More online survival reading

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by melbo, Jan 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think that's a great idea except......most of us don't have any desire to have our names and address available to others. I know that may sound paranoid but with the exception of a few people, I try to be as discrete as possible.

2. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Oopsie.... I was replying to the private message and missed replies here.
    --
    I'm going to exchange with him and then I'm going to have my son burn off a few copies for a handful of personal friends that would treasure the files. After that..... my thoughts were to use that contact us button and send the missing PDFs to melbo one by one so everyone could have them if they wanted since he knows a way to add them like folk add photos.
    --
    Almost every file that Scribd scrubbed can be found online if we do an advanced yahoo search and look for options over to the right of the search box then you get a drop down and click advanced options then look down a little bit and there's a place where you can pick a file format. Pick pdf and voila.... you get a whole list and just ignore the Scribd links because if they have them.... they're only like the 1st 3 pages of a book and the rest of the pages have been erased.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

As an alternative (quite possibly better in that melbo's inbox would not clutter up too badly) would simply be to put them up in your SM blog. That way, as time becomes available, staff could add them to the reading room or other appropriate spot on site.

4. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I tried to highlight some I'd found to add them to posts by cutting and pasting them back in already but.... they're too big I think. Soooo... I started giving the direct links I found starting in post 11 and added a few more as I came across them so others could get them. There are very few Scribd pdfs that can't be found at a different website for free download if we use that advanced search option and.... even the ***poofed*** PDFs can be had for "free" download at this site, www.pdfdatabase.com. I'm just too chicken to register to get at the handful of missing files.

5. tc556guy

tc556guy Monkey+++

I understand peoples privacy concerns. My idea of the external was in response to Equilibriums internet limits. We'll see if he wants anything beyond what I'm able to send him today.

6. Bobb

Bobb On Hiatus Banned

7. Bobb

Bobb On Hiatus Banned

8. Bobb

Bobb On Hiatus Banned

9. Bobb

Bobb On Hiatus Banned

10. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Ohhh... you've found links. That's great. Maybe somebody will convert your links to PDFs like they do to some of my links so they're easy to get to.

11. Bobb

Bobb On Hiatus Banned

you dont need to convert the links.just download from them.they are all pdf's.

12. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I clicked my brains out every which way but loose and couldn't get it to work but thank you so much for trying to help me.... the problem's on this end I'm pretty sure. We all share one computer and had it "doctored" so the kids wouldn't crash it and now that they're all older.... I think it's "too safe".
    --
    I found another list of freebies for folk that don't have hobbled computers-
    Ultimate Collection of Survival-Wilderness Books PDF Torrent - btjunkie
    I have no clue what a torrent is but.... that list offers two free PDFs for two books I bought that I really got a lot out of, SAS Survival Guide and Klein's 200 SuperFoods That Will Save Your Life. I spotted a few other goodies on that list that I've not seen available elsewhere that others who do torrent might be able to get to. The 125 Jerky Recipes and Natural Chicken Feed looked good. There's also a Wilderness Survival for Dummies. If somebody can get in.... I can't.... I'd love to have the Natural Chicken Feed one.

13. Bobb

Bobb On Hiatus Banned

if allowed, i could upload the books directly

14. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I dunno.... some of those books are copyright protected and still in publication and I totally don't know how they ended up on those lists available for free download anyway... like that SAS book>>>>>? Interestingly enough.... I've printed off whole website pages and chapters from books and used other people's photos and been approved to use them in non-commercial settings because of wiggle room for non-profit and educational use. I don't fully understand the guidelines so I just run what ever I'm going to use by folk who know more about this than me. If they say no.... I find something else to plug in for a community workshop. I think it must be ok to link though. I am pretty much always permitted to offer handouts with links to info.
    --
    I was just sent the Formula Manual so I'm good to go on that one for myself personally.

15. tc556guy

tc556guy Monkey+++

EQ

Did you get the format issue with what I sent you resolved?
    if not, I can re-send.
    Also, what are the more recent documents you wanted? List them along with that chicken text and I'll look in my stuff.

16. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Yes!!! Thank you!!! Sleeping beauty got out of bed this morning and showed me how to save your attachments that were opening up in notepad or something like that then open them with Adobe Acrobat. I was able to save every one of them!!!! Seeing that dat file threw me for a loop and I knew the problem was on this side.

17. gunners99

gunners99 Monkey+

thanks for this list, real useful info.

18. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Dang yall Monkeys!!! I think I just killed my Printer!!! Since I strongly suspect alot of SHTF scenarios will mean no electricity I tend to print out a hard copy. My poor printer couldn't take the strain of yet even more Monkey Wisdom. Not sure but I think I saw it smoking!!! lol

Guess its off to Walmart & Staples in the morning!!!

19. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

It's truly a shame, when people either let domains expire, OR, don't take the time to transfer their resources to more permanent hosting, like a free cloud service.

It is also a drag to attempt to access a resource, only to see this load instead:
    Screenshot 2018-06-20 19.44.

Of course, SCRIBD is happy for me to give them my credit card number, in order to access the FREE resources they do continue to host. However, rather than to give them private, personal information, I simply searched the internet for the file names of the resources I was interested in saving. It is amazing, the numbers of files you can locate elsewhere, without having to add a credit card information to any site.

Folks, I pride myself on hosting files so others may have access, in order to help them secure said files for their personal use. Typically, it takes very little money, and nothing more than a bit of time I am very willing to spend, to make sure the files are available for download by those interested parties. In fact, I am working with several hundred (mostly PDF) files at the moment, attempting to organize them into more appropriate folders, in order to make it easier to locate those files.

Oh, even if I were to die today, most of my cloud services would continue indefinitely - for a number of years, at least. Most are free, or are included in some other package I have.

However, to be on the safe side, if anyone ever hears of my passing, please feel free to access any files I host, to make sure they are not lost in Never-Never Land.

20. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Holy cow, that's a bunch of links! May I offer one that's educational and entertaining?

I have one I'd like to offer. It's a fictional story, written as a girls diary. 102 chapters laced with survival cooking, farming, recipes, game and crop preparation, scavenging and plenty of suspense. There is a new link that may be a bit easier to navigate than the older link I had used.

Story is called This is me surviving and was written by Kathy in FL, who now goes by MotherHeninFlorida. An outstanding story, but unfortunately only available online.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12506240/2/This-Is-Me-Surviving

1. Bandit99
  2. GOG
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Benjamin A. Wood
  5. Benjamin A. Wood
  6. Marvin L. Steinhagen
  7. survivalmonkey
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Motomom34
  10. survivalmonkey
  11. 3M-TA3