So why don't we just write a search warrant," the officer wearing the body camera says to Payne.

"They don't have PC," Payne responds, using the abbreviation for probable cause, which police must have to get a warrant for search and seizure. He adds that he plans to arrest the nurse if she doesn't allow him to draw blood. "I've never gone this far," he says.

After several minutes, Wubbels shows Payne and the other officer a printout of the hospital's policy on obtaining blood samples from patients. With her supervisor on speakerphone, she calmly tells them they can't proceed unless they have a warrant or patient consent, or if the patient is under arrest.

"The patient can't consent, he's told me repeatedly that he doesn't have a warrant, and the patient is not under arrest," she says. "So I'm just trying to do what I'm supposed to do, that's all."

"So I take it without those in place, I'm not going to get blood," Payne says.

Wubbels's supervisor chimes in on the speakerphone. "Why are you blaming the messenger," he asks Payne.

"She's the one that has told me no," the officer responds.

"Sir, you're making a huge mistake because you're threatening a nurse," Wubbels's supervisor says over the phone.

At that point, Payne seems to lose it.

He paces toward the nurse and tries to swat the phone out of her hand. "We're done here," he yells. He grabs Wubbels by the arms and shoves her through the automatic doors outside the building.

Wubbels screams. "Help! Help me! Stop! You're assaulting me! Stop! I've done nothing wrong! This is crazy!"

Payne presses her into a wall, pulls her arms behind her back and handcuffs her. Two hospital officials tell him to stop, that she's doing her job, but he ignores them.

"I can't believe this! What is happening?" Wubbels says through tears as the detective straps her into the front seat of his car.

Another officer arrives and tells her she should have allowed Payne to collect the samples he asked for. He says she obstructed justice and prevented Payne from doing his job.

"I'm also obligated to my patients," she tells the officer. "It's not up to me."

In Thursday's news conference, Wubbels's attorney Karra Porter said that Payne believed he was authorized to collect the blood under "implied consent," according to the Tribune. But Porter said "implied consent" law changed in Utah a decade ago. And in 2016, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that warrantless blood tests were illegal. Porter called Wubbels's arrest unlawful.

"The law is well-established. And it's not what we were hearing in the video," she said. "I don't know what was driving this situation."

Wubbels has worked as a nurse at the hospital since 2009, according to the Tribune. She was previously an Alpine skier who competed under her maiden name in the 1998 and 2002 Winter Olympics.

As a health-care worker, she said it was her job to keep her patients safe.

"A blood draw, it just gets thrown around like it's some simple thing," she said, according to the Deseret News. "But your blood is your blood. That's your property."

For now, Wubbels is not taking any legal action against police. But she's not ruling it out.

"I want to see people do the right thing first and I want to see this be a civil discourse," she said Thursday, according to the Deseret News. "If that's not something that's going to happen and there is refusal to acknowledge the need for growth and the need for re-education, then we will likely be forced to take that type of step. But people need to know that this is out there."

3cyl, Witch Doctor 01, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

First, unpaid anger management classes for Payne, preferably behind bars.
    Second, compensation and damages for Wubbles.
    Third, an intensive course on law for the entire rank and file (I think management has a clue.) AND some direction on how the rest of the rank and file should intervene when one of their own goes off the rails.

4. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Just can't contemplate how those that want others to be their intervention tools can degrade the tools required to intervene during thier time of need! If Y'all are strong enough to handle to worst of modern society by your own-self, than there wouldn't be a need for any LEO's. But since Y'all won't or can't do what needs to be done, I think it's great that you can second guess those that want nothing more than to make it HOME to thier families after controlling the worst that your modern society has sprouted. JMO, nothing Humble about it.

5. BTPost

and your Point being... What does your comment have to do with the original Post?

Legion489 and M118LR like this.
  6. M118LR

Who is determining that LEO's are behaving badly?

Those that have not spent a day in another's shoes are casting judgement?

Once again the sheep are questioning the sheepdogs role in thier reality!

As a wolf, I recommend that the sheep keep hobbling the sheepdogs.

Once the sheep fire all the sheepdogs, the flock shall learn the Laws of the Pack.

The weak bleat thier concerns to those protecting them with open ears, the wild destroy the strong due to their concerns for the bleating of the weak they protect.

