More LEOs behaving badly

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by CATO, May 14, 2012.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

2. sgt peppersass

sgt peppersass Monkey+

10 mil law suit. hope he wins, thats the only way they will get the point

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Monkey++

If only the taxpayers were not the ones that end up paying.

Guit_fishN likes this.
  5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

6. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

NYPD Kill Unarmed Bodega Worker

An NYPD officer allegedly shot and killed an unarmed bodega worker in the Bronx this morning, mistaking him for a robber. Police will confirm only that a 20-year-old Hispanic man was killed, but witnesses tell the New York Daily News and NBC 4 that they called police when they saw masked gunmen robbing the bodega. When police arrived, the gunmen ran out the back, while the store's owner and his nephew, Reynaldo Cuevas, ran out the front. The owner had his hands up, but Cuevas didn't. "And he tripped or something and when he fell on the floor, they shot him," says witness Jose Garcia. Garcia, who is also Cuevas' cousin, says police never ordered him to freeze or put his hands up. "They didn't say nothing. They just shot him," and then "dragged him away from the store. There was blood everywhere." A police source confirms Cuevas was shot by an officer.

http://www.newser.com/story/153641/...digest&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20120908

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/store-employee-shot-bronx-article-1.1154084

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

At least they actually "HIT" the Target, this time.... Last time, they shot up a bunch of bystander citizens.... apparently their collective aim is improving.... Maybe....

8. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

9. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

This kind of thing doesn't seem to be surprising anymore. That family can be thankful that they didn't have a dog...because they would be burying it right now.

http://reason.com/blog/2012/09/19/illinois-cops-give-family-ten-minutes-be

(Maybe this incident can give VisuTrac some ideas......send the Father-out-law some medical mary-jane, then call the DEA on him.....he'll be taken care of....have a bed, meals, TV, not have to do anything......just like now, but out of VT's basement.)

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I hope these folks, find the Nastiest Shyster Lawyer, in that State, to take on their Civil Case, and pursue it against each Officer, Individually, each Supervisor who signed off on the Raid, individually, the CopShop as a whole, and the Officer who swore out the Affidavit, REQUIRED for the Warrant. Sue with a JURY Trial, and for Treble Damages for Trauma, Pain & Suffering. Hit them in their PERSONAL Pocketbooks, and their collective CopShops Liability Insurance PocketBook.... One win, will put and end to this kind of BS.....

tulianr likes this.
  11. We have one in Indy that slammed a few drinks, got behind the wheel, turned on the lights and sirens, then proceeded to run down some bikers stopped for a red light. They finally allowed the vials of his blood to be used as evidence.

12. tulianr

Houston officer kills double amputee in wheelchair

Sep 22, 11:40 PM (ET)
    By The Associated Press
    HOUSTON (AP) - A Houston police officer shot and killed a one-armed, one-legged man in a wheelchair Saturday inside a group home after police say the double amputee threatened the officer and aggressively waved a metal object that turned out to be a pen.
    Police spokeswoman Jodi Silva said the man cornered the officer in his wheelchair and was making threats while trying to stab the officer with the pen. At the time, the officer did not know what the metal object was that the man was waving, Silva said.
    She said the man came "within inches to a foot" of the officer and did not follow instructions to calm down and remain still.
    "Fearing for his partner's safety and his own safety, he discharged his weapon," Silva told The Associated Press.
    Police did not immediately release the name of the man who was killed. They had been called to the home after a caretaker there called and reported that the man in wheelchair was causing a disturbance.
    The owner of the group home, John Garcia, told the Houston Chronicle that the man had a history of mental illness and had been living at the house about 18 months. Garcia said the man had told him that he lost a leg above the knee and all of one arm when he was hit by a train.
    "He sometimes would go off a bit, but you just ignore it," Garcia told the newspaper.
    Silva identified the officer as Matthew Jacob Marin, a five-year veteran of the department. He was immediately placed on three-day administrative leave, which is standard in all shootings involving officers.
    Houston police records indicate that Marin also fatally shot a suspect in 2009. Investigators at the time said Marin came upon a man stabbing his neighbor to death at an apartment complex and opened fired when the suspect refused to drop the knife.
    On Saturday, Marin and his partner arrived at the group home around 2:30 a.m. Silva said there were several people at the house at the time. The caretaker who called police waited on the porch while the officers went inside, she said.
    "It was close quarters in the area of the house," Silva said. "The officer was forced into an area where he had no way to get out."

13. Mechwolf

Mechwolf Monkey+

I'm sorry but if you cannot use your eyes to see you are being threatened with a pen you need to be on disability for being blind. Police officers are being allowed to not use common sense in a lot of these situations. When that happens they either need to be fired or brought up on criminal charges.

BTPost likes this.
  14. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

The process should be investigated, brought up on criminal charges, fired and then convicted in court like all of us would have been!

15. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I don't see the "LEO's Behaving Badly" here. The guy came at the officer with something metal in his hand. I guess you haven't seen the horrific pictures of knife wounds that officers have received by even small blades. And the officer had recently faced a knife wielding assailant. I don't care if the guy was in a wheel chair and had the thing in his mouth, if he's coming at you and won't stop it's self defense.

"It was close quarters in the area of the house," Silva said. "The officer was forced into an area where he had no way to get out."

At the time, the officer did not know what the metal object was that the man was waving, Silva said.
    She said the man came "within inches to a foot" of the officer and did not follow instructions to calm down and remain still.
    "Fearing for his partner's safety and his own safety, he discharged his weapon,"

Houston police records indicate that Marin also fatally shot a suspect in 2009. Investigators at the time said Marin came upon a man stabbing his neighbor to death at an apartment complex and opened fired when the suspect refused to drop the knife.

There are enough clear cut cases of LEO's overstepping and abusing their authority and "behaving badly", this aint one of them.

Just as I am against second guessing citizens who use deadly force to protect themselves, ie; George Zimmerman, Jerome Ersland, I am against second guessing an officers same reaction.

16. The most disgusting ones I hear on the news are where cops are arrested for sex crimes, both against other adults and against kids. This isn't a LEO case, but another incident like that is that John Walsh was in his early 20's, 23 I think it was, and was doing a 16 year old girl he'd supposedly picked up in a bar. Granted he did marry the girl later and I think it's tragic about his son Adam, but had that been in Indiana he'd have been doing time, likely never would have married the girl, the boy would never have been born, so no crime could have been committed against the child.

In all cases, it should be a matter of better scrutiny before we put guns, or even television cameras, in the hands of anyone and involve them in fighting crime.

17. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Dr Charbonneau

This thread is about specific abuses of law enforcement personnel. Since you're new, try going to the 1st thread and reading through them all. That should give you a good idea of what the theme is.

If you want to discuss another subject, start a new thread.

18. I had noticed quite a few other additional examples. Had no intention of hijacking the thread at all. As for George Zimmerman, I'm not certain what to think except something seems fishy because it apears he fabricated too much in the process.

Other than that, I'll just bow out. I didn't realize this was exclusive of incidents beyond the OP example given.

Have fun... :)

19. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Dr Charbonneau

Not my intent for you to "bow out." The thread is about specific examples...especially those that could affect any of us. It's a "be aware; this could happen to you" type of thing.

20. tulianr

I don't know for a fact whether the LEO was actually forced into a self defense situation or not. I would love to see a video of it, and see his perspective. Something I don't get though - If a one armed man in a wheel chair is waving something at you, how does he maneuver the wheelchair to force you into an area from which you cannot get out; and if he is operating his wheel chair, how can he be waving something at you? As I said, I'd love to see a video.

Mountainman likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7