Morse code is not dead!

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by oldbee1966, Oct 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I remember the first day Morse was introduced to me... sitting at Camp Mackall doing some test... that I had no idea of what they were looking for...at least that I was interested in. ;) No wonder most that go through Morse school live on Advil.... mind numbing for sure. :eek:

chelloveck likes this.
  2. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Camp Mackall was an abandoned air strip when I was at Bragg, we sometimes used it for field problems, but not often. That would have been '66-'68

3. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

The trick is to keep listening. I've found out lately that my speed is still around ten wpm, and I haven't been on CW for years. Just listening to CW QSO's is bringing my comprehension back up, and I'm finally at the point where I hear the characters as code, instead of dits and dahs, which is the point I've always wanted to be at.

William Warren

chelloveck likes this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I haven't had any exposure to Morse code for decades. I had a few months training in .mil, until it was determined that I was better suited to being a grunt than discovering the mysteries of HF aerial tuning. I got to carry a platoon ANPRC 25Set as a radio operator, which motivated me to becoming an officer so that someone else could carry that load, not understanding at the time that the weight of command is much heavier than any ANPRC 25Set.

I think of Morse code as I do Latin...an interesting thing to learn, but with many other demands on my time, the cost benefit analysis is not in favour of much time investment in it.

techsar and Yard Dart like this.
  5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

First place I ever saw a fox squirrel! Thanks for the memories!

Yard Dart likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7