1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Mossberg bought... range report

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Quantrill, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Quantrill

Quantrill Monkey++

After going to the local toy store and trying various shotguns I decided against the 590a1 and the 870 and got a 500 Mariner instead. I like the idea of a metal safety and trigger group but I did not like the 20" barrel on the 590. I certainly liked the safety and location of the slide release on the 500/590 better than what was on the 870. I will buy metal parts for the 500 and use the plastic as a backup. So after some haggling the Mariner came home with me as well as 50 rounds of 00 buck.

I got the gun home, took it apart cleaned and greased it and tried to load rounds, only 2 would fit in the magazine. Why would someone put a plug in a gun like this? Oh well, plug removed.

So with a new shotgun in my hot little hands I went to the father-in-laws farm to shoot. All I gotta say is damn this thing rocks! No jams, no problems of any kind. Everything about this gun feels natural to me. I need more range time and more rounds through the barrel but, I think I would trust this gun with my life. The ammo I used is that U.S. surplus floating around.

In conclusion, "In a CQB scenario, the "antiquated" shotgun will put down the hurt with a brutality not seen outside the Bible."
  2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I love My Mossberg 500's....All 3 of them!
  3. SuperTico

SuperTico Yawn !

I worked as a 'smith at the largest gunshop in the US .
    The 500 is the most reliable pump ever built.
  4. Quantrill

Quantrill Monkey++

After yesterday that does not come as a shock too me. Another suprise is how one can still buy a good quality American made weapon and not spend over $400 in this day and age, hell the milspec 590 was still under $500.

I think I am going to go get some coffee to wash down the Advil I need for my shoulder now. [ROFL][gone]stupid me did not wear a recoil shield.
  5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I am a big fan of the Mossy 500. Good scattergun.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary