Most versatile livestock?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Aug 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

You CAN train a cow to ride. It's been done many times. I got in a world of trouble by my high school FFA teacher when he caught me riding my show steer. Had a saddle on him, and steered him with a halter and a lead rope. Matter of fact there's a guy down in the Stockyards in Fort Worth who rides around, saddle bridle and bit, on a Longhorn steer. More than one actually.
    steer.JPG
    You can teach pretty much any animal to be ridden if it's big enough to ride. Just a question of how uncomfortable you want to be (or how stupid you want to look) while riding it.

2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Looks like the cow is creaming her competition....(The ridden, not the rider) ;)

Quite an achievement for both.

ditch witch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Alex Karras proved that, many years ago, as Mongo, in Blazing Saddles! :ROFLMAO:

mongo.

ditch witch, Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Ganado likes this.
  5. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

"Mongo only pawn in game of life."

natshare and ditch witch like this.
  6. Mountain mama

Mountain mama Monkey++

I think chickens are easiest to start with. Start small with a half dozen. If you keep their coop clean and bleach their water bowls, they stay pretty healthy. I love chickens. I also have 3 horses. My horse Cisco is my very best friend. They do require a bit of knowledge. I started riding when I was 3, am 47 now. My parents live a few miles away. They have a small herd (6) of hair sheep. They are easy to care for, but the RAM can be a pain. We plan to get a couple of goats to add to our little farm. I am in the process of educating myself now on goats. Milk/meat producers and not as much hay and feed as a cow.
    As for horse care, part of my"inner circle" of friends is a farrier...so when shtf scenario happens, I still have them in my little prepper family. Horses are versatile and have been part of my life for as long as I can remember.

7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Don't know where you live, but Gulf Sheep have a lot of the perks of goats, are endangered, and you already have experience with the animal...if it fits your AO, you would be doing a service as well as gaining some critters.

chelloveck likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Neighbor had goats, they climbed every thing trees , truck, cars , house , fence , .these babies should jump and height didn't matter .
    Good luck .

john316 likes this.
  1. Yard Dart
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Benjamin A. Wood
  5. Benjamin A. Wood
  6. Benjamin A. Wood
  7. Benjamin A. Wood
  8. Benjamin A. Wood
  9. BenP
    [ATTACH] Last 15-20 years and makes more every year.
    Thread by: BenP, Sep 20, 2018, 15 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. Asia-Off-Grid
  15. Asia-Off-Grid
  16. Asia-Off-Grid
  17. Asia-Off-Grid
  18. Asia-Off-Grid
  19. Asia-Off-Grid
  20. Asia-Off-Grid