Moving to the City- Urban Living

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Done.

Near or close to a city, personally I think of a city as anywhere you can get Chinese delivery. I will be a suburban prepper which is good for learning but unsettling. Since making this decision I have thought, what if...???? I think the biggest fear is pandemic because people are so close together that germs spread easier.

Mountain mama, Ura-Ki, 3M-TA3 and 4 others like this.
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Listen to your fears.

Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  3. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

incorrect in most cases, but it works out well when people have incorrect assumptions about you or your AO.

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  5. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Approved Gas Masks | Gas Masks and Filters, Chemical Suits and More And lots of vitamin C.

Motomom34, Ura-Ki, GOG and 1 other person like this.
  6. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

Keep an eye out for bicyclists in the Denver metroplex area. Many of the city roads have small lanes on the extreme right designated for bicyclists. They are militantly assertive in how they claim their space. Also, be on the lookout for designated bicyclist crossings where you, the vehicle driver, have to stop, rather than the bicyclists wait for a clear moment when there are no cars or trucks oncoming.

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

To me the thought is "If I had to bolt out of the Denver area, what direction do I want to go". That would tell me what areas to start looking at, because crossing the Denver metro area would be both dangerous and slow. I'd definitely be on one of the fringes close to my bug out road. I'd stay outside of the 470 ring/toll road.

All this Denver talk is making me hungry for the Thai Basil restaurant in the Park Meadows Mall.

Motomom34, Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I still think you should look out side the city a little bit, Littleton, alverda, Brighton, Broomfield. ect... Plenty of cool places that would keep you close, but still just out of reach when things get interesting!

Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

So I can not recall if you plan to purchase a city home for the duration or if you are just renting. If you are going to purchase and have some extra "cash", you could always do one of them garage survival shelters without the neighbors ever knowing. Gives you a place to shelter if needed for a certain duration. Just a thought....... cut out the floor, dig a hole, drop the shelter in at night and cover to current state.... with a hidden hatch ;)

mysterymet and sec_monkey like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have now relocated and the first thing I did was scope out water. This is a drainage ditch that runs close by.
    IMG_1599.JPG IMG_1597.JPG

It has garbage and a little water. If the summer is dry then I know that I cannot count on this for water. I have thought about trying to follow it as much as possible. I would like o know what runs past it so I can get an idea of where the water comes from. I doubt it is from a fresh water source, most likely run off from the roadway.

Second water source is bit further. It is a golf course. Golf courses always have ponds. Golf courses are also known for using chemicals on their grass. Plus golf course ponds are filled with sediment, not very fresh water and lots of goose poo. So which is the lesser of two evils? A drainage ditch of run off or a golf course pond. The pond is out in the open so I have no cover collecting water and a further walk. Water is still an issue.

One thing I will say is that the city has hardwood. People plant trees and many that I have seen would make great firewood and have edible properties. Coming out of an area that was mainly fir, it is nice to see all the deciduous trees. Another thing is all the bike trails and sidewalks. The chamber of commerce has maps of all the trails and areas. I now have a few more footpaths/trail routes to get back to where we came from. While living at the old place, we had a pull back location. That location is still valid just a bit of a trip to get there by foot.

Yard Dart, Ganado, GOG and 2 others like this.
  11. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Please keep us in the loop. I can't help it, I worry. :)

Ganado likes this.
  1. Bunker Bob
  2. Tempstar
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. AD1
  8. john316
  9. Brokor
  10. Dark Jester
  11. chelloveck