mossburg .338 winmag More gun than scope to handle it

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Gopherman, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

They never should have showed me hoe to use the emoticons button.LOL

2. Gopherman

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I am not doubting your skill with a gun, but if I can only rely on a one shot deal I Would use a cannon, and shoot up to 3 miles. but if a follow-up shot is needed, it must be fast and accurate. which is exactly what you cannot do. I would rather have three or four shot dead on target and ready with the 5th that to have one knockdown shot that I can't repeat.especially if there's more than one target.
    so you have four choices.a) tame the load which would reduce range.
    B) add weight to the gun to reduced recoil,
    C) trade the gun for something that is more in keeping with you're hunting needs.,
    Or d) or consider it a one shot wonder and cuss every single time you pull the trigger.

Gopherman likes this.
  4. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

Using premium Hornady ammo (225gr Interbond) at the advertised muzzle velocity of 2,840 fps, with it zeroed to impact 3 inches high at 100 yards, that bullet drops 25 feet from your point of aim at 1000 yards. You will need an extremely nice target/sniper style scope with externally adjustable turrets and precise ballistic charts, bipod, to be able to make those shots. Just at 500 yards, that bullet drops over 3 feet below the reticle on your optic.

Gopherman likes this.
  5. Gopherman

I have been looking at I found one leupold 8x model for $375 looks brand new1 but for a 3,000 dollar saving who cares when it has a life time warranty on it, right?

Hallelujah!!
    I take option numberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... A. where can I get a cannon?

I Found The Box, Remington ExpressCORE-LOKT 250 grain

check this crazy video

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2013
  6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I got a 4-Bore rifle

7. kellory

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2013
  8. Gopherman

9. kellory

.....and a standard powder charge is a quarter weight. (Make sure to learn the proper loads and handling procedures for your specific gun.) And the right kind of powder.
    A nine pound cannon ball is about 4 " across, and fit for navy use. Field pieces were more commonly 4-6 pounder's. 'Check your local laws, but cannon are generally legal for private ownership. (Do not rob a bank with one, and it might STAY off a banned list);)

10. Gopherman

Where can I get a long range scope for it?

11. kellory

If you are man enough to carry one, you don't need a scope.

12. Gopherman

[gun2]ohno

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2013
  13. KYOT

KYOT Monkey+

I'm not being elitist, but I have found gen 1 to be a waste of time and money. There are a few decent ones, but the performance is so poor at anything but very short range (<40m) with the IR activated, that it has very few uses. Watch ebay for deals on regular gen2 and 3 monoculars. I have never paid over 850 for an nvg, and that includes 5 different g3 systems that I have gotten. For targeting, rely on a low output red visible light laser with external adjustments mounted to the rifle. This doubles as an excellent witness to your regular riflescope to confirm the scope is on zero. I use this set up on a G3 and a DPMS LR243 with no zero issues. My son in law recently landed a good gen 2 itt night explorer off ebay for under 400. The advantage with this, as the military has found, is that it is lighter than an nvg riflescope with reticle, and can be helmet or head mounted to allow stealth maneuver (walking) unlike a rifle mounted nvg. The low output laser is very visible with nvg, yet barely visible with bare eyes, and does not alarm game. Personally, I use two g3, one helmet mounted, and one on the rifle's picitinny rail, with a zoom telephoto lens with a standard C mount camera hookup, which can replace the ocular lens on either g3 nvgs, allowing up to around 12x magnification, down to a 0.6x (less than 1x) wide view magnification. Works great out to well over 300m with no IR assist. Also, since you can manuever, you take your nvg from being able to see in the dark, to true invisiblility, since you can see, and they cannot see you. That is a significant tactical advantage, and the reason that the military has moved away from rifle mounted nvg scopes for all but specific DMR and sniper packages.
    KYOT
    Look at the enclosed pic of a porker that this system netted last weekend in TX just south of Corsicana at BoarCreek.com. This is a slightly different scope mounted on the rifle with a startron MK880 g3 which has around 3x magnification by itself. This was designed exclusively to mount directly to a camera. I just dremmeled off the C mount. Note the laser above the bbl. This put my shot exactly where I aimed, within 1/2" at around 60m. BTW, highly reccomend Boarcreek as well, class act!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    Gopherman likes this.
  14. Gopherman

I looked at some really sophisticated stuff on Ebay, most of it came with federal warnings, I don't need hassles like that, especially when their starting to Demonize people who are becoming self reliant.

15. KYOT

KYOT Monkey+

DSCF0834.JPG

gunbunny and Gopherman like this.
  16. Gopherman

Man at first I thought you shot your dog! LOL Nice colors on that pig, where you hunting from?

17. KYOT

KYOT Monkey+

That is the arms control export warning. That is ebay woosies covering their 6. Shipping, carrying or in anyway taking across a US national border is a felony, as NVG is a significant force multiplyer. The FBI conducts stings to try to get sellers to ship internationally. In the states, no worries, only thing to watch for is stolen or military diverted equipment. Avoid this by not buying the same models they use. The only military scope that I use is one ENVIS, which was retired equipment from a cop shop. This is no worries, and not tracked aside from the intl shipping issues. It is also legal to own, but check your game laws. Illegal to use where I live in KS, but fine in TX and many other states.
    KYOT

18. KYOT

KYOT Monkey+

Over a feeder, 65m away in a box stand. Punched his ticket so quick, I could not even see the entry wound till I hung him. He bled around 3cc. That is a quick kill!

19. Gopherman

Thanks but i have to know
    Do they breed those pigs colored like that then release them? That's the craziest colors I've ever seen!

20. KYOT

KYOT Monkey+

That is just a mix with some domestic in it. My son in law got one that was 210lbs and solid blackRussian. Feral pigs started as domestic, got free, and are now very wild, and dangerous. Contrary to popular belief, they are quite a bit more wary than a whitetail. My first two stands were a wash because I was breathing out of my mouth and they scented me. Deer cannot do that. Their vision is not great, but their hearing and scent senses are are quite a bit superior to any deer I have busted. It has been a good year, got a 150lb+ doe in my backyard 3 wks ago

DSCF0798.JPG

kellory and gunbunny like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7