mossburg .338 winmag More gun than scope to handle it

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Gopherman, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I was looking at an 8x yesterday they were as much as over $3000. I found one on ebay for $325.00 I think I'll buy that one.

2. Gopherman

I bought a varmint hunter night vision gen 1 with a quick mount put it behind my red dot that things works pretty good, you have to adjust the focus a lot, but I was seeing cats a hundred yards away. animals eyes shine when you turn on the light option. I have to use the red dot the green wont show up. paid about $350 for it, its better than nothing.
    I have it on my 10/22

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Most of my rifles have Leupold scopes and I can't even begin to laud them enough, never had a problem with one on big magnums or .22s. RH is one of the more knowledgeable persons on this forum about optics packages and carries a really good line of optics. I am sure she wouldn't mind discussing them with you.

4. Gopherman

How do you put weight on it?

5. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Heavier stock and barrel.. Will improve the accuracy as well..

6. Gopherman

[flush]
    One of the guys at a sport shop said they make a recoil reducer that fits in the Chamber or something. The rounds are $50 a box of 20. I don't really shoot it enough to go to that expense. I figure If I can just hit it once that should do the trick. Started to sell it until I did the Math on the Ammo I bought. Not gonna get that back!

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You could drill the stock and fill with lead, or add a lead plate to the buttstock. Before the buttpad.

Gopherman likes this.
  8. Gopherman

I would definitely want a pro to do that. I'm preety handy at a lot of things, But I know my limitations!

9. kellory

I know someone that added several pounds to a high powered rifle in that manner for his son to handle.

10. Gopherman

[deadhorse]
    The 30.06 has a pretty good kick to it as well, but I can handle that one. I can shoot the .338 it's just a Mule!

11. kellory

if I was attempting it, I think I would make a plaster cast of the butt stock with the pad removed. Use that casting as a lead mold, for a one inch thick buttpad. Then drill and screw butpad back on. Trimming the pad if needed for fit.

Silversnake likes this.
  12. Gopherman

I promise you I will not do this myself. when it comes to modifying a gun, I'm Not Doin it!!![cow]

13. kellory

That's fine, stay with what you are comfortable with. It will make carrying it more work, but from a fixed position (deer stand) who cares? And the nice thing is, it is easily restorable, if you ever wish to sell. Worst cost would be a new buttpad.

14. Gopherman

Yeah, I can't hold this thing and shoot it, definitely need a tripod for hunting with it. I want to go hg hunting this year, If you don't take them right out they may come take me out, That's hunting!!!

15. kellory

what is the reload time between shots? That is way more gun than pigs need, and a followup shot may be more important that a big knockdown shot. (if you get my meaning)

16. Gopherman

It's a bolt action. Not long a second or 2 only holds 3 in the mag 1 in the chamber

17. kellory

Yes, but your followup shot will likely miss (flinch factor, and moving target, mixed with "it's going to EAT ME!".
    I would suggest a lighter, faster aimed gun that you can fire without pain. Even if that means trading that gun for something smaller.

Gopherman likes this.
  18. Gopherman

That's funny!! I always Carry a 357 mag or 17 shot 9mm, I will not die!!!!

19. kellory

the size of the hammer doesn't matter if you can't hit the nail.

STANGF150 likes this.
  20. Gopherman

What are you trying to Say???[patr]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7