Once again, who is determining that LEO's are behaving badly?????????????

7. ghrit

Case extant, his superiors. He violated the law, of which ignorance is no excuse. I personally do not need his lack of control.

Many other cases are decided on insufficient evidence and rumors by out of control media. Your call is as good as any.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

The LAW determines who is behaving badly, If a person is a LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, he doesnt get to violate the law or violate the rights of the nurse to stand up for the law and peacably remind him he is not above it.

I would be interested @M118LR to know why you think the LEO did NOT violate the law here?

And sheep dog or no, you still train the sheep dog to obey commands, and in this case the sheep said baaa, obey the law and the sheep dog thought he was above the law. Not a good scenario.

As citizens, sheep or no, we do get to say no when an LEO is violating constitutional law. Just because you chose to be a sheep dog doesn't make you any more special than someone who is rich that thinks they are special. NO ONE makes you be a sheep dog. (sorry i could not let that analogy alone)

ghrit, Yard Dart, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  9. BTPost

In the post #543, are you disputing that the LEO was acting ILLEGALY? He was in DIRECT Violation of a SCOTUS Precedent... That was DIRECTLY on point... as was His Direct Supervisor who told him to make the Arrest... These two, were certainly Behaving BADLY, and UnConstitutioaly, as well as Violating their Oath of Office... It is beyond dispute... Sanctions are certainly in order, and if it was my wife, I would be talking to the nastiest LawDawg I could find, and haul these two, along with the City, Department, Police Chief, and every Officer who laid a hand on my wife, into Federal District Court, for Violating her Civil Rights... How can there be ANY Justification, for NOT Knowing the LAW of the Land, that is Directly on Point...

3cyl, ghrit, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  10. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Well when you give deranged and violent armed wolves control over deliberately unarmed sheeple, to enforce the law, it might be a good idea if the armed thugs have a clue what the law IS, and don't just make it up as they go along. Always glad to post a few more of the armed thugs making it up as they go along if needed.

I fail to see how that nurse, who was upholding the law, would, or should be called
    . So I take it that your view is that any one who knows the law, defends the law, and objects to said law being violated by criminals is "the worst that your modern society has sprouted." I find that both offensive and disgusting in the extreme, but respect your right to say things that any normal thinking person would find repugnant, possibly even lib-tards would find it so as well. Or not, depending if they went to Berkley or elsewhere.

The next time you go to court, try claiming you have no knowledge of, nor respect for, the rule of law and see where that gets you. Or claim it was "your reality" to ignore and violate the law. That should go over well too.

44044, 3cyl and Motomom34 like this.
  11. M118LR

Isn't interfering with an LEO during the course of the duty violating the "LAW"? Yup, she got arrested. The time to debate points of Law is in the courtroom, not during the commission of an LEO to his/her assigned duty.

12. ghrit

\
    So you would have her violate the law and her oaths rather than let that asshole violate the law? C'mon. That particular LEO was way off base. And you'll note it is NOT going to court for debate unless she sues. (Hope she does, one dollar and costs, to see that hammerhead demoted and/or dismissed.

13. M118LR

It was only her responsibility to inform the Officer of her Oath and interpretation of the "LAW". It was the Officers call as to how to proceed in light of her information. The LT directed the Officer to arrest her if she continued to interfere with the duties that the Officer had been directed to perform. But to take this to a higher level, did Y'all agree when the POTUS directed a Temporary Travel Ban on folks from places that wanted to do US harm, and yet the Judicial System disavowed it's implementation. It's the LAW!

