Mossberg 590

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Harbin, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Yes! Just as bolt actions are more reliable than semi-auto's. Less moving parts. Your original post was about the 500 or 590. My recommendation and I think the consensus is with the 590, or if you can afford it the 590A1. A little more pricey than a standard 590 but more reliable. Aluminum safety instead of plastic, heavier barrel. But if you are looking for a quality shotty, ultra, trust your life to it, reliability, for a reasonable price, then I would say go with the Rem. 870. That was my first "tactical" shotgun and I still have it. It is as faithful as an old hound dog and will never let you down.

2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Beings they both go bang consistently there's no difference in reliability between my 500A or 870. The 500A is the PG model the 870 is more accurate.

3. Harbin

Harbin Monkey+

The more time I spend on this forum, the more I enjoy it!

Thank you everyone for the input! Gonna run with the 590A1 this time around.

Guit_fishN and Sapper John like this.
  4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Harbin, you are going to love this place, it has been the internet home for many of us. There are a lot of good people on this site from many assorted walks of life. Just keep in mind that opinions are like you know what....we all have them.

Glad to have you aboard. You will have to give us a range report on your acquisition.

BTPost likes this.
  5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

geeze no one picked out the oldies like the winchester 97, winchester model 12 riot gun, or the stevens 520 riot guns...

old school but the right tools....:D

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have a Winchester 1300 Stainless, with extended tube mag, above the Front Door. It suites Momma and I just fine. #9 shot in the chamber. Slugs and 00 Buck, alternating thru the rest of the load-out.... ..... YMMV....

7. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Guit_fishN likes this.
  8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

It would depend on your intended use.
    I like my 870's better for a couple of small reasons. I prefer the 870 safety because I use a pistol grip and the 500's location of the safety you can't reach it without taking your hand off if the grip.
    Secondly if it matters in the way of durability the moss has an aluminum receiver and the 870 has heavy steel. IE club when needed. Last but not least is the availability of inexpensive after market parts for the 870.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guit_fishN likes this.
  9. Akheloce

Akheloce Monkey++

I personally have both. The 590 I got was the Mariner version that I keep in hangers under the boat dash. The 500 hangs from a nail next to the front door loaded with Brenneke Black Magic slugs.

The 500 IMHO is much more versatile. There are mag extensions available, plus barrels of every variety which cannot be adapted to the 590.

In the 590, I've had nothing but problems with the mag spring. I've replaced the OEM (crap) with a vangcomp, and later a wolff, but cannot load to full capacity for extended periods without reliability problems (I have to hold it vertical to pump in the last 2 rounds).

The 500 has proven to have been a better investment, since I got 3 barrels for it, and left it at stock mag capacity, and no reliability problems.

10. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Well actually i have not tried a Moss 590, but have heard good things about them. I have had Moss 500s that I shot into the ground. I was buying parts for it and when the cost of parts (I'm a gunsmith) cost me as much as the gun cost (I bought it new), I dumped it.

When looking at a gun, I look to see what people who actually USE their guns use. Trap shooters, duck hunters, IPSC shooters, people who go in harms way and BUY their own guns, etc. NONE OF THEM uses a Mossberg! You WILL see Win 1200/1300, Ithaca 37 (which became the 87 and then back to the 37), Remington 870 (there is a reason they have sold over a million of them!!), possibly a few Browning BPS/A5s, trap shooters like the Rem 1100, but like I said, there are NO Mossbergs!

My 1958 Rem 870 is doing fine thank you. Bought a couple of used 870s at a auction that had some guns for $125/$165 and consider that a great deal. There are not many (ANY?) shotguns out there tougher than a 870! Possibly the Ithaca 37, but that is about it.

Quigley_Sharps and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7