Motorola Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Motomom34, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Not much to do with survival but Monkey's are very smart when it comes to electronics.

I am looking to switch from my Apple to a new phone. The new Motorola phones are quite reasonably priced. The sales person last night said that the Motorola is basically the same as a Samsung in quality just $300 cheaper. I would not do one of the Motorola mod phones because I am not technical and do not need to add anything, I just want a normal phone. People have said switching from Apple to android is a learning curve but my kids are android so we can do apps that allows us to facetime or whatever android calls it. I know that my texts cannot be transferred from Apple to Android but Apple phones are really expensive.

I am looking for the best bargain for my money. Looking for a bigger screen and just a plain, basic cell phone. So far LG and Motorola have come up the most reasonable priced. Anyone have any feedback on these products?

Ura-Ki likes this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

You can get pretty good deals on "un locked" phones from various sources, just be careful, some are fakez
    I have been running a Galaxy S6 for a little over a year now, and it's been the best phone I have ever had. Through AT&T, it cost me $20per month on the phone and the plans pretty reasonable too. Best coverage we have ever had, and the warranty has been quite helpful. Mine runs the Android O.S. and has 6 gigs and is also set up to run with my personal hotspot!

sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Been using a Galaxy S5 since it came out...not difficult to use. A small learning curve when compared to an iPhone. More a matter of remembering how to get to what you want ;)

Not sure if it's the phone or advanced maturity!

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Iphone battery is dying plus it is small. I need a bigger screen because my eyes are really getting bad. I need a simple inexpensive phone that is easy to work. Nothing fancy. The sales guy last night was showing my a thumb print recognition feature. I think I was supposed to be impressed but those things are not important.

Samsung's are pricey....

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Knowing that I have an anti cell phone bias, it never occurred to me to get a different phone so I can see it, just got my glasses prescription updated. Cost less than one of those damn too small screens, especially since all I want a phone for is phone calls.

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I find my Galaxy easy to use, and its just about the right size, still fits my pocket yet the screen is big enough to read easy. Batteries life is awesome, and charge times are super quick, plus, protecive cases are easy to find for it and sxreen protectors. With my two year plan, the phone only cost my $20 per month and I can upgrade at any time if I wanted! I super hard on phones, and this is the first one that has lasted.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Personally I'm sticking with an iPhone because it's the only one that's secure if you do your part.

Whatever you get, put it in an Otterbox with screen protector or Zizo case - just got one of these for $20 on Amazon for my iPhone. It comes in a dozen colors and includes the screen protector, also passes a 12' drop test.:
    [​IMG]

Gator 45/70, Asia-Off-Grid and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I run a Mag-Pul case on my Galaxy, the OtterBox broke. And the Pelican is too thick!

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and 3M-TA3 like this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I wish MagPul would make cases for more phones.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I used a Motorola Flip-Fone for decades, up until a few years ago... When it finally died, and my 2nd Generation iPad Died of a broken screen, I decided that I need a Second set of "Brains" as my iTouch was out of space, so I went on FleaBay and found a very nice iPhone5S and got the Cannery to put it on their Account where the Flip-Fone had been, and kept that Number... Then I bought AlaskaChick a BIG iPad to replace her Failing Laptop, and I got her iPad Pro, as my Primary "Brains" which soon was out of space, so just recently I bought a 4th Generation iPad 64G Verizon/WiFi, used from FleaBay for $100US, and moved ALL my Backup "Brains" and all the the /storage Intensive stuff over to it... AND it still runs IOS8 so all my 32bit APPs will run on it which the iPad Pro which with IOS11 will NOT run as it is 64Bit APP ONLY... I do NOT do Verizon, so I just keep it on Bluetooth and WiFi, for connectivity, and we have a Mobile HotSpot on AT&T that is our Backup Internet Connection here, that also travels with us, when we do Road Trips.... I keep the iPhone5S and iPad Pro only ONE Release back on the IOS... (Never was much for Bleeding Edge) and the Old iTouch, & iPad4 are kept at IOS8 for 32bit compatibility... Of course AlaskaChick keeps her iPhone7 and now has a backup iPad Mini to keep her storage stuff on, and she is converting her Old iPhone4 to become her iPod/MusicBox after she gave her iTouch to a GrandKid...

11. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

That's the truth. I've been using Otterbox phone cases since I began buying iPhones. You can throw them across a parking lot and they will be protected. Toughest case I've seen.

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I've heard the Otterbox is guaranteed to protect against everything except shark attack, descending space debris, children under 5*, and @Ura-Ki

* When I got my first Pelican Case it had a sticker on with that exact phrase. I think that was around the time that Skylab went out of orbit.

13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My Otter box broke the first two weeks I had it! Dropped it from about 8 feet getting out of the big fire truck and the front broke at the corner! Ashamed to admit it, but I have dropped my phone several times, but with the MagPul, it never even left a mark in it! Phone has survived every one, so that also says somthing.
    Still have an Old Motorola flip phone from WAY back when, and it still works, and has Better/Stronger signal strength then all the new phones. I keep it charged and ready for emergencies!

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  14. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Samsung is gud, so is the Pixel 2

do not buy anythin else

motorola aint motorola any more (n) (n) :mad: :mad: :cry: :cry:

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Remember when ANYTHING Motorola was top notch, even made the best CPU's? I still have a 68K laying around along with the largest DIP socket ever made.

sec_monkey, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm not a big computer person , but the 1st smart phone I had was a Samsung. It was easy to use , did more than I needed it to do. Was pretty tough to. I had an IPhone 5s for a year and a half , had the otter box and that saved the phone a few times. Took it out of the box 2 weeks ago because the screen was keeping it from reacting with my finger movements on the screen. A week out of the box , I cracked the screen. CRAP....just bought a 7s. Started to go back to the Samsung , I really think I like them better. The only reason I've got one of these phones is because of my daughter texting. And now texting for work. I hate texting. I wish I could go back to a flip phone , or better yet , an answering machine at the house.

17. sec_monkey

the Motorola smartphone division was sold to Lenovo in 2014. Lenovo is controlled by the chinese intel agencies

the old Motorola does not exist as it once did :( :mad:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Nokia still around? They used to make some rugged little phones.

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  19. sec_monkey

the Nokia smartphone division was sold to microsoft in 2014

Nokia does not make Nokia phones any more but their subsidiary Alcatel-Lucent does under the Alcatel brand.

The Nokia brand has been licensed to HMD Global which produces Nokia brand phones which are not Nokia phones.

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

If you can find one, the Intel Atom smart phones are hands down the best ever made, just not legal for sale here in the states. Wife brought one home from her last visit to Ukraine, man that sucker smokes my Galaxy and every iPhone I have ever seen! Slightly larger, and smoking fast internet and text speeds!

3M-TA3 and Motomom34 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7