Moving the forum on Friday night

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Jun 29, 2012.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

First of all, we apologize for the posting issues that you've all experienced on the forum this week. We upgraded some software on our server for security reasons and these upgrades had some unintended consequences for our version of Vbulletin forums. The current forum software we run is 12 year old technology (pretty old in internet years!) and our server framework has finally outgrown vBulletin.

We plan to migrate to a new forum platform tomorrow (Friday 6/29) night.

All of your accounts, posts and the rest of the forums will be imported and this migration should be seamless to you, our members. You will not need to re-register but you will need to log in.

Sometime tomorrow night around 10:00PM Eastern time, we will close these forums to make our move. Hopefully, all will go smoothly and after about 2 hours, we will reopen with the new forum. Although we will have redirects in place, the new forum will be at www.survivalmonkey.com instead of its current home at www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/

We'll have some clean up to perform after we reopen and some things may not look right at first. Please give us time to fix these new cosmetic issues we request that you post any error type problems in a new thread that will be created to capture them.

The past 3 days have been spent making sure that all of you and your content are preserved through this move. We've accomplished what should normally take a couple of weeks in 36 hours and I'm confident that we'll be fine sometime this weekend.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks

survivalmonkey.com

goinpostal and modernwoodsman like this.
  2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks melbo. Taking care of our second home as always. See you all on the other side!

ColtCarbine and Redneck Rebel like this.
  3. melbo

Ha! I'm just moving the data... The mods will have to clean up the construction mess.

Redneck Rebel likes this.
  4. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

[bow]

5. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

What forum software are you switching to?

6. melbo

7. ColtCarbine

Congratulations on a daunting task, thank you again.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Easy to find, learning to navigate system now!

9. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Wow, this is going to take getting used to. Big difference. Had to go to another server to even get on board. Will keep plugging along. Being "pooter" illiterate is a hindrance when the status quo is altered---LOL. Thanks for all the work gentlemen.

10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Only had a couple issues. Took a bit to learn where to go to be able to edit personal details. Had to reselect the avatar pic. Had to totally rebuild the Ignore list.
    What the heck is this "Alert" and "award trophy" nonsense? Similar to our old 'likes'?

11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I got a server not found message when I first searched for Survival monkey today but got through later.

12. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Old or new, as long as the monkeys are here is all that matters to me.

13. melbo

The 'Alerts' are to notifiy you when someone quotes you or like a post you've made and I think the idea was to seperate them from PMs, which are now called Private Conversations. The Trophys are a little goofy and I apparently forgot to disable them. I'll check on that - had a long night trying to make sure we lost no data. Now we just need to clean some of it up.

14. ColtCarbine

Totally agree with you 100%. Seems though that some are never happy or patient enough to wait for the Staff to get accustomed to the new software and make all the necessary changes.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7