Motivational Poster Thread (warning content)

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by Quigley_Sharps, Apr 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

1234b93543b69edd.

3cyl, toydoc and oldawg like this.
  2. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

432e6860d85d4a26.

SB21 likes this.
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

[​IMG]
    My first phone number began with KE (Kenwood) 5. I still had a party line in the house when the kids were born. Funny part is that the phone lines worked even when the power was out. Not so easy with cellular.

SB21, toydoc, Cruisin Sloth and 3 others like this.
  4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Ah, yes. The old Bell System(s)
    My dad was a lineman for years with Mountain Bell. I worked briefly as Monkey labor (Western Electric installer of CO equipment) but went into the military - a lot less boring.

Later, I worked for A phone company (CLEC) and an entirely different universe thanks to the break up of the Bell systems in 1984.

Tully Mars likes this.
  6. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Had to explain to my daughter’s boyfriend studying electrical engineering all about rotary phones, the relay switching, why area codes used to all have a 1 or 0 as the middle digit and why Chicago was 312, NY was 212, LA 213, Alaska was 907, etc. Fortunately, he actually got it and saw the wisdom in all of it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    SB21, Cruisin Sloth and Tully Mars like this.
  7. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

SE Michigan was 313, still is in parts of Detroit. Used to be Ann Arbor

VisuTrac likes this.
  8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

...and with a bit of practice you could dial a number by quickly tapping the hook the appropriate number of times...BAldwin was our office code ;)

Cruisin Sloth and Merkun like this.
  9. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

MA 1 0873 W
    Yep, party line and we were the only party on it. Phasing out party lines and switchboard operators at the time.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I can remember when the first ESS Exchange went in, in West Seattle, in it’s own new building, just North of the Old Step by Step Exchange Building, across the street from the Post Office... Next Door neighbor was a Switchman there, and he let me and my friends in to see the system often...Gave us lots of chunks of the leftover spools of Black/White Frame Wire, so we could build our own private Telephone System on our Block, between our houses... We had six phones a a switchboard going in Jr. High...

Tully Mars, VisuTrac and mysterymet like this.
  11. 44044

44044 Monkey+++

I still have a rotary wall phone in use

SB21 and T. Riley like this.
  12. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

You are old

Tully Mars, SB21 and T. Riley like this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have got candlestick phones, sound power phones, and old wall crank phones. some phone systems use to
    accommodate the rotary phones but those are days gone by.

14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I remember picking up the phone at grandma's house and listening to 2 old ladies gossiping. Grandma would come in , smack me on the head and tell me to go outside.
    My Mom was a Ma Bell operator for a while , and i can remember being able to dial Zero ,, and my Mom would answer the phone ,,

15. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Guns and Walls.

16. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

7F2D17A8-5AE2-44D7-B6B1-35F52765C00D.

17. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I can vaguely remember the partyline phone we had at a rental home when I was very young. Occasionally Mom would pick up the phone to make a call, a neighbor was chatting, and Mom would ask then politely to get off the line so she could make her call.

Tully Mars likes this.
  18. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Yep, typo on my part, hit the 3 instead of 2 and didn’t notice. Chicago is 312 not 313. Goose Island Brewing based in the Windy City makes a nice wheat beer called 312.
    upload_2021-1-21_17-16-57.

19. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

img - 2021-01-21T180353.833.

20. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

img - 2021-01-20T194212.766.

AD1, Tully Mars, Alf60 and 8 others like this.
  1. Yard Dart
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Altoidfishfins
  4. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Oct 23, 2018, 23 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. Witch Doctor 01
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  8. chelloveck
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. Yard Dart
  11. OldDude49
  12. RJB
  13. Legion489
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Legion489, Jun 13, 2017, 8 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  14. Yard Dart
  15. Yard Dart
  16. chelloveck
  17. Yard Dart
  18. Ganado
  19. 3M-TA3
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7