Mountain Lion Spotted on CR3025 Erath County, TEXAS.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Aug 26, 2018.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

45 ACP High Velo

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

10 MM auto, maximum tissue displacement! Still, took a .308 for a one shot stop against hate and adrenalin!

Gator 45/70, HK_User and sec_monkey like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Where are you going to put him if you catch him? Realistically how far would the wildlife people relocate him?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Whats dat? Tractors,mules,horses,pi-rogues,bicycles,and some people have no titles.
    Oh, Forgot the donkeys.

Witch Doctor 01, Ganado and HK_User like this.
  5. HK_User

Live trap is a misnomer. I use a live trap so as not to kill innocent animals or not take fawns or small animals that do not harm my live stock.
    Wildlife people, who might that be?
    Game wardens here.
    The Mt Lion is a Predator of live stock, they are not protected here. I am not hunting them so all is well. Anyway I have a full Hunting Fishing License, in this state you must have a license to hunt but not to take a predator of your live stock.
    I have the pictures of the last loss.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  6. HK_User

Can you hunt mountain lions in Texas?
    While not technically lions like Cecil (mountain lions are actually cougars), according to the TPWD, mountain lions are classified as a nongame species, which means they are not protected in Texas, and can “be harvested at any time.”Jul 30, 20

Note. You still need a Hunting License if you HUNT during the normal seasons.

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  7. HK_User

Mountain lions are native to Texas and classified as nongame species. They occur in the Trans Pecos in primarily large undeveloped tracts of land. TPWD has records of mountain lions occurring in every county of Texas except for the northernmost counties of the Panhandle.

The average mountain lion home ranges in the Trans Pecos are 50,000 to 80,000 acres. Lions are reclusive by nature. You should consider yourself fortunate if you ever get the opportunity to see one of these big cats.

TPWD has collected mountain lion sighting and mortality data for the past 18 years. If you have a verifiable sighting or kill a mountain lion please contact your local biologist or game warden or call Texas Parks and Wildlife headquarters at 1-800-792-1112.

Because lions are secretive by nature it is rare to see a mountain lion; however, as we encroach upon their habitat conflict is bound to occur. It is wise to know what to do if you ever find yourself confronting a mountain lion.

What To Do If You Encounter A Mountain Lion
    • Pick all children up off the ground immediately.
    • Do NOT approach the lion
    • Stay calm. Talk calmly and move slowly.
    • Face the lion and remain in an upright position.
    • Do not turn your back on the lion. Back away slowly.
    • Do NOT run.
    • Do all you can to enlarge your image. Do NOT crouch down or try to hide
    • IF the lion is aggressive, throw rocks, sticks, or anything you can get your hands on.
    • If the lion attacks, fight back. Fighting back can drive off lions.

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The wardens allow you to keep the hide?

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

They have been spotted less than a thousand feet from my house in my gentrified near country suburbia, and at my last house one passed through my back yard. They have lost all fear of people since laws were passed to protect them and discourage hunting. The idjits out here don't fully get that in the wild animals eat each other and the ones that do the eating aren't opposed to some two legged munchies. I keep track of my critters and always keep a rifle handy even on my postage sized lot, though cougars/mtn lions are the least of my worries..

10. HK_User

Sure.

Ganado and sec_monkey like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Been hunted by lions a few times,
    First was on a hill side 100 feet above us, spotted with a flashlight ,but when my friend fired a shot with his .22 mag the cat left .
    Didn't sleep well that night.
    Other encounters of fresh track on our track .
    one encounter we were in norther calif and the cat jumped down for the hill side about 30 feet up not to the trail 4-5 feet ahead of me. We were there hunting pig and wearing doe in heat sent, so the mistake was understandable.
    We starred at one another for a few seconds and then he turned and trotted off , I chased him a bit till he dropped down further in the thick brush below .
    There are times I've hunted and felt the eyes on me and seen tracks to confirm . After a while I just assume that i'm being watched and remain vigilant.
    In search and rescue your out there all the time and critters are watching you pass by their hunting ground , best not to take them for granted . When other for is scarce, you are food .

12. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

This was caught on camera strolling through a neighbor's yard recently...

Attached Files:

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ooohh, Not good at all,That cat is limping and skinny which means all bets are off!

14. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

The vid went out to several of the residents in my area. I hope folks have enough sense to keep their pets indoors at night and keep an eye on their youngins...

15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

1. Aim
    2. Fire
    3. Keep firing until it drops dead
    4.Move scan and reload
    5. Shovel
    6. shut up

YMMV

16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Since I was a kid I have seen over 100 Cougar, have killed 5 and been involved in the removal( killing) of 18 others!

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7