14. BTPost

WRONG @M118LR It was the DUTY of the LEO, AND his Supervisor, to know the LAW of the LAND, On Point, which IS a SCOTUS Precedent, Written by Justice Alito, and set on July 2016 by a 7-1 Vote, that ANY Blood Draw, by or for the Government, REQUIRES, both Probable Cause, AND a Valid Search Warrant, or Consent... PERIOD.... The LEO stated in the Audio, that they had neither PC, or a Warrant, but he still insisted that he had the RIGHT, and Duty, to collect the Blood Sample... which he did NOT... He was clearly trying to preform an UnConstitutional Act, and by arresting the Nurse, who was standing in his way, and standing up for her Paticents Constitutional and Civil Rights, he violated his Oath of Office, to uphold the Constituion of the United States... Also NOTE, that Utah REPEALED their Implied Consent Statute back in 2007, so he wasn't even on legal Ground, as far a State Statutes go... There is absolutely NO EXCUSE, for this LEO to NOT KNOW, the LAW of the LAND, on Point, in this instance, because his JOB, was to Collect Blood Samples for Law Enforcement, in accordance with that LAW of the LAND... He can't even substantiate the "Claim" that he was following an Order, from his Supervisor, simply because such an Order, Violates the Constitution of the United States of America... That issue was settled at Nurembug Germany, in 1945..,

44044, Mountainman, 3cyl and 4 others like this.
  15. ghrit

That is a completely different question than the stupid cop thread. Start another thread if you want to tread that path.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    M118LR likes this.
  16. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

In this case there is an issue between a legal question and an oath/ policy... if the LEO had law behind him would the nurse be interfering because of a policy/ oath that is not a legal precedent? .. In this case the LEO was wrong but requiring him to know all supreme court decisions is next to impossible for lawyers ... They have law library's and a paralegal research assistant to help them... The poor cop had none of these... LEO's need to have a reasonable knowledge of laws and most use a backup to double check on laws.. however a Phlebotomist may or may not have the same training... I don't know in this case as I don't have the data to make a decision with... In some ways there is a parallel between medical personnel needing to know all of the latest procedures and pharmacology with out checking a PDR... If the phlebotomist had been working longer than 10 years it could be a training problem or a mistake by an LEO that wasn't handled appropriately...

It's an interesting discussion but not something to divide the tribe over...

YMMV

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  17. BTPost

@Witch Doctor 01. I suspect what happened here is the SaltLake City Police Department was dealing with a lack of Current LAW updates to it's procedures... My son is a Senior Paramedic with the Contracted EMS Service, there, and he knows both the LEO, and the Nurse... and deals with them every shift... Even though the State of Utah REPEALED their "Implied Consent Statute" in 2007, when I talked to him on Friday, he was NOT aware of that fact, and was operating as if it was still the State Law... He also wasn't aware of the SCOTUS Precedent that was, at the time of the incident, a YEAR OLD... He also stated that the Mayor of SaltLake City is an "Idiot" that has instructed her Police Cheif to cut Staff in High Crime areas, to the point that the County Sheriff, and State Police are doing the Policing, and billing the City for the service.. The whole thing is a GIANT MESS... The Firemen and EMS Folks told the City, "No Cops, No Fire or EMS... We are not going in there, without protection, PERIOD" And purely Political posturing and Total BS... THREE Police Chiefs in as many Years... That should tell us ALL, something... In a Press Conference, the Mayor & Chief stated that they were looking at "Reviewing, and Updating their Proceedures & Policies" on the Blood Draw Program... which tells me that they haven't been looked at for over a decade... and are NOT up to date... Where the Hospitals Policies & Protocols were UP TO DATE... As. We All Know, "Ignorance of the Law, is NOT a Defense" for ANYTHING, Period. And U of U Hospital IS the Trama Center for the whole Utah State, and surrounding areas... The Chief is trying very hard, to extricate his Department from conflict with the Hospital, because he knows if his folks need Medical, that is where they will be taken, and the last Folks you want Pi$$ed off at you, are the Nurses in your Hospital... I am afraid the LEO in Question will lose his job, and likely never get a job in LE, again, and I suspect the Supervisor, at the least will get demoted, if not Fired..

18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Obviously, you have no LEO training and a limited understanding of the laws they are to enforce. Nobody is above the rule of law, regardless of their duty.... you should at least know that under the UCMJ. ;)

3cyl, BTPost, ghrit and 1 other person like this.
  19. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Well if YOU go into court and argue that, you will lose. So what if it is "impossible for lawyers"? The LAW/COURTS don't care! Break the law, go to prison! What is good for us little sheeple is good for the wolves and criminals!

44044 and 3cyl like this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Since when is it necessary for a nurse to school "Sargent Swollen Nuts'' on the law, She told him No, His nuts got swollen.

oldawg likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7