Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Chizel21, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Chizel21

Chizel21 Monkey

Anyone upgrade yet? Wondering if it's very buggy or not. Trying decide if I should wait a few weeks or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Been waiting for ~3 days on my code for free upgrade of wife's new Macbook Air. Odd that I've gone to the 'Up to Date' site twice and haven't heard anything back from Apple.

Her new Air is pretty nice - all flash and fast, almost as fast as my Linux box...

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am still running Snow Leopard on my Backup Server, Momma's, and My, desktops... (iMacs) I will wait till I go on vacation in October, and can stop by an Apple store in Seattle, to get the Update. They should have at least one Rev by then.... NEVER buy the Bleeding edge, even from Apple...

4. melbo

BT, Apple only has OS upgrades via download now. The new MBA didn't come with DVDs or a USB, it's all in the cloud.
    There is not a hard upgrade option...

5. Chizel21

Chizel21 Monkey

Some info here
    http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/367190/20120726/mac-os-x-mountain-lion-apple-bugs.htm

Also a friend downloaded it yesterday and this is what he told me today

"My MBP is an early 2009 model running a 2.53 GHz Intel Core Duo and 8 GB of 1333MHz DDR3 ram

What I have noticed so far is that it is a little sluggish, but it could be the age of the computer, and some software was no longer supported. Of course all the software that I got from the app store and my adobe CS stuff was fine. But some things I downloaded off the net would not work with the new software.

More testing today"

My MacBook pro is newer with I7 but think i will still wait a couple weeks until the bugs are mostly worked out

6. melbo

Apple has a way of adding new features to the OS that makes aging hardware obsoltete. Her '08 (First gen) Air wasn't supported past Snow Leopard and realistically past Leopard. I look at her Mac lifecycle to be around 5 years. Which averages out to $300 a year for her Air. Not too bad really.

This latest Air is crazy fast responsive and nearly instant on.

7. BTPost

Melbo, that download would take a very LONG time, and use up much of my bandwidth allotment... and I can get it for the same Price, at the Apple Store, where the bandwidth is NOT an issue. Apple also has a ThumbDrive VERSION of the OS, that they Sell, or you can just bring your own, to the Store, and they will load it for you, for just the Sale Price. this way I can skip Lion altogether... .....

8. Chizel21

Chizel21 Monkey

Anybody do the update yet? How has it worked out for you? Any bugs?

9. BTPost

10. melbo

Upgrade went smooth on her Air. no problems and nice and fast. Boot from off is around 4 seconds to login screen.

11. Chizel21

Chizel21 Monkey

Cool, I have a couple friends with a few bugs still. I will prob make the upgrade within a few weeks

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7