Moringa Trees ?

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Gator 45/70, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

despite his name, @Gopherman is a green demi god of food production. Come join his evil plot to feed the world!

Gopherman and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I would love to buy the plot next to him and join the effort.

Gopherman and Ganado like this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol well for now I'm assisting in his 'Johnny apple seed' approach

Gopherman likes this.
  4. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I think it's hilarious that I have achieved this reputation! I literally laugh out loud when I read your post and am humbled by the little victories I have achieved over the last 2 1/2 years.
    I never would have done any of this if I didn't know what was coming and refusing to be a slave to food paralysis, when the SHTF.
    Anyone who has watched the video 9 Meals From Anarchy will plainly see that food insecurity is the number 1 cause of looting and civil unrest throughout history. This is not a theory it is a fact.
    I watched hundreds of videos and have applied what others have done and hope to pass on what I have learned through trial and error ( I cannot grow a red beet to save my life).
    There are definitely a lot of venues to research if one can Google effectively, you can find out anything.
    I wanted to grow the most nutrient rich food I can, so as not to waste my time. Along the way I discover, mostly by accident, things like the Moringa, Turmeric, Ginger, Kale...
    it only make sense to spend effort on that first.
    The Hydroponic system is strictly for my wife! She eats a lot of salads and it doesn't make sense to buy chemically laden, Ecoli covered produce, that God only knows who was handling it, and what diseases they have, when I can do it for her.
    My goal is to help all my friends here to avoid the endless hours of searching the web, I already did a lot of it, for this type of info.
    BT Post has a wealth of knowledge, Generators, Off grid...as doe's Sec, Moto and Ganado (Rising Stars in the Monkey tree):),and all the others that Participate on a daily basis here. I can't name em all, but I have gained valuable info from you all at one time or another, because you saved me the time, and have the patience to tutor.
    This is what we're here for, "Together We are Better".
    So Keep on doing your part and I'll keep on doing mine, together we will all prosper from each others vast pool of
    expertise. I love coming here everyday and listening (Reading) to the chatter, bantering,sillyness and all the rest that goes with an extended family.
    Thank you all!!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

When you say "cut back", are you talking hard cut back like they do olive trees in the Med region almost completely to the trunk?

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Yes moringa are prolific so keeping them trimmed supposedly keeps them producing leaves. I will have to experiment. I was thinking do them like tomatoes and basil so you have only a few big leaves as the "battery" and trim off the rest and make tea

More links with recipes for Moringa
    Moringa Recipes - 1001 ways to eat and cook

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Moringa Water Purification[​IMG]

Moringa seed powder can be used as a quick and simple method for cleaning dirty river water. Studies showed that this simple method of filtering not only diminishes water pollution, but also harmful bacteria. The moringa powder joins with the solids in the water and sinks to the bottom. This treatment also removes 90-99% of bacteria contained in water.

Moringa Water Purification

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fig 1.

Dirty water

Fig 2.

Dirt sink to bottom

Fig 3.

Cleaned water after 1 hour

Crushed Moringa seeds clarify and purify water to suit domestic use and lower the bacterial concentration in the water making it safe for drinking.

By using Moringa seeds people will no longer be depending on expensive means originating from the West. Using Moringa to purify water replaces chemicals such as aluminium sulphate, which are dangerous to people and the environment, and are expensive.

Water from varying sources will need different amounts of Moringa seeds powder because of the impurities present will not be the same. Experiments with a jar will help in working out the correct amount needed.

[​IMG][​IMG]

How to Purify Water with Moringa Seeds

[​IMG][​IMG]

MORINGA WATER TREATMENT
    INTRODUCTION

In addition to food, shelter and clothing, water is one of our basic human needs and lack of potable water is a major cause of death and disease in our world. The purpose of this document is to provide information on household water treatment using seeds of the Moringa oleifera tree.

Using natural materials to clarify water is a technique that has been practiced for centuries and of all the materials that have been used, seeds of the Moringa have been found to be one of the most effective. Studies have been conducted since the early 1970's to test the effectiveness of Moringa seeds for treating water. These studies have confirmed that the seeds are highly effective in removing suspended particles from water with medium to high levels of turbidity (Moringa seeds are less effective at treating water with low levels of turbidity).

THEORY

Moringa oleifera seeds treat water on two levels, acting both as a coagulant and an antimicrobial agent. It is generally accepted that Moringa works as a coagulant due to positively charged, water-soluble proteins, which bind with negatively charged particles (silt, clay, bacteria, toxins, etc) allowing the resulting “flocs” to settle to the bottom or be removed by filtration. The antimicrobial aspects of Moringa continue to be researched. Findings support recombinant proteins both removing microorganisms by coagulation as well as acting directly as growth inhibitors of the microorganisms. While there is ongoing research being conducted on the nature and characteristics of these components, it is accepted that treatments with Moringa solutions will remove 90-99.9% of the impurities in water.

WATER TREATMENT WITH MORINGA SEEDS

Solutions of Moringa seeds for water treatment may be prepared from seed kernels or from the solid residue left over after oil extraction (presscake). Moringa seeds, seed kernels or dried presscake can be stored for long periods but Moringa solutions for treating water should be prepared fresh each time. In general, 1 seed kernel will treat 1 liter (1.056 qt) of water.

Dosage Rates:

Low turbidity NTU<50 1 seed per 4 liters (4.225 qt) water

Medium turbidity NTU 50-150 1 seed per 2 liters (2.112 qt) water

High turbidity NTU 150-250 1 seed per 1 liter (1.056 qt) water

Extreme turbidity NTU >250 2 seeds per 1 liter (1.056 qt) water

INSTRUCTIONS TO CLEAN WATER WITH MORINGA SEEDS

1. Collect mature Moringa oleifera seed pods and remove seeds from pods.

2. Shell seeds (remove seed coat) to obtain clean seed kernels; discard discolored seeds.

3. Determine quantity of kernels needed based on amount and turbidity of water; in general 1 seed kernel will treat 1 liter (1.056 qt) of water.

