Mosin Nagant :: Chinese Type 53

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by VisuTrac, Mar 2, 2013.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

And .... it's a parts gun. :(
    Thankfully the Mosin-Nagant family uses the same basic set of interchangeable parts from the Russian Model 1891 all the way up to the model 53 chinese.
    Same bolt, same magazine so I'll have spare parts (springs, trigger, pins, ejector, extractor, bolt head, screws, etc)

Damn barrel is shot out. Last 4 inches, well let's just say that the rifling here would only suggest how fast the projectile should spin and in what direction (maybe).

I'm glad it was only 90 bucks.

I guess i could chop it down to a 16.25" barrel but it was going to kick like a mule at 20" or buy a new barrel (50 bucks) I still might but for now, I'll just tinker with it. Play with lapping the bolt to the receiver, working with the extractor and ejector to learn how they work and how to sweeten them up.

I bought a headspace guage for the 7.62x54R and this one is at the limit. Won't close on the field guage but does on the No-Go so it was going to be a factory ammo only gun. No Reloads.

Yeah, and I had to go an extra full turn on the firing pin so i'd not get any punctured primers.

Well, the Bayonet is still freaking Awesome! I should weld it to the front of my truck.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Russian military and obviously Chinese were taught to clean from the muzzle with the supplied steel rod. Now and then, you'll find imports that have been counterbored to remove the worn out lands. My rifle had that treatment, but still meets a 4 MOA standard.

VisuTrac likes this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Y'all know me enough by now to know My Scot's/Irish Blood from 2 of my grandparents would be boiling over if it were me.
    I am so sorry for your loss. (the $90 of course). I will don my black garb and mourn for you for two weeks at least.

4. VisuTrac

Well, you know I couldn't let the Chinese win.

a little Kroil, a big chunk of rubber, a pipe wrench and a big freaking pipe I was able to headspace the puppy to within specs.

hand sanded and then polished about .004 from the length of the firing pin so within specs.

Took 2.75 coils off the firing pin spring. (took the need for a pipe to cock the bolt out of it)

and then reassembled it (multiple times)
    DSCN3101_zps02acb5f0.
    DSCN3102_zpsa35ded65.
    And now we wait for the stock to be released to retail in the next 2 weeks.
    [coffee2]

5. Cwm1150

Cwm1150 Monkey+

Nice work so far, wonder how it shoots? I am sure it has seen some hard use.

6. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

Unlike ARVN Rifles..." never shot and only dropped once...... "

7. VisuTrac

and .... a box that contained something I ordered 3 months ago FINALLY arrived.
    a couple of screws and SHAZAM
    DSCN3123_zps42b1fcfc.
    trigger is sitting back too far in the stock and hitting the trigger guard. Going to have to do some more trigger tweaking. Thankfully, i've a few extra parts to play with until this puppy is GTG.

Still waiting on the extended detachable mags (10 rd as opposed to the current 5 rd). Thankfully it's Fathers Day weekend. I'm gonna be able to get me some range time as .. well damit, it's MY DAY!

8. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

very very nice ! I gotta get me some of that !

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

mosin.
    Here is an animated image showing the action of the Mosin.

stg58 likes this.
  10. VisuTrac

Update to chinese pos type 53 pos.
    It's a P.O.S.

After trying 3 different (bought, cleaned up, trigger jobs etc)
    The bores are about as good as a zip gun.

I wound up degreasing the wood and refinishing them. They looked better but they still shot like crap.

I probably should have just taken the chop saw to them.

I got my money out of them, but not my time.

I'll not be trying the chinese model again. Poor machining, poor bores (steel cleaning rods really do a number when run from the muzzle to the breech. I guess they didn't train the users very well. well shot out.

hell, a rusted stuck truck russian mosin had a better action than a cosmoed chinese.

I'm going to stick with russian, romanian and finnish mosins.

I sold the stock because , while it looked excellent with the carbine, with the rifle, OMG it looked like I was carting around field piece.

My lesson was .. just buy a better gun because no matter how cheap it was you still can't make a silk purse out of a sows' ear.

11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

AR's are down on sale to as low as $500

oldawg likes this.
  12. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

This might make a good shooter for you. You might not like the price. Russian Mosin Nagant M44 7.62x54r Carbine, Cope's Distributing

VisuTrac likes this.
  13. VisuTrac

Thanks @tacmotusn price is about average for an M44 AimSurplus is a few dollars cheaper now. After the holidays, and after some of those getting them for Xmas go out and shoot them for the first time, they'll wind up on the forums for about half off.

M44's are fire belching mule kickers. If you don't kill them with the projectile, you can stab them with they bayonet and then roast them as you shoot the rest.

Yard Dart and tacmotusn like this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I do have a question or two about ammo storage and so on.... considering you can grab a bunch of these for cheap.... how much ammo would be reasonable for this type of fire arm. I have a ton of 7.62X39 but none of the "54". Are you considering this as a weapon to disseminate to your tribe for defense or is it more of a bartering weapon...... I would rather use my AK's or SKS for primary weapons, but interested in this Mosin option due to the cost point.

15. VisuTrac

440rds of x54R is running about 95.00 in spam cans

Yard Dart likes this.
  16. VisuTrac

x54R is combloc equivalent to 30.06
    basically, if you get a good one (Finn, Russian or Romanian) it's about as good as a 1903 springfield.

Oh and if you can get a SVT it also takes the same ammo. :D

Brokor, oldawg, kellory and 1 other person like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7