Mossberg MVP-LC

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by DLConcepts, Dec 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DLConcepts

DLConcepts Monkey+++

I've been extremely interested in the Mossberg MVP-LC in .308 for some time now, and I'm thinking seriously about getting one. I have a simple breakdown Rossi 22/410 for my pack gun, ruger 10/22 for small game, and standby Remington 30-06/ Weatherby .270 for deer rifles. Was looking into a larger caliber lightweight pack gun, and more pack-able than the full rifles. I know a well placed 22 or 410 slug will bring down large game, but sometimes you can't get that close.
    I have also seen the Ruger precision rifle. Both are comparable in price. 1200-1400 w/ no scope. Both appear to be able to use standard AR mags as well.

I was wondering if any of you monkeys have purchased either, or had any input on the subject.

MVP®-LC (Light Chassis) Archives | O.F. Mossberg & Sons
    Ruger Precision Rifle™

2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That Ruger looks nice. Had an early model Gunsite (first run) that had a few hiccups, but it was a tack driver, MOA with milsurp ammo. Mag cost alone made me sell it. $80 a pop IF you could find them.

If would have to be SHTF for me to even consider giving Mossberg houseroom.

3. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I just got rid of a Mossberg MVP Patrol in .308. I liked everything about the rifle, especially the ability to accept both AR10 and M14 style mags...but the one thing I didn't like was the most important criteria - it's accuracy was crap. Best I could get out of it after trying multiple ammo types was 2" groups at 100 yards...from a bench rest! I can do better than that with my freakin AK for chris' sake.

I ended up trading it for my S&W M&P45c and my search for another bolt gun continues.

Ganado likes this.
  4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I'd check out Tikka, Remington PSS etc. (the list is too long so etc works ;)) as any of them are capable of MOA or less accuracy with ammo they like and unless one is planning on 1K range a mid-range scope.

Personally, as it adds weight, gets in the way, and more, I'm not interested in a bolt gun with a 20 round magazine.

Tully Mars likes this.
  5. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

The Savage Arms "Scout" (or whatever they call it, same action as the 110/111 action) is an amazingly accurate rifle and reasonably priced too.

6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I saw that the other day. It's as nice as all that?

7. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Yard Dart likes this.
  8. DLConcepts

DLConcepts Monkey+++

That scout looks great for what I am wanting, and about half the price. I might have to just save me some money. I went to three local shops today and found a scout on the shelves, no MVPs. All three told me they would never buy a $1400 mossberg. Best price I've found local is $659 for the scout. I can live without AR mags for $700.

9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Yard Dart likes this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I have a MVP in 223 it's all I hunt with now neck and head shots 75gr boat tail hollow point drops them in their tracks.

SkinnyRabbitWithGuns likes this.
  11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Building a 6.5 Grendle you might want to check them out... nice flat shooting almost the weight of an ar-15

1. HK_User
  2. AxesAreBetter
  3. Brokor
  4. Tyler Danann
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. RouteClearance
  7. Brokor
    Resource

HK91 (CETME) .308 2014-06-15

Heckler & Koch GMBH - 6 pages.
    Posted By: Brokor, Jun 15, 2014 in category: Firearm Manuals
  8. Brokor