4. Crush appropriate number of seed kernels (using grinder, mortar & pestle, etc) to obtain a fine powder and sift the powder through a screen or small mesh.

5. Mix seed powder with a small amount of clean water to form a paste.

6. Mix the paste and 250 ml (1 cup) of clean water into a bottle and shake for 1 minute to activate the coagulant properties and form a solution.

7. Filter this solution through a muslin cloth or fine mesh screen (to remove insoluble materials) and into the water to be treated.

8. Stir treated water rapidly for at least 1 minute then slowly (15-20 rotations per minute) for 5-10 minutes.

9. Let the treated water sit without disturbing for at least 1-2 hours.

10. When the particles and contaminates have settled to the bottom, the clean water can be carefully poured off.

11. This clean water can then be filtered or sterilized to make it completely safe for drinking.

DANGERS

Secondary Infection: The process of shaking and stirring must be followed closely to activate the coagulant properties; if the flocculation process takes too long, there is a risk of secondary bacteria growth during flocculation.

Recontamination: The process of settling is important. The sediment at the bottom contains the impurities so care must be taken to use only the clear water off the top and not allow the sediment to re-contaminate the cleared water.

Additional contaminants: Moringa treatment does not remove 100% of water pathogens.

It is acceptable for drinking only where people are currently drinking untreated, contaminated water.

By Beth Doerr, ECHO Staff

8. Gopherman

It would be good to use in place of a sand filter, from what this shows and then boil it.

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

As an 3rd back up plan its not bad for water filtration.

Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Moringa seeds 30 days later. 2 of 6 survived. will transfer to selfwatering buckets in a few more days just to winter them.[​IMG]

arleigh, kellory, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gopherman and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Gopherman

I have been thinking about this aspect of Moringa. I am going to use some to see if it clarifies my home made wine.
    If it can do it without messing with the alcohol content, BONUS, if it does mess with it not so good, I like how this wine turns out, about 34 proof.[boozingbuddies]

kellory, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

*facepalm* now you have jumped from mad gardener to mad scientist. You and @Bear are dangerous lol [LMAO][biggrouphug]

kellory and Gopherman like this.
  14. Gopherman

These are some of my Moringa's I started from seeds The big one is the plant I cut in half a month ago. I has 7 new branches coming out of it so far.
    I also cut the existing branches in half and that spurred growth from the armpit of the branches. Next Year I'm going to have them all around the perimeter, they also make a fast growing natural Barrier fence!
    The last 2 Pic's are my strawberry Guava plants from That Super Cool Hawaiian cat Hanzo! Yeah Bro, Thanks!!

Garden Pics 002.JPG Garden Pics 003.JPG Garden Pics 005.JPG Garden Pics 006.JPG

Garden Pics 001.JPG

Gator 45/70, Ganado and Tobit like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Well losing one moringa tree, The resident gopher aka @Gopherman tells me I have root rot. Who would have thunk it. Planted it past the rainy season, but late rain in the desert I now have a dead tree. Ahh the joys of gardening :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Any monkeys have reports on how the moringa is growing? I am wondering seeds vs. buying a little plant already started. The seeds seem to come in large quantities and I was wondering if this is due to seed failure. I saw @azrancher's post that his hadn't sprouted. I am wondering if those of you that got them to sprout if they were hardy.

Gopherman likes this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

My died of root rot and I havent started the others this year. Too wet

wonder how @Gopherman 's are doing.

Motomom34 and Gopherman like this.
  18. Gopherman

Hi Gals,
    I started 25 and all sprouted and are about 2" tall with second leaves showing. I wintered 10 in my potting shed and 2 survived.
    Also out of the 30 Passion cuttings I started 23 are doing very well and I gave some away.
    My Greenhouse and grow beds put out bumper crops of Collards all winter and I had a wonderful harvest of Beet's, Yes Beets!!
    Woo hoo!!! I still have some growing in the greenhouse as well. My Bright Lights Swiss Chard is growing off the charts some of the leaves are 18" long I have a lot of Spinach growing as well. They are about 50-50 on producing but my lettuce is huge.It's putting out more than my wife can eat.Chard is a good year round crop in a green house but will usually die if it gets hit with frost.
    I planted 65 Okra plants and a 12 Honey Dew, Purple Turnips,Giant Mustard, Tomatoes, 8 Sweet Peppers,6 Jalapeno as well as Giants Radish Root.
    Looking forward to eating well this year, I'm getting the hang of this. I tore up all my Collards plants to make room for summer crops. we spent a couple days canning the greens.
    Rabbits are bred out, should have about 60 Babies soon, I have 6 new Goats and 4 Sheep, they are so freaking cute!
    Thats about it for me right now I'll get a Vid. soon and put it up, hope you are all doing well! Good luck this year!!

A lot of people eat them, They are very powerful so don't eat too many , research it first. They have about a 90% sprout rate.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
  19. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

How did the wine clarification process work? Was it a success or failure?
    I may have to try planting those here in ohio.

chelloveck likes this.
  20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    My first oranges are turning orange!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 19, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Media

Avocadoes

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 10, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Lemon_Guavas

I always plant flowers close to my fruit trees.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Guava season is here!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
    Media

Lychee

The BEST Kind of Gains!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    Media

Bananas

It's Bananas B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Dunerunner
  15. hot diggity
  16. Motomom34
  17. Ganado
  18. Meat
  19. Motomom34
  20. Ganado
    I love these [IMG]
    Thread by: Ganado, Mar 8, 2019, 8 replies, in forum: The Green Patch
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7